New speakers for the man cave

Comments

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    In a way they did with the L800.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Looks very nice bro. I'll second that thought on a re-vamped M7.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited December 2022
    Another note. These do ship in four boxes of 40 lbs plus for each box and have a pair of cotton gloves included with each speaker. Classy. They are left and right channel specific speakers. The packaging of these is first rate with lots of foam padding even for the mostly metal stands. I have installed larger rubber bumpers on the stands than what they come with but the stands are spiked with nice large cups for them to sit in on hardwood floors.
  • Emlyn
    edited December 2022
    My verdict after about 30-40 hours of use. The Lintons are a pretty close representation of a large BBC monitor without the expense of other modern versions. Very listenable, especially for vocals, classical music, and 1960s to 1980s pop/rock recordings. Not really a rocking out type of speaker with recent music because they're not designed to be really dynamic although they can still swing that if it's desired. In my case the ideal setup is about 8 feet apart toed in and about 10 feet from the listening area in a 20 x 20 room. They don't have a narrow sweet spot at all.

These are one of several pairs of speakers I'll pull out every now and then to listen to for a month or so. I enjoy the variety of speakers and don't like getting stuck on one type. Price to performance on these is excellent.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I've been interested in the Linton's since they were first released. I've really had to fight the urge to pick up a pair, but I weakened on Christmas Day. :)
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited December 2022
    Merry Christmas to yourself!

I think you’ll like them.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Mike Reeter
    msg wrote: »
    I haven't even read all these posts, but after some talks with Em and Drew, I bit. Paul wouldn't talk to me.

Arrived today. Crutchfield speaker and stand deal. My first modern non-Polk speaker. Short version - landscape of sound within hours of run time. Airy. Tons of stereo activity. Clean clean mids and, puuuunchy, clean, underlaid bass. Super clean 3-way. Blown away.

It was just too tempting at that price, now I'm wondering why I took so long to pick up a pair of these. I guess I had read too many 'Audiophile' ramblings over the past three years.

• Emlyn
    edited December 2022
    I added a set of larger 1.8 inch rubber bumpers (link below) on mine stuck on the stands for the speakers to sit on. Figured under $30 was fair. Not sure if they have any benefit over the small ones included, but I think they look cool anyway. I had a spare set of Isoacoustics Gaia II available to me so swapped the already high quality spikes on the bottoms of the stands for those. I'm finding they are quite placement flexible from a large to a small room.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095JY5CML?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited December 2022
    I've been interested in the Linton's since they were first released. I've really had to fight the urge to pick up a pair, but I weakened on Christmas Day. :)

What do you think Mike? This officially makes 4 of us, I think.
    EDIT: HA! nevermind Mike, I just saw your post!

I'm friggin' blown away, and I'm less than 10hrs in.

The form factor reminds me of @steveinaz 's setup before he moved - Schiit, Steve what were those boxy speakers you used to have? Tip o the tongue - some British brand I think you moved to another member...

These Wharfedales are sofa king airy. I'm running mine with my newly coveted old stock HK 990 which is currently - I hate to say - making my Musical Fidelity gear feel neglected. It's just gorgeous. This is a huge compliment to the HK, because for 2 - 3yrs I was completely satisfied and thought I was done!!! The HK 990 was just a nostalgia/grudge acquisition that popped up at the right time, with the right seller, and the right amount of Death Wish coffee in me.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Mike Reeter
    edited December 2022

What do you think Mike? This officially makes 4 of us, I think.
    EDIT: HA! nevermind Mike, I just saw your post!

I'm friggin' blown away, and I'm less than 10hrs in.

I'm thinking maybe Wharfedale tweeted the x-overs at some point, almost every review I've read since their release, termed them as warm, almost mushy. I'm hearing clear, clean 'semi' extended highs, along with a nice midrange and tight Bass. Impressive right outa the box. Plus, I'm just in love with the looks of them B)

• msg
    Couldn't agree more.
    Definitely not sensing mush.
    So much air. Sweet, easy detail.
    The midrange... I'm in love. This separation and detail... I can only attribute to the 3-way; dedicated low frequency driver and mid in its own enclosure? Gives the ranges room to play.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    I know I should be going to sleep, but it's one of "those nights" where every track is a new experience.
    "one more..."
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Really glad that you guys are digging your new Lintons! This is what it's all about! Can't believe these are priced at $1,500 with stands right now. Crazy good deal for what you get.

