CD vs Tidal SQ

Options
I am actually considering selling a large lot of my CD collection due the SQ vs the versions on Tidal just dont hold up. Some of these CDs I have owned since the 90s and when I make an attempt to listen, I am almost immediately turned off. The genre I am considering selling is best described as "classic rock". Has anyone come across this realization....is it my CD related gear possibly, the era of CDs that were pass produced, or just my continuous process of selling stuff I no longer use?

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    IMO, it depends on where your rig is at when you are making the determination. Everything is recording dependent and CD's from the 80's had many issues (generally).

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Tidal definitely adds a flavor to their playback whether they advertise it or not.

I have no complaints with tidal quality, every recording is different as per usual but I can usually listen to just about anything
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Tidal definitely adds a flavor to their playback whether they advertise it or not.

I have no complaints with tidal quality, every recording is different as per usual but I can usually listen to just about anything

I have come across that....good example is the remastered version of Sandinista on Tidal. Almost unlistenable imo.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Ha! I'm buying physical media as fast as I can. MFSL and other gold CD's and of course SACD titles. Many many folks are asking outrageous prices on most of the MFSL and other gold CD'S but patience is your friend. In the last 6 months I've bought many at less than $35. So what if the case is broke pfft I've got hundreds of new cases waiting.
    I see streaming for me sooo far down the line that I doubt the nursing home will allow my rig in there anyways 😆
    AND if they do will come on by and have a sit down listen...
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Just out of curiosity....how come you haven't bought into streaming yet? We have sub par ATT service which at times presents problems when everyone is online at once, but overall pretty happy since I switched to the Cambridge CNX streamer. Oh....when I say sub par ATT.....everything ATT related seems sub par to me.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    I have plans on going streaming hopefully in the next year, but I have no plans of doing away with my collection or taking my ModWright OPPO out of my system..

I have a PC connected to my system, and I have my CD's on an SSD but I let JRiver expire about a year ago and just haven't messed with it. I know once I get a Cambridge or Cary or something of the like I will enjoy it more..
  • treitz3
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity....how come you haven't bought into streaming yet?

I don't know who that was directed at (Most likely Ivan) but I do have a streamer setup. On my second one now. Started with the BlueSound Node2 paired with a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC. Put those in the closet when I got the Auralic Vega G2.

Streaming has, shall I say, "deficiencies" when it comes to musical playback. Every once in a while, you will get a golden gem but most that I have heard on NAP's that are north of 30K and on a plethora of different systems from mediocre to 500K systems? They still have limitations IMO/IME.

Streamers (to me) are not for critical listening.

With that said, they do have so many attributes going for them in terms of convenience? I think the Vega G2 will stay....at least for now. It makes certain music more bearable (tames it down a bit) and it does remind me of the sound of vinyl at times....and certain tracks from Nina Samone? Their recordings (Quobuz) are better than what I have found on any physical music (yet).

Plus, it is nice that my wife can sit in the LR and control the rig....playing whatever her heart desires without ever having to get up. She loves that aspect as much as she does with outstanding recordings sitting in the sweet spot. She, along with I, can appreciate both.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    I think the biggest problem with folks going to streaming is how they approach it.

Guy has a 15k turntable set up... 15k dac and cdp...

Buys a 1k streamer to get an idea and hates it...

In my streaming journey, I have found quite literally everything matters...

I run a high end modem, with a linear power supply

This connects to a mesh wifi router system. The main hub beside the router and the hub for the system has a linear power supply

Nice ethernet cables between connections

External streamer with a linear power supply

A solid dac

Good cables in between...

It all makes small improvements that impact the end result.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I am actually considering selling a large lot of my CD collection due the SQ vs the versions on Tidal just dont hold up. Some of these CDs I have owned since the 90s and when I make an attempt to listen, I am almost immediately turned off. The genre I am considering selling is best described as "classic rock". Has anyone come across this realization....is it my CD related gear possibly, the era of CDs that were pass produced, or just my continuous process of selling stuff I no longer use?

