CD vs Tidal SQ

13»

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    @daddyjt I have to agree with you, and it's not only censorship it's also if the artist decides to pull their music like Neil young did on tidal.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    invalid wrote: »
    @daddyjt I have to agree with you, and it's not only censorship it's also if the artist decides to pull their music like Neil young did on tidal.

How'd that go for him? I had thought he caved pretty quickly..... truth be told I didn't actually follow it much.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    edited August 2022
    Yea, Mr Young picked the wrong guy to lay down his ultimatum against, lol.
    Post edited by daddyjt on
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I took the streaming plunge, and subsequent rabbit hole journey, due to a lot of threads just like this one CP. For sure it's a journey, transport, cables, power supply just like everything else.

I guess I'm lazy too, but I do like the convenience of, set it and forget it while I'm not doing any sort of critical listening. Working in the garage, basement, outside via BT, hanging with friends in the living room, fire up the streamers and enjoy!

The discovery of other artists similar to what I have played on Tidal is one of the greatest things for me. The ability to search a never ending and growing database within the streaming services is powerful. "Recommended" artists that I never knew existed, I'd try em out, and wow! Some others I'd try, meh, move on. But even finding musicians that I like making guest appearances on other albums is really awesome to me. The recent vocal of Tommy Shaw on Alan Parsons new album, or Lou Gramm on his previous! Do a search of one of your faves and be amazed at what pops up!

If I find a new artist that I like, I will most likely buy the disc. Or LP. Heck even the cassette for nostalgia! Crack em open when I have time to sit and relax in front of the big rig. SQ, I'd say is mixed for sure.

Even in the car I can play Tidal through the car's rig. Again very convenient.

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    I'll stream if I'm involved in a project, cooking etc. and can't be changing discs. As mentioned above streaming is great for being introduced to new artists, and I keep a list going of anyone I want to investigate. For me the very best CD's sound better and are more dynamic than what I can stream (my set-up), but some CD's also sound horrible.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited September 2022
    The streaming device can make a big difference in the enjoyment from a SQ stand point and UI stand point. While mine is truly not the greatest thing, I recently upgraded from a FiiO X5 gen 3 DAP to an iBasso DX160. It is night and day for usability and sound. It actually has me streaming more than listening to CD or FM now ;) . A down side is that with the iBasso's ability to properly decode MQA and other hi-res, I don't like Spotify as much and I fear I may enter streaming snobbery.

The neatest thing I found with streaming services is the discovery of new music that I otherwise wouldn't try. On a whim I just do a search for something I hadn't listened to before (i.e. Steven Wilson) and discovery is made. If I don't like then search for something else; the monthly fee is the same. Then there is the auto generated lists by the streaming services. Spotify is great for this.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    6bd4xl2nedui.png
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Tidal Screen shot. Ani is a fantastic writer.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.