Short and sweet , Spatial Audio, Atmos Audio

Options
So I'm really trying to get back into this hobby. It's a uphill battle but there is a few things I noticed that is like bringing back formats that once where super cool and kinda never took off.
SACD multi channel, DVD audio , JVC XRCD just to name a few. These new formats remind me of them. Very open very nice very cool experience. I don't know how many of you have a Apple TV 4K that you can fool around with Apple Music with these formats, they are lossless and I gotta tell you, they sound damn good.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,638
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I'm not big fan of multichannel for music listening personally.

However that being said, the rising popularity of Atmos and multichannel music can only serve to help our hobby. Perhaps when someone randomly hears a demo of it it'll entice them to spend some money on their HT that they otherwise wouldn't have. Maybe then eventually they'll do a dedicated 2ch system, etc.

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that with a properly setup 2ch system, you will actually get plenty of spatial, imaging, and wrap around your head effects - all without any surround speakers at all.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,430
    Options
    No doubt. I heard a dog barking on an album Ron Cook came by and listened too while auditioning my rig. Damned dog was 30 feet back behind me to the right and the spatial locational cues were laser focused.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,065
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

However that being said, the rising popularity of Atmos and multichannel music can only serve to help our hobby. Perhaps when someone randomly hears a demo of it it'll entice them to spend some money on their HT that they otherwise wouldn't have. Maybe then eventually they'll do a dedicated 2ch system, etc.

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that with a properly setup 2ch system, you will actually get plenty of spatial, imaging, and wrap around your head effects - all without any surround speakers at all.
    I do agree with you but I really was huge into SACD and DVD audio back in the day and thought that was the next evolution of music which we all know basically failed. But this new version which is basically exactly like them, is wonderful.
    Dan
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,065
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    No doubt. I heard a dog barking on an album Ron Cook came by and listened too while auditioning my rig. Damned dog was 30 feet back behind me to the right and the spatial locational cues were laser focused.

Tom

I was playing around with it today and was really impressed. So many classics sound so more open and airy with Atmos. Really uses all the channels well and moves things around so nicely. The Beatles stuff sounds killer.
    Dan
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,640
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Back in the day I had two rigs set up, a 2ch and HT6.2. They both had their place and yes I enjoyed my multi-channel set up with SACD and DVD-Audio. Some of my SACD's/DVD-Audios were intoxicating in the sweet spot. They both had their place and enjoyed both immensely. At this time in my life and more than likely in the future, I'll never be able to set up an Atmos system, Atmos will be out of reach.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    Options
    The huge benefit of course compared to physical media that can cost $30 or more a pop is that Atmos Music or Spatial Audio streaming makes the surround product available to so many more people for no extra money if they want to take advantage of it. It may prompt more people to set up a proper Atmos capable system with in ceiling speakers. From what I understand Spatial Audio doesn't necessarily require an Atmos capable system but can be used with headphones. Not sure about how that works.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

What kind of dog was it? Did you pet it?
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

I agree with this in theory, however, I have been fooling around with this on my surround system using Youtube with no real goal in my mind; just experimenting.

My Yamaha receiver will automatically setup the appropriate speaker/DSP arrangement based on the signal it is fed, when the “Straight” button is selected.

I can also push the “Music” button to choose a variety of 2-channel, 7-channel, and other hall effects. I was surprised to find improved imaging/soundstaging, as well as, a warmer/fuller overall sound that was more pleasing than 2-channel when 7-channel was selected (no hall effects). Mind you I only run L/C/R in this system, and the sub is not engaged when using the “Music” settings.

I can't really explain why this would be the case when listening to something recorded in stereo, but I consistently prefer the playback this way.

This configuration is stereo pair Dynaudio Audience 82 (dual 8” woofers per speaker) and Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 as center (only has a 5 1/4 midrange/midbass driver); which in terms of voicing sounds more similar than different to my Dyns; additionally, I have calibrated the speakers with YPAO room correction.

End result doesn’t fit what I would expect, but it sounds good. 🤷🏼
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,018
    Options
    And here I thought this thread was going to be about open-baffle speakers (i.e., the other Spatial Audio).
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon