Yet another in wall speaker cable thread

Options
verb
verb Posts: 10,176
Drywall is coming up soon in the sunroom so I'm getting ready to install the HT speaker setup.

Looking for suggestions on some decent in wall speaker cables - I have a 9.1 system with a wireless sub.

Looking at the Polk in wall 265RT or 265LS for the mains/surround, 255cRT center channel. SVS wireless sub.

Some of the basics that come to mind - quality conductor, 12-14ga, shielded, in wall rated

Some that I've looked at so far:
Audioquest X2
Douglass Connection (furez brand)
Canare 4S11
Crutchfield brand
Monoprice brand

Any suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
Post edited by verb on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,650
    Options
    Hopefully you're pulling it through PVC.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Contractors should use the blue smurf tube or orange carlon innerduct

Douglass Connection (furez brand)
    Canare 4S1

k5fotoldjhys.png

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    Options

As in PVC conduit? The wires will be inside of the insulation layer, so low risk for exposure to elements.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    verb wrote: »

As in PVC conduit? The wires will be inside of the insulation layer, so low risk for exposure to elements.

90hpq7d6jcqp.png
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• pitdogg2
    edited November 2022
    Options

Some sort of conduit, so down the road you can easily change up if the desire comes up. Rons stuff or something large enough to pull new stuff through easily. Look Dave we know you well enough to know that you're going to change up tomorrow and then probably change up next week and then probably change up again next year so make it easy on yourself

😂😂😂😂
    And by the way you mean Canare 4s11
  • verb
    edited November 2022
    Options

Some sort of conduit, so down the road you can easily change up if the desire comes up. Rons stuff or something large enough to pull new stuff through easily. Look Dave we know you well enough to know that you're going to change up tomorrow and then probably change up next week and then probably change up again next year so make it easy on yourself

😂😂😂😂
    And by the way you mean Canare 4s11

Ugh yeah! Fixed it. Never thought of the smurf tube, but was looking at a jacketed cable. Never hurts to have another layer of protection! And yes I did think about if ever a cable fails, how would I fix it without tearing it all up!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,138
    Options
    I run supra rondo in mine.... Goi g on 5 or 6 years and works perfect
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    Side note, most receivers are common ground so a 4 conductor wire can run 3 speakers, fwiw
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    And yes I did think about if ever a cable fails, how would I fix it without tearing it all up!

Now you're cooking with gas in that big brain of yours 😉
    Maybe you want a new HDMI cable or something to go to your new projector,
    Come on Dave think big brah
    😁😁😁
  • verb
    Options
    And yes I did think about if ever a cable fails, how would I fix it without tearing it all up!

😁😁😁

HDMI will be a short run behind the TV and down to the HT receiver, but yes, accessibility is the key!
  • verb
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I run supra rondo in mine.... Goi g on 5 or 6 years and works perfect

What speakers are you running?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I see a projector on the ceiling and a nice big 120" screen on the wall

😉

Just messing wit ya
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    If you're on a budget you don't need the flex tube, but if you have thefunds, as tech changes or if you have an issue it's nice to have the flex tube.

if you do the tube, please inspect before drywall that none have been creased...otherwise it's worthless
    16/4 with work fine, 14/4 would be the premium for any upgrades or even room changes

Document and file for future resale

• verb
    Options
    I see a projector on the ceiling and a nice big 120" screen on the wall

😉

Just messing wit ya

I wish. I'm lucky to get in wall speakers, as this room is my wife's dream. I got the garage, she gets the sun room. We negotiated a flat screen, with in walls, and a small cabinet for the receiver!
  • verb
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    If you're on a budget you don't need the flex tube, but if you have thefunds, as tech changes or if you have an issue it's nice to have the flex tube.

if you do the tube, please inspect before drywall that none have been creased...otherwise it's worthless
    16/4 with work fine, 14/4 would be the premium for any upgrades or even room changes

Document and file for future resale

Great advice!
  • VR3
    Options
    I run the definitive uiw series, in ceiling with fi audio infinite baffle subs
  • txcoastal1
    Options

• skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,023
    Options

😁😁😁

What he’s saying…..
    And if in the future you want to upgrade or try something else.
  • verb
    Options
    Thanks everyone who advised me on this project! I decided to go with Supra Classic 2.5 (bought 200ft) and flexible conduit throughout. I like this stuff because it's tinned throughout, 13ga OFC, and of course the price was great (~ $1/foot).

0aiwz8xd4cqi.jpeg

From Madisound website:

8kq12galhx26.jpg

ocg3n97culqm.png

• verb
    Options
    I upgraded the PVC conduit from smurf tube to a "water tight" grade, not because I want it water proof, but with the extra layer of molded PVC over the corrugated layer, it makes the conduit a lot stiffer, and IMO less prone to collapsing/creasing along the way. Especially if you happen to run new wires through it in the future. More expensive than smurf tube, but this will be, IMO a lot more robust.

5b56iuqyd8jj.jpg

• VR3
    Options
    Nice!

Should work great!
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Nice! Agree that should work wonderfully.

Remember the pull string for any future wire pulling. 😉
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    @verb: what's the conduit’s ID?

Please only answers to the “in-wall” question.
    for 2-3 years from now to anyone: if I follow verb’s water proof example (in outside walls), MUST I still use “in-wall rated” wire*? Specifically 50’ long balanced ICs* to feed remote amps to power surrounds?

TIA. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • verb
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »

for 2-3 years from now to anyone: if I follow verb’s water proof example (in outside walls), MUST I still use “in-wall rated” wire*? Specifically 50’ long balanced ICs* to feed remote amps to power surrounds?

TIA. Tony

I chose to go with the 1" ID
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    I tried Googling this and didn't find a satisfying answer: "a 4 conductor wire can run 3 speakers, fwiw". How does this work? @VR3
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • verb
    Options
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    I tried Googling this and didn't find a satisfying answer: "a 4 conductor wire can run 3 speakers, fwiw". How does this work? @VR3

IIRC they can share a common negative conductor? I decided to go with a separate run (2 conductor) each anyways, to make it easy to replace if need be, with a separate conduit line for each.
  • VR3
    Options
    On my rx3070 all of the grounds are common so when I ran the front left and right I simply used a single ground wire for all three speakers and jumped between the speakers. Has worked perfectly for years
  • VR3
    Options
    The downside to that is If I wanted a separate amp I would need a 3 Channel common ground amp
  • verb
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »

TIA. Tony

I chose to go with the 1" ID

Lol yeah I'm losing it.

Correction - I went with the 3/4" nominal ID, of which now I felt compelled to measure! It's actually 13/16" ID, and 1-1/16" OD. Southwire brand from the Depot.

kkm54ic02vba.png