Replacing binding posts on a Yamaha M-65

ipsullivan
ipsullivan Posts: 65
edited July 2013 in Electronics
I am looking to replace the old binding posts on my M-65 with some new 5-ways. Could someone point me in the right direction for a good replacement?

Any tips or things I should consider before doing this?

Thanks,
Ian
Post edited by ipsullivan on

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited July 2013
    The problem is, on that amp the plastic binding posts are attached directly to the output board are secured to the back panel via plastic housing that was incorporated into the binding posts itself. So to replace them you must remove the output board completely with the binding posts. Then you have to fabricate a panel preferably out of metal, to accommodate the 6 new pairs of binding post. and attach it just inside the pack panel. Now to wire in the new posts you will have splice into the output leads that originally were soldered to the output board that you can no longer use, unless you fabricate a bracket for it because it too was held in place by the binding posts. But if you pay attention and take notes or mark which leads are what before removal of the output board you can do away with it all together. Good luck
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited July 2013
    Or has I suggested before check out www.legendaryamps.com as they specialize in repairing/restoring that line of yamaha amplifiers. There is some pics on that website of the amps with new binding posts that might help shed some light.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited July 2013
    Or has I suggested before check out www.legendaryamps.com as they specialize in repairing/restoring that line of yamaha amplifiers. There is some pics on that website of the amps with new binding posts that might help shed some light.

I have an M80 that works great except 2 of the binding posts are broken off at the panel. I Checked with Legendary amps about repairing/replacing, and his minimum is app $400 + Parts and he will restore the whole amp. It really is a great amp, but how much can I sink into it? How much can a fully restored M-80 be worth? It is an absolute beast of an amp and beautiful too.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited July 2013
    I don't get the logic, Let's build a beautiful sounding/looking amp that weights 40 to 60 lbs and put 6 huge pair of cheap plastic posts on the back that stick out really far our customers will easily bump on everything. And then use rigid metal instead of wire to attach them the to board so when there bumped it will damage the board as well. Its just dumb.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited July 2013
    I don't get the logic, Let's build a beautiful sounding/looking amp that weights 40 to 60 lbs and put 6 huge pair of cheap plastic posts on the back that stick out really far our customers will easily bump on everything. And then use rigid metal instead of wire to attach them the to board so when there bumped it will damage the board as well. Its just dumb.

Yup... but the meters on the front are the shizzle...:cheesygrin:
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited July 2013
    hope this helps

But why do they use crappy Rat shack connectors?

yammi amp speaker terminals (2).jpg
    yammi amp speaker terms.jpg
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, I like them too... Reminds me of a certain 1982 black Trans AM.
  • I have made my own with delrin and my cnc workstation , they are bulletproof now , i have some for sale if interested , they are almost drop in and they look factory
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited September 2022
    ricardito wrote: »
    I have made my own with delrin

Obviously you didn't read the rules here.
    You must have 100 posts before you can sell.
    You still got time to edit your post.

Welcome aboard
    Patrick C Web MasterPosts: 404
    March 2010 edited July 2020
    Before buying or selling anything on this forum, please see the guidelines and rules for replying, found here:

Buying and Selling Guidelines / Rules of Reply

Note: Polk Audio is not responsible for any of the sales that go in within these areas. All sales are at your own risk. Any "for sale" posting must be accompanied by a price and cannot be an auction type.

Being able to offer items for sale or trade is considered, by its membership, to be an earned privilege. To earn this privilege a member must accumulate at least 100 meaningful posts before he is permitted to offer anything for sale or for trade. Furthermore, this privilege does not extend to obvious gear flippers no matter how long you have been a member.

What qualifies as "meaningful" and who are "obvious flippers" will be determined by the moderators and "for sale/trade" posts will be deleted if they are in violation of the rules.

Sellers are not restricted as to the number of posts a potential buyer has, they are encouraged to use common sense in all transactions and agree that responsibility for all aspects of the transaction handling are theirs and the buyers. If a seller wishes to limit the acceptability of potential buyers he must include this as part of the item's description.

Selling gear "for a friend" doesn't count in this Flea Market. You, or your "friend" need to take direct responsibility for the transaction. You should encourage them to join and participate prior to FM sales. There have been a couple bad transactions where the seller has washed his hands of it, since it wasn't "his" originally. Sorry Charlie, if the gear is that good, buy it and sell it under your name and assume responsibility.

The feedback submitted for those transactions do not count and will be scrutinized and deleted.

Patrick
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Also this thread is almost 10 years old. The OP probably has solved the problem by now.... :D

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • I am sorry , i thought i would help someone with those crappy binding posts …. I cannot edit the post now , so if the admin considers i have made a mistake , he is free to delete it

pitdogg2 wrote: »
    ricardito wrote: »
    I have made my own with delrin

Obviously you didn't read the rules here.
    You must have 100 posts before you can sell.
    You still got time to edit your post.

Welcome aboard
    Patrick C Web MasterPosts: 404
    March 2010 edited July 2020
    Before buying or selling anything on this forum, please see the guidelines and rules for replying, found here:

Buying and Selling Guidelines / Rules of Reply

Note: Polk Audio is not responsible for any of the sales that go in within these areas. All sales are at your own risk. Any "for sale" posting must be accompanied by a price and cannot be an auction type.

Being able to offer items for sale or trade is considered, by its membership, to be an earned privilege. To earn this privilege a member must accumulate at least 100 meaningful posts before he is permitted to offer anything for sale or for trade. Furthermore, this privilege does not extend to obvious gear flippers no matter how long you have been a member.

What qualifies as "meaningful" and who are "obvious flippers" will be determined by the moderators and "for sale/trade" posts will be deleted if they are in violation of the rules.

Sellers are not restricted as to the number of posts a potential buyer has, they are encouraged to use common sense in all transactions and agree that responsibility for all aspects of the transaction handling are theirs and the buyers. If a seller wishes to limit the acceptability of potential buyers he must include this as part of the item's description.

Selling gear "for a friend" doesn't count in this Flea Market. You, or your "friend" need to take direct responsibility for the transaction. You should encourage them to join and participate prior to FM sales. There have been a couple bad transactions where the seller has washed his hands of it, since it wasn't "his" originally. Sorry Charlie, if the gear is that good, buy it and sell it under your name and assume responsibility.

The feedback submitted for those transactions do not count and will be scrutinized and deleted.

Patrick