Self-check out

Options
WOW do stores realize the $$$$$ being taken right out the front door due to self check outs....was at the store and watched a lady with at least $500 of steak go next to me rung up 2 packs of burgers and not the WHOLE tenderloins in the cart paid under 20 and left.....wife watched a man with 2 TVs ring up one pay and leave with 2

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,707
    Options
    At the WalMart near me, there is always a clerk standing close by that has a tablet on which they can see what is being scanned at each of the 6 self checkout registers. They can call store security at the touch of a button. I would rather just see the offending thief's head explode. "Clean up at self register 4."
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,099
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Have a good friend who was president (now retired) of a small savings bank (3 branches) in B-more. He would say the same of their tellers.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,022
    Options
    I think it was the man who started ROSS discount stores that said, wherever there is a cash register and a human being, there will always be temptation to steal from the till.

I think half the population are opportunistic thiefs. 1/4 are borderline and the other 1/4, honest as can be.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,407
    Options
    It is their own damned fault.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I was at Costco a while back busy as usual couple people in front of me when someone directed me to the self checkout lane so I didnt have to wait.

I told her that I pay for a membership and therefore I wont be checking myself out, should of seen the look on her face. I would rather have interaction with a human being while shopping all these self checkouts well cost people thier jobs.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,958
    Options
    If they stop you just tell them they should have trained you better..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,634
    Options
    They catch you here it's not shoplifting they charge you with burglary.
    It's just not worth it. Our stores have multiple cameras at each register. Overhead, two side and two at bag and scan level.
    I freaking hate the self check out but so many have went to it at almost every store.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,118
    Options
    I'm all about time and efficiency, if that means self check out then it is what it is.

I don't stop at gas stations for much but most of the sheetz in my area added 3 self check outs per store... Talk about a game changer for grabbing something fast. No one buying cigarettes or lottery tickets at those bad boys. In and out with a drink or a snack in 30 seconds
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    Options
    The local CVS now only supports self checkout.
    One grocery store has two tradition belt type self checkouts
    Great idea, so you can scan everything and bag when done.
    If I have more than a couple of things, I'm not using the mini
    Self checkouts. Nowhere to bag and set your stuff.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,320
    Options
    I work at a big box store and was buying a few small items one day. I scanned them and then clicked on Pay Now (or whatever is says). It didn't seem right but I put my card in and it charged me less than I expected it to be.

I checked the receipt and it was actually different items than what I bought. I took it to Customer Service and they said it has happened before. Someone scans their items and then leaves without paying. It remains in the system until the next person tries to scan something but it looks legit to the person observing the half dozen checkout registers.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,006
    Options
    It seems many retailers are tripping over $100’s to pick up pennies.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • treitz3
    Options
    At Sam's Club, they have self scanning and self checkout. The wife and I tried the self scan this past weekend. We shopped and as we added things into the cart, we scanned them and added a quantity, if over one. Pretty easy and zero glitches.

We were at the back of the store and within about 5 minutes (long walk), we were out in the parking lot, getting into the vehicle to head off....items already loaded into the vehicle. Usually after 5 minutes at this same Sam's Club, we would still be waiting for 3 or 4 more people in line with carts slam full of items.

I made a comment to my wife that this feels like we are "stealing" from them. I'm not used to not waiting in line to check out.....but I will be (at least here) moving forward. In 5 minutes, we were driving off when typically when we are done shopping, it takes up about 20-25 minutes to go through the line, load up the car and head out on our merry way.

With that said, I can completely see how criminals will take advantage of the "trust" these stores place on people. There are way too many ways to cheat the system or get out of the store with items not paid for. I will not try it because I was raised better than that and I have morals, but alas, criminals do not. They won't even think twice about it.

The sad thing is that corporations that do this are just trying to save a buck, when in the long term, it will only cost the honest people more, so that the stores can recover from all of the Shenanigan's the criminals pull.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,958
    Options
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    Let's face it why would they even pretend to scan.
    Most are just rolling the cart out the door.
    As previous stated, I don't mind the self serve if
    they lay it out properly. Packing in 10 mini self serve
    Checkouts in a small space is just stupid. if it's a PITA
    That is going to just make everyone angry.
    And did you ever try to buy a small bag of nuts or bolts
    at Lowe's and have it lock up because the scale didn't
    sense it in the bagging area?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,513
    Options
    Speaking of Sam's - have you guys tried their app if the self-checkouts are backed up? It's a little finicky with having to enable location access and wifi, but once you're up and running, you can scan from your cart and roll through.

