SDA 2b and DENON PMA-2000R

Options
2»

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »

From reading I can assume my blade/blade are not compatible?
    WHICH "blade/blade" speakers are you talking about?

Blade/blade SDA 2B, and blade/blade SDA 1C can be made compatible with a piece of wire and suitable connectors. SDA 2A and 1B, and earlier versions, cannot.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »

WHICH "blade/blade" speakers are you talking about?

Blade/blade SDA 2B, and blade/blade SDA 1C can be made compatible with a piece of wire and suitable connectors. SDA 2A and 1B, and earlier versions, cannot.

SDA SRS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited October 2022
    Options

Depends.
    8szz6lpmdeh5.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    edited October 2022
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Depends.
    8szz6lpmdeh5.jpg

SDA SRS with serial # greater than 5001 are compatible with the AI-1?

I shall take another look at my serial #’s…..

I do know that my drivers are all dated 1986.
    Looking at the sda lookup I think my sda srs are version 3?
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Looks like no Dreadnought here...
    Serial #'s in the 3000's.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited October 2022
    Options
    You should buy and build a Dreadnought regardless as it makes SDA's sound better even if the amp is common ground.

F1,
    Why does a dreadnought do this?
    Is this just for the 1.2’s & 1.2tl’s?

I have no technical answer to that.

It applies to any SDA model capable of using the original AI-1.

pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Cannot be used on blade/Blade models, only pin/blade.

Helloooooo

Blade/ blade models both blades carry signal. One of the reasons they are completely incompatible with non-common ground amps.
    To get even more confusing some of the very early pin/blade models actually used a blade/Blade socket that was wired differently, AND the AI-1 had an adapter for a blade/Blade socket on those early speakers. The AI-1 also had a warning to only use on speaker models of a certain serial number and up.

Pin/blade models only the pin carries the signal and the blade is for support or connection of ground for mono blocs or non-common amps.

Why a Dreadnought works so well with common ground amps I cannot explain either but it does and many have confirmed it in spades.
    I used one on mine with my Carver TFM45, it made a pretty significant difference.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I should type faster and be less distracted lol
    Jesse's picture is what I was referring to. I had an AI-1 but someone offered money for it I was stupid to turn down 😉. Besides I already had 2 dreadnoughts 😁😁
  • alexanikin
    Options

Pin/blade models only the pin carries the signal and the blade is for support or connection of ground for mono blocs or non-common amps.

This is something that caught my eye. My 2B's didn't have an interconnect cable, so I made one connecting speakers only over pins. Two questions:
    1) is there a need to add a wire for blades too? (in case of amp with common ground)
    2) would it be helpful if Denon actually have no common ground?
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2022
    Options
    alexanikin wrote: »

This is something that caught my eye. My 2B's didn't have an interconnect cable, so I made one connecting speakers only over pins. Two questions:
    1) is there a need to add a wire for blades too? (in case of amp with common ground)
    2) would it be helpful if Denon actually have no common ground?

For the pin/blade SDA's the blade side of the socket goes directly to the black speaker binding posts inside the binding cup. The amplifier interface one (AI-1) cable had a small box built into the cable that had a tiny torrid transformer built into it. Research of this tiny transformer with the help of Matthew Polk lead to the development of the larger much better torrid transformers 800va-1000va dreadnoughts. @DarqueKnight provided the in depth research and development and named them dreadnoughts.
    The 1000va torrid is special order only and I believe if memory serves me right you must order minimum of 10 for them to make a run.

If your amp is common ground there is no need for the blade side as the wire you made for the pins will work for the SDA signal just fine.

If however your amp is non-common ground then you will need to either build the 800va dreadnought or beg someone to sell you an AI-1 cable, which are exceedingly rare in/on the market. Avel Lindberg off the shelf 800va torrid is your only other option.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/131848/avel-lindberg-y236906-transformer-800va-for-sda-dreadnoughts

• alexanikin
    Options
    Hey everyone. Thank you for all your thoughts here in this thread. It turned out that the unit I wanted to get have problems with its faceplate, so I decided to pass. So in this thread, there is will no answer if its common ground or not :)
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    Why a Dreadnought works so well with common ground amps I cannot explain either but it does and many have confirmed it in spades. I used one on mine with my Carver TFM45, it made a pretty significant difference.

The ground plane of an amplifier is a significant reservoir of electrical noise. The Dreadnought allows you to bypass that. Electrical noise has a particularly detrimental effect on the spatial properties of an amplifier, as well overall clarity and detail.
    The amplifier interface one (AI-1) cable had a small box built into the cable that had a tiny torrid transformer built into it. Research of this tiny transformer with the help of Matthew Polk lead to the development of the larger much better torrid transformers 800va-1000va dreadnoughts. @DarqueKnight provided the in depth research and development and named them dreadnoughts.

I am not aware of any original AI-1 interfaces that used a small toroidal transformer. The AI-1s I have seen and read about in Polk's literature, and the AI-1 that I own, uses a tiny laminated steel transformer that is prone to saturate and increase distortion in the music. Matthew Polk advised using a non common ground interface based on a large, high current toroidal transformer. Large, high current, low-noise toroidal transformers were prohibitively expensive during the SDA era. High current, low noise toroidal transformers are still expensive.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2022
    Options
    You are correct Ray, I had a poor description and that was the only thing that I could think of at the time.

It was 3am I couldn't sleep 😴

Yes I remember the saturation problem.

Thanks for the correction