home theatre advice

Options
Hey folks!

Setting up a new basement space approximately 14' x 14' and pretty much narrowed things down to Polk Signature Elite, but just finalizing fronts/sub.

Originally, I was going to stay all matched 5.25" models -- ES50s, ES30, ES15 and HTS 10 for a 5.1 starting point.

I measured some things out last night and paused because:

ES50: Seems to sit a little low at ~37". Issue or nothing to worry about? ES55 seem a better height when seated, but I've seen some info suggesting I may also get better clarity out of the ES60. Thoughts? Also, any issues with 6.5" fronts and 5.25" for centre/surrounds?

HTS 10: I know other options can be had. The dimensions are a good fit to the space, I may go dual at some point and I prefer matched components. I could consider the HTS 12 if the extra reach is worthwhile, but the dimensions will start to intrude a bit...

Cheers! Looking forward to watching some movies soon! :smiley:

Comments

• brianmf
    Options
    Getting ready to set up Surround sound in my living room, Areas 14' by 14' Where would be the best ideal location for fronts, rears, surrounds and center channel
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    jeefAD wrote: »
    Hey folks!

Setting up a new basement space approximately 14' x 14' and pretty much narrowed things down to Polk Signature Elite, but just finalizing fronts/sub.

Originally, I was going to stay all matched 5.25" models -- ES50s, ES30, ES15 and HTS 10 for a 5.1 starting point.

I measured some things out last night and paused because:

ES50: Seems to sit a little low at ~37". Issue or nothing to worry about? ES55 seem a better height when seated, but I've seen some info suggesting I may also get better clarity out of the ES60. Thoughts? Also, any issues with 6.5" fronts and 5.25" for centre/surrounds?

HTS 10: I know other options can be had. The dimensions are a good fit to the space, I may go dual at some point and I prefer matched components. I could consider the HTS 12 if the extra reach is worthwhile, but the dimensions will start to intrude a bit...

Cheers! Looking forward to watching some movies soon! :smiley:
    your original system build is fine. Don't worry about the height of the ES50's , you can put a lean on them as you can tilt them back a bit and you can aim the tweeter as you wish by doing so. Save some money and get the ES50's.

You can get the HTS 10 if you wish but as you know much better subwoofers can be had for not much more. The savings from not going with the ES60's should be used towards a better subwoofer. Going 2 subs is better for more coverage . SVS 1000 series is where I'd look.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @jeefAD looks like a nice system you are building! I am not sure about height, but I second @mantis’s suggestion about a sub. I have had HSU, SVS, and now a monoprice, and all three destroy Polk subs. No reason to match the sub, they don’t have timbre like speakers…

Welcome to club Polk!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer