Any Paradigm Fans in here?

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
edited December 2022 in Speakers
I have a pair of Paradigm Studio 100 V2's from forever ago and I think I'm gonna break these big stupid heavy speakers out and play. It's been forever since I heard them go and what the hell. I also have a pair of Klipsch Synergy F30's chillin and I'm gonna blow the dust off those and have some fun. I remember the F30's never really excited me but what the hell, they are not doing anyone any good just sitting around in my stock pile of stuff.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• mantis
    Options
    On a side note, has anyone checked out the Persona line? Audiolab, my former job has them on display in Blue. They look incredible. I plan on going back over there soon and listening to them along with all the Reserve and Legend models they have. When I was there last, they where out of Reserve for the floor so when they are in ,I'm going in to play.
    Dan
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Their Founder's Series has been getting generally good reviews.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    i had paradigm untill i heard usher and from there rosso fiorientino, now i can't afford to better the speakers i have now. :'(
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I have the signature series S4 S6 and S8 they work well for me.
  • mantis
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    I have the signature series S4 S6 and S8 they work well for me.
    Ive always felt Paradigm was over priced. Kinda he bottom of their price classes in performance. Not saying they are bad speakers, just more expensive then other brands that are in the same class for performance vs price ratio. Always they where one of the best looking and well built. Sound is personal anyway

Dan
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    I wanted to like the persona as I was on the market for something like the 9h

But alas, no
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mantis
    Options
    I'm messing around with the Studio 100 V2's and man they are big heavy and kinda old school looking with the extra wide tower look. I'm so use to my Def Tech Mythos ST's that these look like HULK speakers LOL.
    Any way they seem to be pretty flat sounding meaning nothing jumps out , nothing is bloating or laid back , forward , nothing. Kinda just play what I feed to them and sound pretty good doing so.
    I don't think I'll ever go back to a large floor speaker like this, kinda why I want to rule out the R700's are they are not quite this big but damn close to this big. Nope don't want big heavy speakers. These damn things are 110 lbs each and I know it, I carried the damn things. I didn't even polish them, just took them out of my stock pile, hooked them up, didn't even select an external amp to drive them and tried out some lossless tracks.
    I hooked up the center channel, It didn't have any kind of rubber bottom so I took one of my wife's dish towels and stuck it under it. This is a boring sounding center channel, Has that kinda flat sound like the 100's do. It's not bad offensive or anything like that , more like here I am , I'm playing what you gave me and I'm just perfoming my job as need be. I gotta tune them into the room , give them a proper calibration, maybe bring up my Parasound amp and drive the front 3. I even have the surround Studio's and I might go as far as hanging them on the wall, tuning them into the system and getting a full Studio experience. It's been decades since I messed with this line so what the hell.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    9u2d4ppo5a9v.jpeg
    rxa4hb06rviy.jpeg
    ewkvhffrxya7.jpeg
    ubb8neh2glju.jpeg
    Dan
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    If you want slender speakers, I would go with Monitor Audio Silver 300 7G (since you mentioned MA elsewhere). I love looking at the C-CAM drivers too.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Are they meant to be played only with the grills on? Very thick tweeter plate and trim rings on the other drivers.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mantis
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    If you want slender speakers, I would go with Monitor Audio Silver 300 7G (since you mentioned MA elsewhere). I love looking at the C-CAM drivers too.
    They are an amazing speaker and I will probably go with them unless I like the sound of the Reserve line better, or something else.

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    Are they meant to be played only with the grills on? Very thick tweeter plate and trim rings on the other drivers.

I can put the grills on but I didn't feel like going and getting them. I took the grills off to carry them. See that port in the front? It makes a good handle.
    Dan
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    Options
    Those speakers are designed to be played with the grills on... otherwise diffraction wonderland
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Had 100v2s for a couple years. They'll play loud. I replaced them with Ascend cmt-340s. Easily bested them unless ultimate volume is your goal.
  • mantis
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Had 100v2s for a couple years. They'll play loud. I replaced them with Ascend cmt-340s. Easily bested them unless ultimate volume is your goal.
    None of that is my goal, these are not staying in my main system. I have had them in my stock pile and decided to play around with them along with with the Klipsch F-30's.
    Dan
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Not sure what kind of tunes you are using to test with but you could try my bass-heavy test tracks with them: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195947/tidal-playlist-bass-heavy-test-tracks/p1

Skip past the first few if you don't like dubstep! hahah
  • mantis
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Not sure what kind of tunes you are using to test with but you could try my bass-heavy test tracks with them: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195947/tidal-playlist-bass-heavy-test-tracks/p1

Skip past the first few if you don't like dubstep! hahah
    I have an array of stuff I like to test with from SACD , DVD AUDIO , cd's Flac files and I'll stream right from iTunes or now Apple Music as they have lossless and it sounds really good.

Dan
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I read in the latest Stereophile issue that Spotify is finally getting ready to launch their lossless tier.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    Options
    It's the year 2323, in a land far far away, Spotify announces lossless streaming
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.