SDA 2b and DENON PMA-2000R

Options
Hi guys.

Looking for a piece of advice here.

What do you think about coupling SDA 2b with Denon PMA-2000R?

Right now I'm having Denon PMA-880R and am pretty much happy with it, but I got an opportunity to get a bigger brother. I don't know whether the dual mono nature of 2000R will couple with SDAs..

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    If it is a true dual mono, that is no common ground between the negative outputs, then you cannot use it with your speakers without the AI-1 or Dreadnought isolation transformer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• alexanikin
    Options
    Don’t know for sure if there is a connection or not. That the purpose of this post.

9lg3fm2lu11z.jpeg
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Looks like common ground from the schematic but I'm not an electrical technician

https://www.hifiengine.com/hfe_downloads/index.php?denon/denon_pma-2000r_service.pdf

Best to check with an ohmeter to back that up, I'd say.

0i789n6ozn0y.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    Options

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    edited October 2022
    Options
    The other part of the schematic that shows the L and R speaker terminals. I would like someone who is more electronics oriented than I am to explain to me why it isn't common ground when the schematic shows the L and R negative terminals going to the same node labeled GND. Seems like a killer amp.

61hjyobzebtd.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I had my eye on buying a 2000IVR for many years but went in a number of different directions and never got one.

Denon’s $4K A110 integrated appears to use a very similar if not identical high current amp design all these years later. It produces way more power than it’s rated for.

Other than the forum thread above I haven’t seen any evidence the design is not common ground. It’s not mentioned in manuals or on the back of the amps. Only way to find out for certain is for someone who has one doing the usual test. The design has always had the dual transformers.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    I did what others suggested here and ohmed between my negative speaker output terminals, on my Phase Linear amp, and was confident with the reading.
    Put it in the system to drive the SDA’s and all was well.

Maybe this helps?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited October 2022
    Options
    If Eric @Conradicles says it doesn't work with SDA's without a AI-1 or dreadnought you can bank that he knows.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The other part of the schematic that shows the L and R speaker terminals. I would like someone who is more electronics oriented than I am to explain to me why it isn't common ground when the schematic shows the L and R negative terminals going to the same node labeled GND. Seems like a killer amp.

61hjyobzebtd.jpg

The two sets of binding posts on the right channel share a ground as do the left channel, but the right and left channels do not.

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    If you follow it through as indicated to the other section P5 and P7 are tied together at GND. It says "to IU-2917-3". The first schematic section I showed.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2022
    Options
  • F1nut
    Options
    As always, the only true way to know is test the outputs.

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,278
    Options
    I believe the two transformers are wired in parallel, it looks like it only has one bridge rectifier, so it may indeed be common ground, but test to be sure.
  • alexanikin
    Options
    Guys, thank you for all your thoughts. The amp is on its way, so my only option now is to test it.
  • F1nut
    Options
    You should buy and build a Dreadnought regardless as it makes SDA's sound better even if the amp is common ground.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    You should foam the inner frames on the MW's and phase-plug them, then see what the Dreadnought can add.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,339
    Options
    As far as telling from the schematic posted, there isn't there to see where the grounds are connected. Need more over to the left.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • alexanikin
    Options
    I feel my next question is stupid, but I have to ask.

Let's assume it is NOT common ground. Can I just add a wire between negative posts? Would it work or kill the amp?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    alexanikin wrote: »
    I feel my next question is stupid, but I have to ask.

Let's assume it is NOT common ground. Can I just add a wire between negative posts? Would it work or kill the amp?

Sometimes you can, I cannot say for certain on this particular amp.
  • alexanikin
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Sometimes you can, I cannot say for certain on this particular amp.

Interesting something to explore.
  • F1nut
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Do not strap the negative outputs without confirmation from the manufacturer.

If you don't have a VOM borrow one.

President of Club Polk

• alexanikin
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Sure. I don’t have another amp and set of speakers for empirical tests..
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited October 2022
    Options
    "Dual mono" usually refers to the "power" side, not the speaker ground side. A moment with an ohmmeter would tell the tale for certain. If the two schematics posted are accurate, this amp is SDA-compatible.

Aside from balanced/bridged amplifiers which cannot be common-ground, virtually all the "dual-mono" amps I know of are either just-plain-common-ground, or common-ground through a resistor pair, making them suitable for a jumper-wire between the negative speaker terminals.

Seems to me there's at least one Carver amplifier that has one channel inverted, and then the + and - terminals for that channel are inverted to compensate. Makes the power supply seem "bigger" since bass notes which tend to be monophonic, would then pull from both the + and the - supply rails. Amps like that might or might not be labeled "dual-mono", but they'd be trouble with SDA speakers.
  • F1nut
    Options
    alexanikin wrote: »

Sure. I don’t have another amp and set of speakers for empirical tests..

Not sure what point you're attempting to make, but it has nothing to do with what I posted. Bottom line get yourself a VOM.

President of Club Polk

• alexanikin
    Options

Not sure what point you're attempting to make, but it has nothing to do with what I posted. Bottom line get yourself a VOM.

This is exactly what I’ve done before my previous comment - ordered a VOM.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Good man. Be sure to let us know the result.

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    Options
    You should buy and build a Dreadnought regardless as it makes SDA's sound better even if the amp is common ground.

F1,
    Why does a dreadnought do this?
    Is this just for the 1.2’s & 1.2tl’s?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Cannot be used on blade/Blade models, only pin/blade.
  • F1nut
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »

F1,

I have no technical answer to that.

It applies to any SDA model capable of using the original AI-1.

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »

F1,

I have no technical answer to that.

It applies to any SDA model capable of using the original AI-1.

From reading I can assume my blade/blade are not compatible?