Just one song to impress the uninitiated - Which one?

Options
We've all been there - A friend, acquaintance, neighbor or such is visiting your home. They see your music rig and ask "What is all THAT for?"

I recently had this happen - one of my wife's friends was over, and she asked why I had an "old fashioned" stereo, as opposed to a blu-tooth speaker hooked to my phone. My wife rolls her eyes and says "One song, then we're going back upstairs..." In this case, I asked the friend what kind of music she enjoys - 90's rock/grunge. Not one of my mainstay genres, but I have a good one - Running Blind off the Godsmack SACD "The Other Side". We ended up listening for about a half hour - Wife was NOT amused...

This encounter got me thinking, if you only have ONE SONG to try and sell someone on the merits of a well thought out 2ch listening rig, what would it be? My normal go-to would have to be Private Investigations, off the Love Over Gold SACD from Dire Straits...
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Probably Roger Water's, "Amused to Death".

So many great tracks to choose from...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    It really depends on the person listening. For example, not everyone would like or fully appreciate hearing Herbie Hancock's Watermelon Man and the way it scatters multi layered instrumental sounds all around the soundstage. Someone may be more impressed with just hearing Michael Buble singing a tune front and center.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I use the Wailin Jennys' Bring Me L'il Water, Silvy from Live at Mauch Chunk Opera House.
    Hasn't failed yet.

EDIT: If I have to use a boom/thwack track to get the attention of the occasional knuckledragger, I usually trot out Synaesthetic from the Blue Man Group Audio CD. It is also very good for finding loose fasteners in loudspeakers. Srsly.

B):#

PS My hifi's actually quite simple -- one switch turns it all on or off. :)

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Just one song...no such thing

https://youtu.be/xXBNlApwh0c

Marta's voice is engaging ...you're in for a treat

https://youtu.be/qMIdNmxISms

https://youtu.be/LQUXuQ6Zd9w

https://youtu.be/QDsI6YcHhE8
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Really depends but I have like 3 or 4 track play lists that I build for gatherings I would default to for sure
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Mark That Godsmack SACD is an EXCELLENT piece.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Anything with finger cymbals.
  • treitz3
    Options
    One song, Drew. Get with the program haus...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Billain - Codename
  • Osarion
    Osarion Posts: 180
    Options
    Hugh Masekela "Stimela" live version from HOPE LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g2GfOyioiQ
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Depends.

If I don't have access to the Internet (depends on what rig it is) I will throw in "Towards Home" by Jonathan Elias. Just listen to it. It's a stellar test track especially for SDA demos. On an SDA rig that violin is absolutely ethereal and floats all over the sound stage while everything else stays planted right where it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDurza1o2dA

If I can get to the internet I found a couple good ones that will give any system a good workout.

First is Natalia Doco - Quédate Luna

This is the remixed album version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCRBW7BHXGE&list=PLLxYhUXCEqGJPcqQWL-g7yeNt9S6XRPCt&index=77

But this is her singing it solo with an acoustic guitar. One of those tracks where you'll hear her fingers plucking the strings and her breathing. But, it's there in the album track but, what's more apparent in the acoustic video is her voice has a vibrato on sustained notes that's subtle. On, like, my cellphone, it just sounds like one note. But on the Totem Acoustics/Peachtree rig you hear it and it opens eyes because it sounds like she's right in the room with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf87iItW13g&list=PLLxYhUXCEqGJPcqQWL-g7yeNt9S6XRPCt&index=74

But if people just come in with a pissing contest in mind and ask "So let's see what this thing's got!", I'll throw this up:

Else - "Paris"

The thing about this track is that half of this track you can't hear if your system doesn't dig below like 50 Hz. It's not blow your ear drums out kind of bass. It's musical and crystal clear and critical to the song. The track gives a good workout and on an appropriate system, it will pressurize the room enough that your listener is not only going to hear it but they're going to feel it too. All the way down to their jibbly bits. Like seriously, it digs deep and you feel it inside you. It's hard to explain but it's a bit unsettling. It feels like if you get startled real bad and your heart starts pounding as your body works through the adrenaline. That thumping inside you from your heart, inside your head that your heart makes...that's how the low end of this track feels. Everyone I've played this for looks at me with wide eyes right around the 0:38 mark. I've even been rocking this track in the Lincoln with the 500 watt sub with the windows closed and I'm not even at 1/4 volume but people next to me are looking at me because they feel it not so much as hear it. Probably because their mirrors are vibrating too. But the dynamic range in not only loudness of the track but the extension of the frequency range pretty much shows off everything. It shuts everyone with a big, cocky mouth up. Especially when I had the Amazings hooked up and all 8 of those woofers were trying to jump out of their baskets and the meters on the Silver 7t's were barely tickling 50%. Push it to where the needles were pinging the top of the meter and this track was shaking things off shelves on the other end of the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_zk8f6aBQk

Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,591
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

😳 Well done with those selections, sir! The Black Sabbath track was a definite divergence, but the female voice is a thing of pure beauty. Well-recorded and played back on a good / great system, it tells all, IMO.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Blue Man Group.

PVC IV.

This on my Polk SDA-SRS2s is simply soul-shaking and jaw-dropping.

https://youtu.be/W1rhrCzmiW4
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Def Leppard - Animal

Baby Shark fan, or Lawrence Welk - they all get Animal.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

😳 Well done with those selections, sir! The Black Sabbath track was a definite divergence, but the female voice is a thing of pure beauty. Well-recorded and played back on a good / great system, it tells all, IMO.

Yes I am a huge fan of the female vocals but,

Find a copy of Paranoid SMH CD Japan and it will blow your mind
    Another rock must have is the Mofi Santana Abraxas ...Black Magic Woman, sublime
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    Anything of the Dire Straits Brothers in Arm SACD or Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad album.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • vader540is
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    We've all been there - A friend, acquaintance, neighbor or such is visiting your home. They see your music rig and ask "What is all THAT for?"

I recently had this happen - one of my wife's friends was over, and she asked why I had an "old fashioned" stereo, as opposed to a blu-tooth speaker hooked to my phone. My wife rolls her eyes and says "One song, then we're going back upstairs..." In this case, I asked the friend what kind of music she enjoys - 90's rock/grunge. Not one of my mainstay genres, but I have a good one - Running Blind off the Godsmack SACD "The Other Side". We ended up listening for about a half hour - Wife was NOT amused...

This encounter got me thinking, if you only have ONE SONG to try and sell someone on the merits of a well thought out 2ch listening rig, what would it be? My normal go-to would have to be Private Investigations, off the Love Over Gold SACD from Dire Straits...

https://youtu.be/7zjU28f6sE4
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Melody’s Gardot - Preacherman

https://youtu.be/gOwoE8XtPFU

Huge soundsyptage, very dense and complex. Bass digs very deep, and you won’t be able to separate the opening bass line from the acoustic guitar that tracks with it on many rigs…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    Bury Me Not On the Lone Prairie, from Buddy Miller’s Majestic Silver Strings.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Osarion wrote: »
    Hugh Masekela "Stimela" live version from HOPE LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g2GfOyioiQ

If you can find a Burmester CD that has this on it? Snag it. It puts the RB version to absolute shame. Even if it's the cheap Chinese 3 box set for 30 bucks. Reference material, for sure.

We have always referred to it as the, "Choo-choo song". Love, love, love the dynamics!

Tom
  • Clipdat
    Options
    But what did you think of "Billain - Codename"?
  • treitz3
    Options
    If you are asking me, the system is down right now due to construction/reconfiguration. So, I haven't listened to any of the songs on this list yet. I should be back in business by next Monday.

Tom
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Ok well when you don't like it, remember it's because your system isn't resolving enough and/or doesn't dig deep enough.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Melody’s Gardot's - Preacherman
    Fixed it for ya. Great track, bro.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    But what did you think of "Billain - Codename"?
    Ok well when you don't like it, remember it's because your system isn't resolving enough and/or doesn't dig deep enough.
    As my daughter would say, "It makes me nervous." For me, personally, I can't connect to it emotionally, but I do see how it presents challenges for a stereo system, from a performance standpoint.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options

Is that performance art like when Beck sampled a vacuum cleaner running through a feedback filter and made a whole song with it?

'Cause it sounds like Billain dropped the mixing board down a flight of stairs, played it back out of curiosity and thought "Now there's a hit song!"
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!