I've liked the design of these speakers since they were originally released. I don't have the room to accommodate them, but I reviewed the smaller Wharfedale EVO4.2 and really liked those. It sounds like these Lintons share the same house sound as the EVOs.

Crossover photo:
    5ssc4769k71h.png

Build photos (Click left arrow to view chronologically): https://www.facebook.com/wharfedalehifi/photos/a.696159860459872/2555004901242016

• Mike Reeter
    I'm surprised by the scale the Linton's are showing, I rolled out my 3.1TL's and the Linton's are laying out a stage in width and height that rivals the SDA's in all perimeters. I have them setup at 24" from the front wall to the back of the cabinets, about 7'8" center-center, setting back around 9' and getting good depth at this point.

Smooth, detailed, airy and very accurate. Are the speakers disappearing and projecting that illusive 3D Image? Not quite yet, but neither did any SDA's that I've had over the years. But, I'm in my second hour with the Linton's, I have a feeling their going to continue to ripen in the hours ahead :)

Unbelievable Value B)
  • Emlyn
    edited December 2022
    I'm finding they put out a nice wall of sound even with modest two channel gear driving them. In this case it's just a Pioneer Elite receiver (class D amps) with FLAC files streamed over WiFi into an Oppo 203. Speaker cables are just run of the mill Blue Jeans cables. I've found the bass opens up quite a bit after about 20 hours use. When pushed they just seem to open up in a very balanced way without losing integrity. They don't come close to L800 sound but they have their own character and are really enjoyable to kick back to.

I think this is a system most people would be delighted with for the cost.

A not unfair comparison to a classic three way "BBC" British design could be the Harbeth HL5. Those cost $8K a pair. Without stands. Another model could be the Spendor Classic 1/2 that are now pushing $10K a pair. Manufacturing in England is expensive! Not saying those aren't better speakers but the concept is quite similar.
  • msg
    edited December 2022
    Have you guys noticed the stands don't transmit any vibration? I can't feel anything in a leg even with a bass heavy track playing.

I stuck the little 3M bumpers on top of the stand on top of each of the 4 corner screws. I noticed they're a little squishy, but not sure whether they're sorbothane.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Emlyn wrote: »
    When pushed they just seem to open up in a very balanced way without losing integrity.

Love this description! Makes me wish I could give them a listen. I'd like to push them real hard if you know what I mean!!! <3
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    Sweet room, and congrats on the update!!! So, there was a mess???
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Glad you're liking them Scott. I've been considering these to replace my Klipsch KG4'S in my TV room as I don't have room for a tall speaker and I often sit in there with the misses cuddled up under a blanket watching music videos or reading a book.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • msg
    If you're ready for a new set of speakers, man, Just do it, Rob. All you'd be out is return shipping to Crutchfield at their discounted shipping rates, I'm sure. (If I'm not mistaken; I think that's how their return policy works; also 60 days) I don't think you'll be returning them, though.

Do you still have your B&K monos or something else dual-mono? I think these things can really excel with that topology, but one of the guys is getting fantastic results even with an AVR. I won't say who, because that's just heresy. lol

And where the heck is Paul @hochpt21? He started this whole thing.
    I disabled signatures.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I'd be running them with a B&K Reference 200.5
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Emlyn
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I'd be running them with a B&K Reference 200.5

Great amp!
  • msg
    I agree. B&K is my second favorite experience. It would do the Lintons justice, too, should be able to control them nicely, which should net you a great experience with the 3-way setup.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Glad you're liking them Scott. I've been considering these to replace my Klipsch KG4'S in my TV room as I don't have room for a tall speaker and I often sit in there with the misses cuddled up under a blanket watching music videos or reading a book.

The Lintons would be a massive upgrade imo.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    If you're ready for a new set of speakers, man, Just do it, Rob. All you'd be out is return shipping to Crutchfield at their discounted shipping rates, I'm sure. (If I'm not mistaken; I think that's how their return policy works; also 60 days) I don't think you'll be returning them, though.

Do you still have your B&K monos or something else dual-mono? I think these things can really excel with that topology, but one of the guys is getting fantastic results even with an AVR. I won't say who, because that's just heresy. lol

And where the heck is Paul @hochpt21? He started this whole thing.
    Lol! I must have notifications turned off because I messed your PM last week!

It’s awesome to see this thread blowing up, and more people diving in.

My pair is in my man room, and I probably only have 10 hours or so on them, so I’m breaking them in slowly.

I am enjoying them immensely, especially with delicate music and female vocals, but I still have a lot more time needed.

Good to hear the positive feedback!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A