I do prefer the hand-held scanner they have at the checkout stations for efficiency.

I make a game of my grocery runs. If during off hours, I can hit like 5 or 6 places, in and out - out and back again in 1.5 to 2hrs. I have a route. Eff traffic. Eff people. Eff waiting in lines.

And eff the thieves. I'm pretty sure I saw a "gentleman" get soft-busted one time at Sam's - "something-something, oh we didn't meant to keep that. Let me go run that back." I think this was in earlier days before stores were catching on to what people were doing, but I don't know how long this has been going on, really. I think the burglars take advantage of intimidating store staff into not wanting to deal with the confrontation. This one woman wasn't having it, though. Little lady, big man.
    I disabled signatures.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Sam's club has people at the door when you are leaving that scan 3 items in your cart, unless you know what 3 items they are going to scan I don't see how someone could leave without paying for all their items.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I don't know about your area but no one down here ever goes in for just a handful of easily countable items. Most people leave with a full cart (on average). There is no way that one person could correctly count the amount of items in some most of these carts I see go out. Lots of room to hide things, slide things into another product, hide something under a heavy product, slide things in between layers of clothes/towels and the like.

While there may be "security" with just a few items, there isn't when carts start to get full. Full carts become a criminal's dream.

While they may have camera's that monitor every area of the store but the bathrooms, there is no way that they have the staff to monitor everyone in the store, the entire time they are in there. If that were the case, they'd probably just add more staff members at the POS/registers so that the criminals no longer have the chance for bountiful opportunities of thievery.

Tom

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,118
    Options
    When I worked the music store, we had on camera a lady stealing a trumpet and an oboe under her dress, no one in the store could tell or knew and she walked out the front door none the wiser
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Has anyone seen the Amazon "Just Walk Out" stores? We saw one at the Nashville Airport. Cool concept, but can't see it being cost effective with all of the electronics and computer systems involved that need constant upkeep. The one we saw was actually experiencing some technical glitches and there was an "employee" directing people to NOT use one of the exit lanes.

I don't know... too much 'big brother' for me with this one!

https://justwalkout.com/

On another note, I shouldn't have to pay for bags at a higher end grocery store. I understand places like Aldi that pass the savings on to the customers, but I was at Wegmans a few weeks ago and they gave me the option of buying reusable shopping bags or paying a quarter/bag for paper bags. I'm sorry, but if your prices are already at a premium, include the damn bag! What's next - will McD's start charging for the sandwich wrapper?
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    Pay bags suck. But I would be thrilled to have a Wegman's around here.
    Kroger is the big player here, and I don't like anything about them.
    I go to Aldi's a lot, but for some things I don't get a choice.
    I got so pissed at them one day I just left the cart in line and
    Walked away. Horrible store management seems to be their
    Calling card.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,634
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Calling card.
    Aldi? OH yea! You have a job at one of their stores here in Illinois, that means you work at any of them in a 60mi radius. My retired uncle is of the mindset if Aldi doesn't have it he dosen't need it. Unfortunately my mindset is whatever Aldi has I don't need it, no matter how cheap it is.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,006
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the Amazon "Just Walk Out" stores? We saw one at the Nashville Airport. Cool concept, but can't see it being cost effective with all of the electronics and computer systems involved that need constant upkeep. The one we saw was actually experiencing some technical glitches and there was an "employee" directing people to NOT use one of the exit lanes.

