The Space Thread -

Comments

• It gets weird, though, when we consider that the speed of light does vary depending on the medium in which it travels

And that we don't really know the speed of light.
    We can measure the 2 way speed of light in a experiment (there and back) but what if the speed going there is 2C and back is instantaneous ?
    Huh ? 🤔😵‍💫
    Veritasium on Youtube presents such stuff I think to just confuse me at a higher level.
    It's working. 🤯

https://youtu.be/pTn6Ewhb27k

Sal Palooza
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    Watching a Falcon Heavy take off should be on everyones Space bucket list. First time in 3 years SpaceX will try for the 10/27 launch and best of all its a 8pm launch \. A night time Falcon Heavy is a sight to see for sure

Falcon Heavy is the most powerful operational rocket in the world by a factor of two. With the ability to lift into orbit nearly 64 metric tons (141,000 lb) Falcon Heavy can lift more than twice the payload of the next closest operational vehicle, the Delta IV Heavy. Falcon Heavy is composed of three Falcon 9 nine-engine cores whose 27 Merlin engines together generate more than 5 million pounds of thrust at liftoff, equal to approximately eighteen 747 aircraft.

Farking monster it is
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    In case something goes wrong? I think I'll be watching that from a distance......like, a completely different state kinda distance.....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Back to Blue Jets for a moment....

hw1hzoc5nyla.png

Blue jets zip upward from thunderclouds into the stratosphere, reaching altitudes up to about 50 kilometers in less than a second. Whereas ordinary lightning excites a medley of gases in the lower atmosphere to glow white, blue jets excite mostly stratospheric nitrogen to create their signature blue hue.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    My buddy, Brad, is at it again. Sunflowers are at their peak at Badger Creek Rec Area in central Iowa...

52251763995_f56dc07e65_b.jpg

I'd like to have that pic blown up and framed on the wall in my den! Awesome pic!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    halo71 wrote: »
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    My buddy, Brad, is at it again. Sunflowers are at their peak at Badger Creek Rec Area in central Iowa...

52251763995_f56dc07e65_b.jpg

I'd like to have that pic blown up and framed on the wall in my den! Awesome pic!

I will pass along the praise. He is a great guy even if he is a lawyer for the state these days and not a full time photojournalist from his first degree. Hehe.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • treitz3
    2oa0v4ckfam2.png

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,923
    Speaking of space -- sort of.
    Actually saw this on audioasylum.

https://youtu.be/ZyyrfB8s5cY
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Well that was depressing...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ZLTFUL
    audioluvr wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Well that was depressing...

And this only shows you the initial and immediately following impact damage. The post-impact damage after all of the ejected debris have a chance to spread out in the atmosphere, we get reduction in sunlight making it to the ground, temp drops, plant life extinctions, flash vaporization of water in some of the large impacts...

Good times will be had by all!

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    I think it's safe to say that last scenario in the video is pretty much one and done. :#
  • So with the last impact that'll be the equivalent of 1040 BILLION Tsar bombs, are they saying that there's no chance of survival ?
    Gosh, that's rather pessimistic ! 🤔☢️🤯

BTW the Tsar Bomb was pretty interesting; blew a hole in the sky. 👍

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCTzbh4mNQ
    Sal Palooza
  • ZLTFUL
    So with the last impact that'll be the equivalent of 1040 BILLION Tsar bombs, are they saying that there's no chance of survival ?
    Gosh, that's rather pessimistic ! 🤔☢️🤯

BTW the Tsar Bomb was pretty interesting; blew a hole in the sky. 👍

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCTzbh4mNQ

In the case of the last scenario, we would no longer even have an atmosphere to worry about. Definitely a mass extinction level event. The planet would look a lot like Mercury.

• mhardy6647
    looked kinda like we was all aglow in that last simulation :|
  • Happy it only comes every 4 billion years :#
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Forgive me if this is a re-post, but to me it's amazing the number of private companies wanting to get into the low earth orbit game lately. SpinLaunch is using a novel way to get the payload into the upper atmosphere, without the burden of lifting huge amounts of fuel along the journey! Spin it, and fling it up high, and then use down-scaled rocket engines and fuel to it's destination!

fkkylu0doer9.png

https://www.spinlaunch.com/
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • I can only imagine the g forces at work here!
  • NotaSuv
    Just a reminder that there will be Sonic booms going off on Tuesday, November 1st, about 7 minutes after lift-off for
    Spacex Falcon Heavy. Launch is currently scheduled at 9:40AM EDT. This rocket will be lifting off in Cape Canaveral, FL.

The sonic booms are caused by the boosters coming in for a dual landing....each booster will create its own sonic boom, if clear you can watch the reentry...and all this happens after the lift off of a Falcon Heavy the most powerful rocket in the world.....
  • ^ Flacon Heavy can hold the title for a little longer.
    SLS may get launched early Nov.?

• NotaSuv
    The highlight of this launch will be the dual sonic booms as the boosters come back home.....SLS looking at Nov 14th night time launch which will be another must see
  • ^ Oh yea...
    When they did a night launch of the Saturn V it was incredible! Looked like daytime.
  • treitz3
    Cool shot of Mercury...

1oehd1l5v6b2.png

Tom
  • treitz3
    Just for fun.....and interesting view of a space launch....

o04tqyvmc80x.png

Tom
  • treitz3
    w9jymyzxhsrw.png

Over 200 million Americans watched the total #solar eclipse in August 2017, but no one had a better view than photographer Jon Carmichael. He spent years plotting how he could capture the total eclipse in a unique way, eventually combining his passions for photography, astronomy, and flight.

Tom
  • NotaSuv
    This sonic boom was heard in many States...East of us you could see the fireball....was very cool....and this coming week we try for a moon shot again

TOP SECRET X-37B SPACEPLANE ENDS RECORD 908 DAY MISSION
    The U.S. Space Force announced the landing a X-37B space plane after a record 908 days orbiting Earth--four months longer than any of the previous five X-37B flights.
    The robotic X-37B touched down at NASA's Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida today (Nov. 12) at 5:22 a.m. EST (1022 GMT). … See more
  • NotaSuv
    3rd time for the Moon shot looks good...
    ARTEMIS IS GO FOR LAUNCH
    NASA just concluded a Pre-Launch Mission Briefing with media where officials stated that other than a few minor issues, the SLS Rocket & Orion spacecraft are ready for launch at 1:04am Wednesday, Nov. 16

Mission Managers stated that a small piece of insulation peeled away from Orion during Hurricane Nicole, is about 10 feet in length, and it is a "very very thin layer" about 0.2 inches thick.

NASA says "We do not have access to repair this at the pad". NASA says it is not concerned about "liberated debris" hitting critical components during launch.

According to NASA, this RTV insulation material is there to essentially fill in a small gap in the Orion spacecraft where there otherwise would be some aero heating, not an insulation concern.

Mission managers will meet again Monday morning to get full approval to launch Orion

Are you visiting the #SpaceCoast for the Launch of Artemis ?? Check out VisitTitusvilleFL.com/Artemis for updates, live video and more !!
  • mhardy6647
    Foam.
    Excellent.
    :#
  • NotaSuv
    People started camping out Sunday to watch this launch.....we are maybe 4 miles from a good viewing spot so will stay up for this one......
  • ZLTFUL
    Watched the livestream. I would happily volunteer to be on the next trip. But that's just me.