PSW1000 need impressions

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited May 2012 in Speakers
Found a PSW1000 for sale locally. Debating getting it since it matches perfectly with my LSi 15's. Its not exactly cheap so I had another idea..... find a empty cabinet for one so I can put some other subs in it but still have the veneer and everything match the fronts.....

Thoughts from folks?
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited May 2012
    The problem with Polk subs that old is that the amps are starting to fail. If they fail, the subs are useless as they cannot fix them and the amps are no longer available. I had a PSW650 with a bad amp and it ended in the dump. I took the drivers out in case I get the itch to rebuild the sub from scratch.
  • chris23120
    chris23120 Posts: 95
    edited May 2012
    I like the PSW1000. I had a PSW650 for 10 years and never had a problem with it. Amps do go out on any powered speaker over time, but there are excellent aftermarket options that can easily match/outpreform the stock amp and only need slight modification. The BASH 500 and Dayton500/1000 work quite well. I prefer the BASH since it is of the same design as the stock amp and is quite light and doesn't have all the pops and ground noise the Dayton's do. Although, the Daytons are quite strong performance wise and offer the parametric eq which when set at 22hz -4db work wonders in combination with the 31hz stock dayton sb filter. The Dayton is also an easy install since you just need to cut the stock hole slightly bigger. The BASH can be bought cheap if u wait for the Deals P.E. runs every six months or so, but will need a template to fit and will either need an aftermarket subsonic RCA type($13) sb filter in addition to the stock 30hz to match the odd porting (41hz) of the PSW1000. Or a better solution is to buy some mdf and extend the port inside the box up to within 1" of the front control panel changing the tuning to a low-mid 30hz at the sacrifice of some top end 100hz+ ( but who really plays a sub over 80hz?) This works amazingly well and gives the PSW1000/LSIW box the bottom end that you would expect (approching my micropro4000 level for 1/5the the cost, plus a much more attractive design if its going to be placed where you can see it) without sacrificing max spl (since you have 25% more power at least) or the great music playing ability of the stock psw1000. I have a RT5000 system +psw650 i bought new, added 2 micropro 4000's last year and then sold the PSW650 a few months back and have been playing with a bunch of PSW1000's since then. (i had to buy a pallet) I have a very large room that is vaulted to a large game room and open to the kitchen so i have found that having way more subs than most would expect has produced the best sound. I can watch a movie and not have bassy voices or background noise but then have a random gunshot hit me in the chest and move my bud light... In my home gym (which is much smaller cubic feet wise) i run POLK RT2000 with a PSW1000 and its almost as strong as my theater set up which has (2) 6.5", (4) 8", (2) 10",(2) 12" with passive radiators and about 6800peak watts just for bass!! so room size makes a big difference too. LOL Polk should make me an honorary salesperson. I have sold a ton of speakers for them over the last 12 years. I wouldn't stray away from a psw1000. Especially if i already had a LSI speakers since it would match. I am going to take the side pannels off one of these and make new ones since the RT5000 package i have is DARK Cherry..
    photo (5).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    Samsung UN55C6500 55" LED
    Onkyo TX-NR3007
    Polk Audio RT5000
    -RT3000 front
    -CS1000 center
    -FX1000 dipole
    Polk Audio PSW1000 5.1 sub
    Polk Audio microPRO 4000 x2 5.2 subs:biggrin:
  • Nice job installing the BASH 500 amplifier on the PSW1000. Would you be able to post more pictures of how you were able to get it to fit?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    All Subwoofer amps fail over time. I don't know a single brand that doesn't.
    I think the PSW is a pretty fantastic sub in it's time. Changing out the plate amp is gonna happen anyway. Changing out the drivers if they go bad or you want to try something better but having that matching cabinet is pretty cool.
    Found a PSW1000 for sale locally. Debating getting it since it matches perfectly with my LSi 15's. Its not exactly cheap so I had another idea..... find a empty cabinet for one so I can put some other subs in it but still have the veneer and everything match the fronts.....

Thoughts from folks?

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Umm fellas this thread is 10years old. I know for a fact that Dan @EndersShadow has moved on. I'm fairly certain his LSi 15 are no longer in the picture.

How you doing Dan @mantis ? Things coming around for you?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I forgot I even started this thread. And yes I moved on…

cw8xhq1c69ul.png
    cog2uuevkbk5.png
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I forgot I even started this thread. And yes I moved on…

cw8xhq1c69ul.png
    cog2uuevkbk5.png

You're running those with the Denon 3808ci the best receiver ever made known to man. More power than a 6 engine freight train!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    Hello,
    I'm recovering. I'm 11 months into this and I'm probably 80% better. Still have things lingering but I'm dealing with them. Thanks so much for asking.

pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Umm fellas this thread is 10years old. I know for a fact that Dan @EndersShadow has moved on. I'm fairly certain his LSi 15 are no longer in the picture.

How you doing Dan @mantis ? Things coming around for you?

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.