I don't know... too much 'big brother' for me with this one!

https://justwalkout.com/

On another note, I shouldn't have to pay for bags at a higher end grocery store. I understand places like Aldi that pass the savings on to the customers, but I was at Wegmans a few weeks ago and they gave me the option of buying reusable shopping bags or paying a quarter/bag for paper bags. I'm sorry, but if your prices are already at a premium, include the damn bag! What's next - will McD's start charging for the sandwich wrapper?
    I live in the area where Wegmans started. It was,in fact,my first employer. I avoid the place as much as possible. Danny W. doesn’t carry or sell anything that isn’t a money maker. There are no lost leaders. If you are looking for a big brand name,they may not carry it. It depends on profit. A significant amount of the products they sell carry the Wegman name. He certainly isn’t going to give anything away that he can make money on. As a side note,in the 70’s Wegmans actually sold clothes. Not profitable enough,so out they went.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,099
    edited December 2022
    Options
    in re: Pay bags... amusing bit of data on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me! last week...
    https://www.npr.org/2022/12/17/1143657467/wait-wait-for-dec-17-2022-with-not-my-job-guest-andrew-bird
    Skip up to about 31 minutes on their audio to hear the item. :

They don't, apparently, post transcripts of their shows any more :( but an oridnary cotton tote bag needs to be reused 7100 times to offset the overall impact of its production. An organic cotton bag: 20,000 times. :#
    Paper bags? 43 times.
    Polypropylene or polyester? 52 times.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-many-times-must-bag-reused-more-environmentally-friendly-chua/
    https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/08/24/style/cotton-totes-climate-crisis.amp.html#
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,513
    Options
    What about these ripstop polyester ones?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073FGBK2L

Wait wait, don't tell me - trafficking.
    annnd by simple fact of distribution through Amazon, prob a bunch of other stuff that's bad for people and the world in general? You can carry so much crap in these things. They used to have some orange ones but I guess those didn't sell very well. I liked them. Which, whenever I like something, it means it's all but guaranteed to be discontinued.
    y7u7uvjp1gl7.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I don't know about your area but no one down here ever goes in for just a handful of easily countable items. Most people leave with a full cart (on average). There is no way that one person could correctly count the amount of items in some most of these carts I see go out. Lots of room to hide things, slide things into another product, hide something under a heavy product, slide things in between layers of clothes/towels and the like.

While there may be "security" with just a few items, there isn't when carts start to get full. Full carts become a criminal's dream.

While they may have camera's that monitor every area of the store but the bathrooms, there is no way that they have the staff to monitor everyone in the store, the entire time they are in there. If that were the case, they'd probably just add more staff members at the POS/registers so that the criminals no longer have the chance for bountiful opportunities of thievery.

Tom

I didn't mean they only buy a few items, they scan 3 items randomly in your cart. Anyone sliding something into another item is going to steal regardless of the way you checkout.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,857
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Calling card.
    Aldi? OH yea! You have a job at one of their stores here in Illinois, that means you work at any of them in a 60mi radius. My retired uncle is of the mindset if Aldi doesn't have it he dosen't need it. Unfortunately my mindset is whatever Aldi has I don't need it, no matter how cheap it is.

I walked into an Aldi once, saw you had to drop a quarter to use a shopping cart...turned around and walked out. Yes, I was aware you get the $.25 back, still FT.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Speaking of Sam's - have you guys tried their app if the self-checkouts are backed up? It's a little finicky with having to enable location access and wifi, but once you're up and running, you can scan from your cart and roll through.

We use the app at Sam's. Very handy, but I can easily see thieves getting away with items not rung up, especially if you have a whole cart full of stuff.

I use the self check out at Home Depot and Lowe's, but they still have to check my ID for the military veteran discount. Got some looks from others in line behind me waiting for the clerk to verify and enter their code. Kinda like the price check of old.

I've also ordered stuff from both of them on-line and used the deliver to your vehicle option. Lowe's was great, you check in with the app, tell em what parking spot you're in, and they load the items for you. Home Depot in my area is not so great. I've checked in multiple times and then called the front desk 20 minutes later to remind them I'm here. When it works well, very handy and nice feature if you need something specific. Especially larger items where you would need help anyways.

Both Lowe's and Home Depot have lockers in front where you can order smaller items on line. When ready you get an email with a bar code, scan it in, and your locker pops open. Super efficient and and handy too.

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,670
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Post edited by tratliff on
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • treitz3
    Options
    You aren't alone with your thoughts. When these so called self check out and self order things came out, my first thought was.....where is my discount for performing YOUR duties?

You just don't call something "convenient" and close down every other register but one in a 12 to 14 lane store. That's BS. If you want me to work for you? Where's my savings?

Some of these self checkout/ordering places are actually asking for a tip too! Unreal.

Tom