Just one song to impress the uninitiated - Which one?

2»

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Glad you liked it!
  • daddyjt wrote: »
    We've all been there - A friend, acquaintance, neighbor or such is visiting your home. They see your music rig and ask "What is all THAT for?"

I recently had this happen - one of my wife's friends was over, and she asked why I had an "old fashioned" stereo, as opposed to a blu-tooth speaker hooked to my phone. My wife rolls her eyes and says "One song, then we're going back upstairs..." In this case, I asked the friend what kind of music she enjoys - 90's rock/grunge. Not one of my mainstay genres, but I have a good one - Running Blind off the Godsmack SACD "The Other Side". We ended up listening for about a half hour - Wife was NOT amused...

This encounter got me thinking, if you only have ONE SONG to try and sell someone on the merits of a well thought out 2ch listening rig, what would it be? My normal go-to would have to be Private Investigations, off the Love Over Gold SACD from Dire Straits...

@daddyjt, I really like your story in this thread and the posts it has generated.

I am still thinking!

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited February 2023
    One more track that I haven't used but at a Polkfest at HQ, I know Stu was in the room, I think Al was there too and someone from sales but I can't remember for sure. They were demo'ing the brand new LSi-RTS105 in-wall speakers in the HT demo room. I don't remember the source, I want to say it was a Denon SACD/DVD player but I do remember seeing the monster of a Conrad Johnson amp. The in-walls were all covered by screens at first and before the demo started, the sales guy told us that none of the speakers that we could see in the room were active. 'Cause all the inwalls were behind screens.

Then they threw this track up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GimLuOUVkxg

To say everyone was floored was an understatement.

It was playing in multi-channel mode, not stereo but you honestly felt like you were on the stage watching Peter Gabriel riding the bike around you.

At a later Polkfest we were all at Stu's house and he had the same LSi-RTS105 in-walls and somebody found the Peter Gabriel - "Growing Up Live" DVD they used at HQ a few years earlier and we threw it up on the system at Stu's 'cause I wanted to see if they sounded as good in a home environment as they did in the perfect demo room. They did but I wanted to see what the other systems were like with the same track. We went to the other rigs that were set up to listen and while all were different, the one thing that was impressive was this track. The recording is just incredibly mastered. I never heard it on an SDA rig but the way the crowd is around the stage makes for a unique soundstage and it's completely immersive on even a well set up stereo rig. It's one of the better live recordings if not the best live recording I've ever heard. I'd expect nothing less from Peter Gabriel, though.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited February 2023
    I love Peter Gabriel SACD's as you said mastered beautifully. I had two live DVD's that I would sit and watch from time to time as they are just a great way to listen to music and watch a concert. I probably should seek out some on Bluray for the two I lost.

Secret World Live was one I had.

This one is excellent on SACD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Q79lls1f0
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited February 2023
    https://youtu.be/JzrDs_Vaho4

Black Cow
    This ones always a treat
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Jstas wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Ok well when you don't like it, remember it's because your system isn't resolving enough and/or doesn't dig deep enough.

Is that performance art like when Beck sampled a vacuum cleaner running through a feedback filter and made a whole song with it?

'Cause it sounds like Billain dropped the mixing board down a flight of stairs, played it back out of curiosity and thought "Now there's a hit song!"

Sea change for my reference
  • First time listening to Dark Side.
    Oh my what an experience.

1pam88qtgdeu.jpg
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Ever?!? No way.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    "Old fashioned stereo"... Reminds of my college years, when I had assembled a respectable, nice sounding rig (with my newly purchased RTA-12's) and someone visiting said "it sounds just like the radio, only louder". Gave a whole meaning to the saying "it fell on deaf ears".

Another cut to add to the list would be The Mind of Love from K.D. Lang's Ingenue. The whole album is very, very well recorded and her voice and the instrumentation are downright beautiful.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses