Loud blow back sound from subwoofer

Options
I have an older(8+ years) Polk surround sound set of speakers(7) attached to a Pioneer receiver and my Panasonic TV. We're getting periodic very loud "cracks" of sound coming from our subwoofer. The connections seem tight but I'm wondering if the cord connecting to the receiver should be replaced. Or is the problem likely to be a failing speaker?

Would appreciate any comments/advice.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    The subwoofer's built-in amplifier is failing.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    edited February 2023
    Options
    It’s passing a little gas….
    It is going to eventually shat on you
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    lolol, laughed way too hard at that.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I was thinking of cross-referencing the "blowhole" thread when I saw this thread's title -- but that actually wouldn't have been helpful at all...

The failing subwoofer amplifier sounds, unfortunately, like an all-too-likely culprit. :(

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    Options
    Time to shop for a new sub. Since this appears to be for HT use might I suggest looking at SVS.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk