cable preference

Norm E. Dickey
Norm E. Dickey Posts: 36
Has anyone here or know anyone running ANALYSIS PLUS speaker or interconnect cables? I am considering purchasing a set of thier OVAL 9 speaker cables. From what I know (not all that much) of skin effect and basic current laws, thier stuff seems quite logical and a much different aproach than most others. It would be nice to get opinions before forking out cash.
What are your guys's preferences (aside from Monster, which all my stuff is) anyone run exotic makes or maybe silver or gold speaker cables? How about interconnects?

If I did this correctly here is Analysis plus's site:*

http://www.analysis-plus.com/

* I have no affiliation with them, I just think that thier site is cool and logical.
Welcome to my home, enter of your own free will and leave a bit of the happiness that you bring. -D
Post edited by Norm E. Dickey on

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    Looks cool! But, I have around 100' of speaker wire run + or - a bit and off the top of my head looking at the Oval 9 that would be $3300.00 for speaker cable? Are you kidding me? No way I would spend that kind of money on them unless I was rich beyond my wildest dreams, and I am far from it! $3300.00 would put a pretty nice new HDTV in my house. :D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    I don't know man,
    They look nice but is there anywhere you can test them out first.Bring your current wire with you and test against?
    I never buy anything before I hear it go.And that includes wire as well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Norm E. Dickey
    Norm E. Dickey Posts: 36
    edited May 2002
    I wouldn't use them in home theater, I would only use them in my home audio system, so an 8' pair is enough. I haven't asked them if they have trial pairs, I was hoping that someone here used them.
    Welcome to my home, enter of your own free will and leave a bit of the happiness that you bring. -D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2002
    I loved them at first sight, then I scrolled down.:eek:

You might want to ask over on WWW.AudioAsylum.com.

I was under the impression that copper conducted better than gold. Gold is much less corrosive, but isn't as free with electron flow. Silver is the best of both worlds which is a contributor to the harshness. I could be wrong, and I usually am.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • cgravil
    cgravil Posts: 101
    edited May 2002
    my chemistry teacher taught us in College that gold is the superior conducter.... it's expensive as hell but superior.

that's my 2 farthings worth.

Clay
    The probibility of someone watching you is directly related to the stupidity of the action in question.:eek:
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    Your chemistry teacher is incorrect. Copper is a better conductor than gold, but it is corrosive. That's why they gold plate things. Aluminum is a pretty good conductor as well, but I think gold is a little better. Silver is the best conductor, but it is unfortunately the most expensive.

Aaron
  • cgravil
    edited May 2002
    and to think I could have spent all of that money from college on a better home theater.

I dug out my chem book... Copper Silver and Gold are listed as super-conductors from first to last as the best... Shoulda paid attention to the book not the Prof.

'cest le vive'

Clay
    The probibility of someone watching you is directly related to the stupidity of the action in question.:eek:
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    i have a pair of distech silver plated oxygen free copper 12g wires and they dont sound any differant than my monster 12g flat wire, so i think that only the gage of the wire will make any defferance at long lenths.

there is a lot of hipe on wires, the way you connect them will make the biggest differance, a loose connetion will effect the sound more than what money you pay for wires, the high price is not going to make them sound any better they can make them look better only, i think the best way is take a cheap set of 12g wire lets say 8' a $1,000 pair of 8' wires and compair them and see if there is a $900 differance.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2002
    I tried to respond earlier but lost the whole damn thing!!!

I agree with Joe in the fact that we reach a point of diminishing returns.
    The difference between Gold and Copper regarding conductivity is about is ~ 16*10^^4/(Ohm*cm) or not much as compared to Platinum your looking at 55*10^^4/(Ohm/cm) but **** who can afford that or even tips. Huge cost difference from material to material.

If we relate Resistance ~ Lenght/Area we see that if we double the area, (reduce the guage), we reduce the resistance by 1/2. Big return on investment.

Gold, silver and OFE CU should minimize the rate of oxidation and thats where the value is realized in the tips. But sum may disagree with me??
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • cgravil
    edited June 2002
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    16*10^^4/(Ohm*cm).... 55*10^^4/(Ohm/cm)....

uuummmm... yeah what he said.

Actually I think he's right on this, We use similar equations when we're planning new plant extension <hardline> for the cable system, to figure out if we need to plan laseramps into the new system area. But for now... stupid.gif
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2002
    Cable Systems are Coooool! I was through the TCI system throughout Western PA and was amazed. I was @ Sprint and we were integrating wireless through their fiber/Coax Net. Neat Stuff.
    ***WAREMTAE***