2»

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    edited December 2022
    Options
    ….
    Post edited by tratliff on
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    You should talk to yourself at the register, Todd.
    "Good afternoon, sir, would you like paper or plastic?" "Plastic's fine thanks." "I really like your boots. They're not even scuffed. You probably never tripped on a curb returning a DVD, distracted by a beautiful woman." "Thanks. No, not I haven't." "Didn't think so. Hey, sorry, I couldn't help but notice your Toyota keychain. Do you have a sport coupe?" "Why yes, yes I do." "I like those cars." "Me too." "Ah crap, sorry, sir, I crushed your eggs and bread." "You really suck at this." "I know." "Here, sir, take these steaks as compensation. Shhh, I won't tell. Go ahead. Take 'em. It's cool. Everyone does it." "Okay, thanks, that's fair. Come see me about a job."

"Did you see that crazy guy steal the steaks?!?"
    " Yeah. Let him go. This is Texas."
    I disabled signatures.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    Scott don’t confuse I don’t wear boots. Might be from Texas but no boots.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »

neither does Paul @PSOVLSK, but he sure speaks Texan ;)<3

But IMHO, every Texan should own a nice pair of boots
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    tratliff wrote: »

neither does Paul @PSOVLSK, but he sure speaks Texan ;)<3

But IMHO, every Texan should own a nice pair of boots

efuik64fbg50.gif
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • txcoastal1
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    Options
    wc56cznji087.gif

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    The first time we went to Aldi, I didn’t have a quarter for the cart. A little perturbed, I said to the cashier that a quarter is pretty cheap to buy a shopping cart! She laughed and gave me a quarter to use to unlock a cart. I came to find out that it’s actually to get people to return the carts to the store and not leave them all over the parking lot - not necessarily a theft deterrent. Now, I actually kind of like it. There are NO stray carts threatening my parked car in the lot. Amazing how people stop being lazy to get their quarter back!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    scubalab wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the Amazon "Just Walk Out" stores? We saw one at the Nashville Airport. Cool concept, but can't see it being cost effective with all of the electronics and computer systems involved that need constant upkeep. The one we saw was actually experiencing some technical glitches and there was an "employee" directing people to NOT use one of the exit lanes.

I don't know... too much 'big brother' for me with this one!

https://justwalkout.com/

On another note, I shouldn't have to pay for bags at a higher end grocery store. I understand places like Aldi that pass the savings on to the customers, but I was at Wegmans a few weeks ago and they gave me the option of buying reusable shopping bags or paying a quarter/bag for paper bags. I'm sorry, but if your prices are already at a premium, include the damn bag! What's next - will McD's start charging for the sandwich wrapper?
    I live in the area where Wegmans started. It was,in fact,my first employer. I avoid the place as much as possible. Danny W. doesn’t carry or sell anything that isn’t a money maker. There are no lost leaders. If you are looking for a big brand name,they may not carry it. It depends on profit. A significant amount of the products they sell carry the Wegman name. He certainly isn’t going to give anything away that he can make money on. As a side note,in the 70’s Wegmans actually sold clothes. Not profitable enough,so out they went.

Rochester N.Y. Yes, I remember back when Topps and Wegmans were battling for the market share.

The big thing about the local Kroger chain locally is they OWN the market. So no incentive to
    do things right. You can't walk through the store. They only restock during the day. Between
    that you have the big carts that the curb pick up guys use, and their bad habit of blocking half
    of the shopping aisle with displays. Add to it some old retirees wandering around lost, and you
    have a perfect shopping experience. You can't get a cart down any aisle in the store. Open one
    Checkout lane, and run the self check badly. Red lights everywhere there. Wait 10 minutes for
    a clerk to clear an issue. Every booze purchase requires id verification even in the normal checkout.
    Man the check outs only with minors, so only the front end manager can approve said wine purchase.
    And I don't even drink. But the wife makes me buy hers. I guess it isn't ladylike to be seen buying
    Wine?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    The first time we went to Aldi, I didn’t have a quarter for the cart. A little perturbed, I said to the cashier that a quarter is pretty cheap to buy a shopping cart! She laughed and gave me a quarter to use to unlock a cart. I came to find out that it’s actually to get people to return the carts to the store and not leave them all over the parking lot - not necessarily a theft deterrent. Now, I actually kind of like it. There are NO stray carts threatening my parked car in the lot. Amazing how people stop being lazy to get their quarter back!

You see that in Europe alot. Have to deposit a coin to get a cart, then get it back when you return the cart.

I usually park near a cart return area so I don't have to walk that far to return a cart.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • SillyOldSod
    Options
    I just saw a life size robotic santa clause in the lobby at the local Walmart. Kinda like a self-checkout for kids.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I honestly hate self check out.

I disliked being a cashier when I worked retail when I was younger. I certainly don't like having to do it myself now. Especially since I don't work there.

Aside from them being a security risk for the store as has been pointed out several times already, they are a security risk for the consumer as well since they aren't monitored as closely as they should be. It's easy for a thieving **** to put a reader strip in the card readers to steal magnetic stripe info off of older credit cards. It's also easy to over charge yourself if you're not paying attention and in a rush.

I just look at the people in line at the kiosks and I just don't want to be anywhere near them. I'd rather deal with the slow, old people in the cashier serviced lines.

Except at places like Home Depot and Lowes. I don't even go to the regular cashiers. I'm going in and out at the pro/contractor entrances because there's less clueless people that watch too much HGTV and really shouldn't be in a Lowe's or Home Depot let alone attempting any kind of home improvement work on their own. But that's a whole 'nother thread by itself! But the pro/contract register/desk is always staffed and there's no self-checkout there.

It bugs me, though, because our local wholesale club, BJ's Wholesale, that we go to has pretty much gone completely self-checkout and it is the most awkward experience trying to self-checkout a wholesale club sized shopping cart full of bulk items in a little 6 foot by6 foot square of a self checkout kiosk. I'd say I'd go to a different club and abandon BJ's over it but they're all like this now.

BJ's has the cart checkout like Sam's does and I'm told Costco does it now too but, BJ's has a dollar limit on what you can do with it and we often exceed that dollar limit easily so we have yet to give it a run through. I like the tech, I actually worked on a project in college around researching ways to handle the transaction process without having to scan barcodes. We had viable systems but cost was high because the tech was brand new and we'd have to add itty bitty transponders to all the packaging on everything. So there was logistical infrastructure hurdles of a colossal scale to over come as well. Anyway, a lot of it is the same the scanning apps now just without the smart shopping carts and transponders. The smart part is your phone and the ability to connect it to a transaction processing system. Still cool tech and I wonder why we weren't working on it 10 years ago, at least.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
    I use some self-checkouts and eschew others.
    Home Despot's is easy and well-behaved.
    I generally hate grocery store self-checkouts - but there is one chain's whose platform's OK.
    BJs (a regional variant of Costco, nearly popular as Costco in MA and NH) has a good self-checkout platform.
    I only use them for simple, small purchases, though. :|