• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    My stocks are also down 48% not a nice time to look at my portfolio
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    How on earth did you lose 48%?! 😳

Is this from the peak in November, or just this month? It’s normal for some high flyers to drop more than the overall market, and 48% in a single position is not uncommon during a correction period or bear market, but 48% over an entire portfolio is something I haven’t seen since my early rookie mistakes.
    Alea jacta est!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Be careful with crypto, you can get your face ripped off. I certainly wouldn’t hold it long term but that’s just me. I believe all the billionaires made out and got out last year.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Kex
    Options
    Crypto is far more volatile than stocks.

Usually with stocks (other than speculative stocks), IMO it’s fairly straightforward to know where you’re going and whether you should be worried about momentary dips, like March 2020 or now. When you have a good grasp of what you’re invested in, and why, fluctuations aren’t usually a cause for concern. In fact, they’re frequently a buying opportunity.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    P.S. I assumed Willow was talking about stocks in his “portfolio” earlier, but maybe not. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • Willow
    Options
    I agree, I'm not concerned it was just a shock to see it all drop. I'm in for the long haul.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Oh, that could be as he mentioned his stocks also are down 48%, I was just referring to crypto. He must hold other speculative stocks other than crypto to be down like that.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Kex
    Options
    Without getting too far off the crypto discussion (there are some parallels, obviously), huge drops are not common in stocks. For example:
    • Investor Smith invested $100K in a reasonably balanced portfolio of stocks 5 years ago
    • Smith could easily have been holding $400K by New Year’s Day this year (if anyone thinks this is an unreasonable expectation, they can DM me to discuss further).
    • In this scenario, by today, they might be losing 10-15% from their peak last November, so they’d still be holding $440-460K.
    Why would they worry?
    Alea jacta est!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    Hold. I’m not moving out of crypto. I was about to buy more ETH but will wait and see.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Willow
    Options
    Same I'm not selling any...
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    I sure hope this passes.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Willow
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    I sure hope this passes.

Just like bad gas, it's painful but will pass
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    given the tyrannical actions in the Great White North, this crypto currency is something to highly consider
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Willow
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    given the tyrannical actions in the Great White North, this crypto currency is something to highly consider

It's absolutely nuts what's going on downtown here in Ottawa. This is not typical Canada.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    edited February 2022
    Options
    It's aboot freedom to make your own decisions aboot your body. It's aboot the government trying to control every aspect of your life.!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Willow
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    It's aboot freedom to make your own decisions aboot your body. It's aboot the government trying to control every aspect of your life.!

Oh trust me I know. I'm all for freedom of choice. Just strange to see such a huge shitte show downtown
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    I know it’s a pita

But the stand has to start somewhat

Where I draw the line is when one starts physically destroying property and stealing
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Reported
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,946
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    I agree, I'm not concerned it was just a shock to see it all drop. I'm in for the long haul.

Still feeling this way??

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,946
    Options
    Curious how many of you lost you a$$ in this. I’m glad I stayed far away from it..
  • rebelsoul
    Options
    Got out way before the drop , bought doge at 0.05 for $10,000 and sold at 0.65 was a nice take . Waiting for doge 1 to launch, a week or two before I will buy another $10,000 and take another big profit.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Curious how many of you lost you a$$ in this. I’m glad I stayed far away from it..

I built and manage rigs for a friend of mine. He did pretty good and got out before the big crash. We are in wait mode now.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    Got out way before the drop , bought doge at 0.05 for $10,000 and sold at 0.65 was a nice take . Waiting for doge 1 to launch, a week or two before I will buy another $10,000 and take another big profit.

Yeah, kids came home for the weekend when Doge was doing it's thing. They bought in at .05, I told the wife to grab a couple K's worth at $.12 and yes...we all bailed out when it go into $.60's.

Paid the taxes and bought me another pinball machine.

• Willow
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »

Still feeling this way??

I pulled out all before it went down big time. I still have some here and there but nothing worth losing sleep over if it tanks
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Cryptocurrency easily explained.

Not long ago, a merchant found monkeys living near a village.

One day he came to the village stating that he wanted to buy monkeys for $100 each.

The villagers thought that the man must be crazy. Why would somebody buy stray monkeys at $100 each?

Still, people caught monkeys and sold them to the Merchant for $100 each.

This news spread like wildfire and more people caught monkeys and sold them to the Merchant.

After a few days, the Merchant announced that he would now buy monkeys for $200 each.

The laziest villagers now ran around to catch the remaining monkeys which they sold at $200 each.

The Merchant then announced that he would buy monkeys for $500 each!

The villagers caught six or seven monkeys, which were all that were left, and got $500 each.

They then waited anxiously for the next announcement.

Then the Merchant proclaimed that he was going on holiday for a week, but when he returned would buy monkeys at $1000 each. He also said that, in his absence, his Employee would be in charge to take care of the monkeys he had purchased. Then the Merchant went on holiday.

The villagers were frantic as there were no more monkeys left for them to sell at $1000 each as promised by the Merchant, but then the Merchant's Employee publicized that he would secretly sell some monkeys at $700 each.

This news spread like wildfire and the next day the villagers queued up near the monkey cage.

The Employee sold all the monkeys at $700 each. The rich villagers bought monkeys in large lots, and the poor borrowed money from money lenders and bought the rest of the monkeys.

The villagers took care of their monkeys and waited for the Merchant to return.

When the Merchant didn't return they searched to for the Employee, but he could not be found either.

Eventually the Villagers realized that they had been duped into buying the useless stray monkeys at $700 each and were now unable to sell them for any amount.

The monkey business is now known as cryptocurrency.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,976
    Options
    I never invest in anything I don't understand and even though I now understand, I still ain't doin' it!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,721
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Cryptocurrency easily explained.

Not long ago, a merchant found monkeys living near a village.

One day he came to the village stating that he wanted to buy monkeys for $100 each.

The villagers thought that the man must be crazy. Why would somebody buy stray monkeys at $100 each?

Still, people caught monkeys and sold them to the Merchant for $100 each.

This news spread like wildfire and more people caught monkeys and sold them to the Merchant.

After a few days, the Merchant announced that he would now buy monkeys for $200 each.

The laziest villagers now ran around to catch the remaining monkeys which they sold at $200 each.

The Merchant then announced that he would buy monkeys for $500 each!

The villagers caught six or seven monkeys, which were all that were left, and got $500 each.

They then waited anxiously for the next announcement.

Then the Merchant proclaimed that he was going on holiday for a week, but when he returned would buy monkeys at $1000 each. He also said that, in his absence, his Employee would be in charge to take care of the monkeys he had purchased. Then the Merchant went on holiday.

The villagers were frantic as there were no more monkeys left for them to sell at $1000 each as promised by the Merchant, but then the Merchant's Employee publicized that he would secretly sell some monkeys at $700 each.

This news spread like wildfire and the next day the villagers queued up near the monkey cage.

The Employee sold all the monkeys at $700 each. The rich villagers bought monkeys in large lots, and the poor borrowed money from money lenders and bought the rest of the monkeys.

The villagers took care of their monkeys and waited for the Merchant to return.

When the Merchant didn't return they searched to for the Employee, but he could not be found either.

Eventually the Villagers realized that they had been duped into buying the useless stray monkeys at $700 each and were now unable to sell them for any amount.

The monkey business is now known as cryptocurrency.

A BSL-3/4 facility pays bookoo dollars for monkeys.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    I used to smoke it when I was younger. Quality crypt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0KAc3SCOHM