Def Tech BP2002

Scored a pair of BP2002 speakers that may need a little help.

Having trouble tracking down a manual.

Anyone know where to snag one or have feedback on these speakers?

@VR3
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    What kind of trouble?

The manual is nothing more than a small setup guide and meaningless specs 😅
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Is this the original 2002 or the tl
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3 wrote: »

I believe originals and from what I can tell (had to leave to go straight to a bday party) one set of binding posts are sheared on one speaker but nothing looks wrong w the other.

Got ‘em from a shop who said customer said “they have some problems” and they (shop) never even hooked em up.

x207zzpcooc3.jpeg
    grkunbxcpn85.jpeg

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    Binding post are pretty easy to replace, just a matter of hookign them up and seeing what all is wrong
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Dan before you buy replacement posts, fire up and connect the speaker w/o the broken posts, see whats wrong if anything. Then move those posts to replace broken ones and then check that speaker.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    edited September 2022
    I think it might be the TL. First gen had a tm per side and the second green was a mtm per side
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2022
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Dan before you buy replacement posts, fire up and connect the speaker w/o the broken posts, see whats wrong if anything. Then move those posts to replace broken ones and then check that speaker.

Will try. The ones on the broken speaker aren’t totally gone but it looks like the previous owner connected them with the electrical tape.

The broken ones are the bottom ones for the subs…

The top two pair are fine.
  • They are originals. Just got home. Better pictures.

Speaker one (obvious issues).

3e9ap3hx1zpz.jpeg
    75e8y9trf98w.jpeg
    dbt52qd57cr3.jpeg
    ar2usrwsh1es.jpeg

Speaker two (appears fine)

6qk8qnkn8tgw.jpeg
    hbxs0o61tcp5.jpeg
    q7pmv69kca0f.jpeg
    yib2gmyv8tv0.jpeg
  • VR3
    Look to be in pretty good shape!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    1pcca6zxwkai.png

Oh noes, what happened to the adjustment knobs?
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2022
    Speaker one (broken binding posts)

Top sets of drivers work fine.

Sub amp doesn’t turn when running regular (duh)….

Running without that set of jumpers and running an RCA and it powers up and works fine.

Pounds pretty good (have it hooked up ghetto in my garage so not REALLY a good test.

One weird quirk, when connected to my AVR and then pro amp (long story) with music paused, tweeters makes slight noise like a Star Trek phaser being fired…..

Hard to hear from far away, but def there…

Needs binding posts for sure. Not sure about anything else.

Speaker 2 (broken LFE knobs)

Top speakers sound fine (exhibit same noise in tweeters when paused).

Sub amp doesn’t turn on when running with all binding posts connected.

When running without bottom set of posts and with RCA cable, amp turns on but no sound from driver.

However can tell if that’s due to level setting since those knobs are sheared off.

Needs: level adjusters maybe more.

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    VR3 wrote: »

I believe originals and from what I can tell (had to leave to go straight to a bday party) one set of binding posts are sheared on one speaker but nothing looks wrong w the other.

Got ‘em from a shop who said customer said “they have some problems” and they (shop) never even hooked em up.

x207zzpcooc3.jpeg
    grkunbxcpn85.jpeg

Call Def Tech if/when you get binding posts and sub knobs; they may have the parts.

Had to do the same for one of my recently acquired Mythos Ones.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    I'm getting a pair of BP2002TL's this Christmas. I was thinking this model had MTM driver arrangement though.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • VR3
    The 2002 is a mid and tweeter. The tl was a Mtm, the tl version, imo is a decent upgrade over the first gen
  • Asked Def Tech if they had parts. They have binding posts they are sending me (at no cost which is really nice of them!) but no trim pots.

Asked if they had part info or schematics for them to see if Mouser or Digikey or some other vendor might and will update with whatever they tell me.
  • Opened up both today and swapped the bottom binging posts from the speaker w broken tone controls to the other.

Everything now works fine on that speaker. I do need to find an secondary source for the tone controls.

What little I can see the parts are labeled as “A5K” but that means little to nothing to me lol….

Otherwise everything seems to check out.

