New speakers for the man cave

Splurged on a pair of speakers on a Black Friday deal.

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary

I’ve been eyeing these for quite a while now reading reviews and watching videos. The sale made them too hard to resist.

Out of the box they have exceeded my expectations. I won’t do a full review at this point, but the detail is really incredible. The reviews all mention the warmth and listenability, but I was really surprised by the pinpoint placement and delicate treatment of instruments and vocals.

Pardon the mess in the room. I have too many projects going on :D

a57ekoli7cqq.jpeg
i3m12qzbwf9y.jpeg
z45f2qu9hl0t.jpeg
lnem7gbw2hzj.jpeg
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Nice! Almost went with those instead of the R600's. Those rear ports killed it for me though, well, the wife anyway. She preferred the looks of the Linton's but after I told her that they might be out a foot or more into the living room that's what killed it. No man-cave here, unfortunately!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    smglbrth wrote: »
    Nice! Almost went with those instead of the R600's. Those rear ports killed it for me though, well, the wife anyway. She preferred the looks of the Linton's but after I told her that they might be out a foot or more into the living room that's what killed it. No man-cave here, unfortunately!

I am a big fan of the bass on these things, though admittedly I prefer a little heavy hand there. I have them about a foot from the back wall, toed in and they sound great. I’ll mess around with placement a bit as time goes.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Hell yeah! Those are gorgeous! Congrats.

Love the stands with the built in vinyl storage.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    edited November 2022
    I'm not sure I've heard anything bad about these speaks.
    Nice pickup!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited November 2022
    Very nice speakers. A friend of mine Joe's Electronic's bought some. I don't think he got the stands. Those look awesome. Apperently he sent them back before I made it over to audition them (he is one of those that is so undecided all the time). I hope to hear them someday. Congrats... ? on the box. Beside your shoe are those Ring Dings :D
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Holy crap Paul! Beautiful!
    Congrats! and what a sweet setup!
    Love everything about your listening space. (big fan of orange and warmy colors)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Congrats on your Linton's, I've been fighting the urge to pick up a pair of these as well. Mahogany would be my choice also B) They say there is a lengthy run-in period, enjoy the ride.
  • hochpt21
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Heard these last weekend at Rich’s Record Emporium, for the first time.

I actually went there to listen to Rogue Audio RP-5 preamp, but spent the first hour listening to the Lintons powered by a Hegel integrated.

I’ll leave the review to the OP, but I really enjoyed the effortless sound these produced; they turned off all of the usual audiophile criticalness for me; just the music got my focus; very self-effacing speakers.

After listening to a single pair, the owners connected an extra pair, inverted on top of the original pair to create a line array (some type of isolators were used in between to dampen sympathetic vibrations). This was a very satisfying listening experience to say the least.

Oh wow, I bet that was quite the experience. How did that setup compare to the standard stereo setup?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

I actually went there to listen to Rogue Audio RP-5 preamp, but spent the first hour listening to the Lintons powered by a Hegel integrated.

I’ll leave the review to the OP, but I really enjoyed the effortless sound these produced; they turned off all of the usual audiophile criticalness for me; just the music got my focus; very self-effacing speakers.

After listening to a single pair, the owners connected an extra pair, inverted on top of the original pair to create a line array (some type of isolators were used in between to dampen sympathetic vibrations). This was a very satisfying listening experience to say the least.

So you ordered 2 pairs of the Linton?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Wow, those are nice. Love the stands.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited December 2022

I actually went there to listen to Rogue Audio RP-5 preamp, but spent the first hour listening to the Lintons powered by a Hegel integrated..

Didja ever audition the RP-5???

Although I’m satisfied with my Cary pre, the rp5 or 9 would work well with my Rogue M-180 monos

Gotta scratch that itch, right?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    hochpt21 wrote: »

Oh wow, I bet that was quite the experience. How did that setup compare to the standard stereo setup?

Bigger soundstage, more of everything (i.e. texture, detail, image size). These speakers don’t “disappear”, per se, but the midrange seems more present, full, and satisfying than most modern bookies, and skinny floor-standers, IMO.

Honestly, if I wasn’t working on updating my main rig with amp/preamp (ML Electromotion ESLs, main speakers), stacked Lintons would be on my short list.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

So you ordered 2 pairs of the Linton?

Thoughts entered my mind, but no.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    @Glenndog - I sent you a PM. Don’t want to hi-jack the thread.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Very nice
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    That is a sweet little setup! McCormack and those beautiful lintons!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    I've heard them on a few occasions & they are stunning in their looks & sound to match! Great choice! Enjoy 🙂
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Congratulations, they look beautiful!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Look great, congrats!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • jbreezy5
    @hochpt21 - Anxious to hear your review once broken in!

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I see in the photo you’re listening to one of my favorite CD’s. “Come Away With Me” is just fantastic on a good system.

Congrats on the new speakers. They look great, as does the rest of your system.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Nice.

I almost bought a set of them myself.

I love the matching stands for them a lot.

Next year, I might try and copy that style of stands I plan to build for some of my finer speakers that are the size of yours there.

Congrats. I've read good reviews about those Warfedale Linton 85th Anniv. there. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Mike Reeter
    edited December 2022
    A little more experimenting. Moved the Rogue integrated down here. Moved the speakers out 2 ft into the room and 2 ft from the side walls.

Soundstage depth increased fairly dramatically. Bass obviously decreased, but not sure how much of that is the Rogue and how much the placement. I’m assuming a combination of both.

Fun playing with these. I really like them.

ihtkkf3y4xa9.jpeg

Love this B) about how far are the speakers apart?

• hochpt21
    A little more experimenting. Moved the Rogue integrated down here. Moved the speakers out 2 ft into the room and 2 ft from the side walls.

Soundstage depth increased fairly dramatically. Bass obviously decreased, but not sure how much of that is the Rogue and how much the placement. I’m assuming a combination of both.

Fun playing with these. I really like them.

ihtkkf3y4xa9.jpeg

Love this B) about how far are the speakers apart?

About 7 ft. And about 8 ft from my ears.
  • Mike Reeter
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I have a pair of the Lintons with stands on the way. Should be arriving tomorrow. Red Mahogany finish.

Been kicking around the idea of getting a pair of these for a couple years now for that old school look and sound.

Post some pics when they've landed :) I have been thinking pretty hard about a pair myself, especially since the price decrease. I love the look and from all accounts they don't sound too bad either.