Now for something completely different……

I like to try equipment,when I can afford it, that is a little off the beaten path. Enter the speakers I just purchased on the used market, Shinjitsu Little Hiro. There isn’t a lot of info on the interwebs. I’ve noticed this brand on Audiogon. Whenever I would see them in the classifieds,they always piqued my interest. Well,a couple weeks ago I noticed a pair for sale on e pay. Friday I made an offer,and yesterday my offer was excepted. I’m hoping to have them at the beginning of next week. These probably won’t be everyone’s cup of tea,no pun intended. I’m sure these won’t excel at playing Anthrax at ear bleed levels, but I was intrigued none the less. Here’s a couple pics from the seller.
qog8r6c12kdt.jpeg
l30cvy4e73x4.jpeg

I’ll post my impressions after I get some “alone” time with them.
See my profile for list of gear.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Calling Mr Hardy
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    ^Took the words right out of my mouth^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hello, is there a Dr. In the house??
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited November 2022
    Sorry, I've been busy with personal, professional, and political things! B)
    So -- I know nothing about this/these, but...
    1) they've certainly got panache.
    2) they'd certainly get my attention.

Too bad the drivers and horns aren't a wee bit bigger, though. ;)

In all seriousness, they sure look promising to me...
    What are the woofers? Is that a back loaded horn enclosure, or a TL, or...?

• These little guys are rear ported. His larger offerings are folded horns. I believe it’s a 4” driver.
  • https://www.shinjitsuaudio.com/product-page/little-hiro-speaker
    Here’s a link. My main listening room is 9x13x8.
  • I should have these in my grubby hands tomorrow.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Nice wood veneer on the front.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    They look promising. Looks like you have 2 subs to fill in any low end you might want as well.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade wrote: »
    They look promising. Looks like you have 2 subs to fill in any low end you might want as well.

The two subs in the picture are part of our home theater system. The two channel rig uses just one HSU VTF2 MK3. It sits to the left side of the left HT sub. From the listening position,the one sub works great. I’m enjoying these little horns immensely. These may just work their way into the rotation. I’m on vacation, so, at some point I’m going to pop these into the main system.
  • erniejade
    I went to their website. Specs look good. Down to 32 hz? So, do they neee a sub or no? $1700 if they sound good is a great price for a set.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    I think I misunderstood the specs.
    The frequency range of 32 Hz to 2 kHz where is crossed over to our Beyma/FaitalPro compression horn combination. 

But they are actually down to 48 hz. So to me a subwoofer is needed.
  • These are their “budget” horns. They spec the Little Hiro down to 48hz. I’m impressed with the bass output from a 4” driver. I definitely could get by without a sub, but I run sub/subs with everything. I love the way subs enhance the entire frequency range. These are listed at $1,170.00 for the pair. If you look on Agon, he has these at $995. I found this pair on Epay, from a guy who used these for three hours for review purposes. I made an offer,and he accepted. I’m now curious about the Super Little Hiro, or the Hiro. The larger offerings use a folded horn design for the cabinets. As far as construction,these are very solid,and well finished. I’m a big fan of stuff off of the beaten path. These certainly fit the bill.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    Very cool. Congrats! B)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • I moved the Little Hiro into the main system. These are such cool little speakers. The horns seem to move me a couple rows closer to the music.
    8c7juh569wj6.jpeg
    dbzx21r4x7a5.jpeg
    ze9zunuu7dsf.jpeg
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I am curious just how that resistor and the mids are hooked up to the tweeter. How are they both connected to the mids/amp?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • The resister is a tuning device for the horn. The speakers come with three pairs of resisters, .50, .75, and 1ohm. The larger the value,the more horn volume. It’s all connected via an L pad. I am running the .75ohm resisters. The larger models allow horn adjustment and crossover adjustment. At first I was using the 1ohm,which at first sounded great. After a few hours,I needed to tame things down a bit. The .5ohm were a bit too tame, and the .75 was just right. It’s a Goldie Locks type of deal.
  • erniejade
    I like that you can customize for your room or taste without killing the entire range. That is a nice idea.