0z5b8x5e929x.jpeg
    93copxwm684q.jpeg
    oluczfktni5p.jpeg
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2022
    I’m not sure. I went ahead and took the entire amp out and may disassemble it even further and take a shot at desoldering them myself to see if I can figure out what specifically they are, but here’s what I got right now.

lc0hso6ug5ud.jpeg
    jspc5kscn2ni.jpeg
    eud2l2zodpv4.jpeg
    mm8vabu432op.jpeg

It’s also got a magnet attached to the bottom of the transformer which I’m not sure is supposed to be there as it comes off sooo…..

zhffjmh4fw36.jpeg

Some better amp pics…
    mjev7j4jl4aw.jpeg
    i63t0d5zq8h9.jpeg
    0hz6w1j76ka5.jpeg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Yea that (A) thing is code for sumpin, I'm in agreement that the 5K is ohms.
    Might be how the legs attach to the board.

But then it may not matter one iota.
  • Yeah hoping they send me service schematics or even a part number to get for it but who knows.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited September 2022
    I don't mean to stir the pot..... but I have some potting experience. "A" means log or logarithmic pot, "B" would designate a linear. Stay with same type as they are different animals in way they adjust whatever they are adjusting. A is smoother or gradual over entire range, B or linear is abrupt or coarser with slight movement.

Do you have a solder sucker Dan? There are various flavors. Manual bulb, spring loaded manually triggered and my personal fav, all in one heat with push button vacuum. When desoldering, I prefer over and done quickly versus torturing and possible damage of board. We can discuss a loan if you are, Cake reference intended, going the distance.

You don't want to damage vias in circuit boards by pulling or forcing partially attached components.

Oh, nice speakers!

dehdb8cgwejd.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited September 2022
    Yeah hoping they send me service schematics or even a part number to get for it but who knows.

Otherwise, you are going to have to filter search for a panel and board mount pot at digikey or mouser. Plus, it would be nice to have matching knobs. Also, need wattage spec.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • VR3
    That magnet belongs to a driver, so the sub drivers work right?
  • SCompRacer wrote: »
    I don't mean to stir the pot..... but I have some potting experience. "A" means log or logarithmic pot, "B" would designate a linear. Stay with same type as they are different animals in way they adjust whatever they are adjusting. A is smoother or gradual over entire range, B or linear is abrupt or coarser with slight movement.

First off, I love the joke there :smile:

Second, good to know. Got a thread on DIYAudio in case someone can narrow down the manufacture but your logic tracks (but I don’t know jack about pots sooo)…
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Do you have a solder sucker Dan? There are various flavors. Manual bulb, spring loaded manually triggered and my personal fav, all in one heat with push button vacuum. When desoldering, I prefer over and done quickly versus torturing and possible damage of board. We can discuss a loan if you are, Cake reference intended, going the distance.

You don't want to damage vias in circuit boards by pulling or forcing partially attached components.

I do not have one. I don’t even have a solder iron outside a woodburning iron my wife bought that “could” work but I’d not really want to use it.

She also got a butane soldering iron but I don’t trust that one either lol….

I was gonna hope to go bug my buddy at his shop to desolder for me but I’d rather learn how to do this because I also need to solder parts on another amp that he’s yet to get around too so I might be able to knock both out…

SCompRacer wrote: »
    Oh, nice speakers!

Thanks. Curious how they do compared to the SDA 2As but honestly got em to play with and maybe make a quick buck…. Or kick another pair of speakers out of my stable (likely my AV123 ELT-525s

• SCompRacer
    edited September 2022
    I have the Hakko FR-301 with various tip sizes. I'm here if you get desperate.

li23h1as4ckz.png

https://youtu.be/F_HoMkkRHv8
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2022
    VR3 wrote: »
    That magnet belongs to a driver, so the sub drivers work right?

Yup. Found the culprit…. Front tweeter from that speaker.

5lre45ueu1kl.jpeg

xm5cnjtk01ua.jpeg

Not sure if the tweeter is salvageable….

q2yzft9cpm5u.jpeg
    3tdt0jvev4st.jpeg

Checked and all other drivers have their magnets lol…

May JB Weld them all just to be safe but not tonight lol.

I have the Hakko FR-301 with various tip sizes. I'm here if you get desperate.

li23h1as4ckz.png

I may hit you up. Ironically I am supposed to head up that way this weekend for my grandfathers memorial but not sure we have time for stop because that would be ideal lol….
  • SCompRacer
    Let me check my schedule....

vw8x0g460igv.png
    Let me check my schedule....

vw8x0g460igv.png

Yeah yeah yeah… run it in lol….. I may chat w my wife to get her feelings on a quick drop by on both sides.

We are heading to Milwaukee (Waukesha) for my grandfathers memorial on Saturday.
  • I believe those are Alpha brand pots, do a search for "Alpha A5k" and there seems to be some for sale on eBay.