Anyone here have any experience with the small "Signature Elite" loudspeakers for music?

ES15? ES20? even the little ES10?

Anyone here who owns a pair, or even has spent any appreciable time listening to music (via any medium) using a pair?

I like the size and the aesthetics (based on photos) and they're inexpensive enough.
Are they any good?

Thanks!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    You should definitely buy a pair and let us know.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I'm sure you know this Dr. Hardy, you get what you pay for in many instances. I suppose it depends on your use and expectations. Knowing Polk and within it's size and $$$ limits they probably sound pretty good.

All that being said, I've not heard a pair.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2023
    Yup.
    Of course, the $50 off sale ended Sunday. :)
    I need a small pair - ahem - of loudspeakers in the downstairs 'den'.
    I may try rehabbing the XOs of the dump find CSW Seventeens that have been there since we moved into House 4.2, but I am not sanguine. That said, their size is perfect.

I'd probably buy a pair of R100s in cherry -- even if they were vinyl. :)
    R200s are too big (yes, that's what she said -- rather literally ;)).

Of course, a pair of BBC spec LS-3/5A minimonitors would be just right, too... don't think that's in the budget.
    Never found a pair of those at the dump. :#

I like good, cheap stuff.
    Thanks, and still hoping for a report from the fanbase.
    There was one comment on AK about the ES-20. It was positive, but not very effusive. :|

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The Wharfedale Denton 80 were on sale for $499 on clearance last month but looks like they may be out of stock at that price now. They're as close to an LS-3/5A sound and appearance as one can get for that money new.

R100s or L100s would be my choice. The ES20s aren't that small really.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Hey Doc,
    I don't know about the ES, but I have had pleasing experience with the regular Signature S20s. I thought they were right decent for combo use, and did a little comparison on that Signature series thread with my friend Flakey Jimmy
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174277/polk-signature-series-official-discussion/p17

I know you said 20s would be too big, but what's your planned use? Just 2.0? For tv, combo, or just a little stereo?
    I disabled signatures.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    msg wrote: »
    Hey Doc,
    I don't know about the ES, but I have had pleasing experience with the regular Signature S20s. I thought they were right decent for combo use, and did a little comparison on that Signature series thread with my friend Flakey Jimmy
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174277/polk-signature-series-official-discussion/p17

I know you said 20s would be too big, but what's your planned use? Just 2.0? For tv, combo, or just a little stereo?

I was going to post a similar experience. I had to downsize from my beloved LS90 based rig. Ended up with the S20's. Paired with a competent sub I don't feel like I gave up much. JMHO..
  • mhardy6647
    I am thinking size-wise the S20 or ES20 would be poifect.
    I will try fresh, decent quality capacitors in the CSW Seventeens before ditching them -- but according to the one account I could find on teh webz (on AK, so... you know... who knows?) they are purported to contain a 4 uF and a 41 uF capacitor in the XO. The latter's gonna have to be an NP electrolytic for fiscal, and probably also for volumetric reasons, I reckon. :(

20082332145_9068bb39de_c.jpg

This is the other pair of CSW Seventeens I used to have -- the current pair are "oak" Contact paper, I mean, vinyl veneer. :#

Thanks for sharing that link, @msg! I didn't find that searchin' around yesterday (I did look for the small Signature series as well as the current "Signature Elite" -- but obviously not very well!).

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    you're welcome! I have to use google to search the site if I need to get serious:
    in case you weren't aware, without quotes into the address bar of a google search bar:
    "term1 term2 site:forum.polkaudio.com"

In this case, I searched for "flakey jimmy site:forum.polkaudio.com" and it brought me right in :D
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2023
    Thanks @MSG! Yup, I do know that, although I often do it as a 'last' resort, only because it takes -- you know -- two clicks. Two-click shopping. ;)

It was extremely interesting to read through that thread -- Jimmy notwithstanding ;) -- although it was kind of distressing that I had completely forgotten about it. :/ I participated fairly extensively when it was nascent. :#

Seeing it again reminded me that I was very excited (for lack of a better word) to see Polk re-embrace what IMO was always its strength -- good sound in a high-value package. "American HiFi" made in China. :)

In all seriousness, little did we know then but "Polk" (whatever that brand name is nowadays) had even better in store for us long-time fanbois. :)

I should just buy a pair of R100s (or even L100s), shouldn't I?
    Guess I should look at the dimensions of those...

• mhardy6647
    PS "Flakey Jimmy" sounds like the name of a character in a Bruce Stringbean opus, ca. Greetings from Asbury Park.
    B)

https://youtu.be/w3quyLpUuhk
  • Costco had the ES15 on sale for $40 off, final price is $200, through 1/6. Not sure if this is helpful to you as you mentioned the ES20, but thought I’d post anyway. And they have a great return policy.
  • mhardy6647
    Actually, I am more interested in the ES15 due to size.
    Nearest Costco, though... isn't near, so we're not members any more.
    We have BJs (regional 'warehouse club' chain from MA), which is similar but doesn't have the breadth of product offerings that Costco has.