Hard to say. I’ve heard selections from Tidal (not subscribed currently), and mostly thought they sound similar to CD. I tend to favor CD playback slightly to streaming for sonics.

There ARE some dreadful sounding disc spinners based on the past year in my search for a satisfying transport. I’ve used several different CD and DVD players, and two different dedicated CD transports (sonics were great on both of these). All of these only read the 1s and 0s, connected to a separate DAC; either a Cambridge Audio DacMagic with Pangea Power Supply, Jolida TubeDac III.

I can definitely say that what is used as transport makes a significant difference, even if an outboard DAC is being utilized.

So it could be your spinner or the disc, if you’re hearing that big of a difference, compared to streaming.

I would say go with what sounds best and works best with your priorities (i.e. downsizing, convenience, etc.)
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • pitdogg2
    Options

Simple it requires internet, something I cannot afford. I have other reasons, that is the main one.
    I do have a rather large media collection (CD, SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray audio) I get satisfaction out of dropping a disc into a drawer and hitting play.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Simple it requires internet, something I cannot afford. I have other reasons, that is the main one.
    I do have a rather large media collection (CD, SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray audio) I get satisfaction out of dropping a disc into a drawer and hitting play.

Do you live in the sticks Ivan? Obviously you have data on your phone at least…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I prefer streaming, not because of better quality sound but because of the convenience of creating a playlist based on my mood that day and being able to easily discover new music I've never experienced yet. But I have no intention of selling any of my CD/DVD collection. I made that mistake with vinyl.

I look at it like I do with cable/satellite TV. It all starts out cheap and trouble free but then eventually become an expensive nuisance. I use an antenna for TV now same as I did decades ago. I may have to go back to CD's.

Also Ivan @pitdogg2 has an excellent point. Buy all you can now while it's super cheap. I've been hoarding DVD movies, music and concerts because eventually streaming services won't carry older stuff (Netflix is a perfect example).
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I am going to be upping my streaming game very soon. I have a large collection of music (already ripped to FLAC) but I only buy what I *really like*. The option of paying for a high quality (lossless) streaming service for songs or genre's I merely just want to listen to on occasion makes sense. Plus, then my girlfriend to can listen to her music streaming as well.

I will be paying huge attention to proper power to all devices as well as cabling, etc. Probably going to build a Raspberry Pi and I have been reading about Qobuz or Deezer, but don't know much about how they actually perform in the real world.

I have the Welbourne Labs linear power supply for the Raspberry PI, the same one I used with my SQB Touch. I'll probably pick up one of these to run the router and modem Keces P3. The make 2 versions of a dual supply. 5-7-9V & 12-15-16V or 12-15-16V & 12-15-16V. Keces stuff is superbly built and excellent performance.

ni86mopnsg1z.png
    g4vsbiays5bh.png
    qjm75yeohiui.png

Lots of things to think about if it is to be done with high fidelity in mind.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    Keces also makes a more expensive more elaborately built dual zone linear power supply that could be used on the modem and wireless router. But I am not sure the (almost) double the price is really worth it.

Keces P8 Dual

iovlowcn1fuh.png
    bpcano24gddp.png
    Decisions, decisions.....

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    Options
    Good looking power supply!
  • kevhed72
    Options
    So the rabbit hole opens once again....as I thought this may lead to researching a new transport lol.
  • treitz3
    Options
    So it always goes, brother! One thing always seems to lead to another because everything effects everything. Well, that and the guys here are relentless about SQ.

Tom
  • heiney9
    Options
    I have softened a bit on being relentless about SQ, but I have experienced too many positive improvements when replacing a cheap power component with a better one. Those walwart switching power supplies are terrible. I know this went a bit off the target topic.

I would even go as far to say in my experiences, a good power source does more than a good power cable. However, both are necessary for the best sound reproduction. But if you had to buy in "stages", get a better power source for components that use walwart type power before a better power cable.

H9
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Do you live in the sticks Ivan? Obviously you have data on your phone at least…

Nope not in the sticks, my phone is a TracFone. No contact, no monthly payments. I can pay $80 and get almost a year of service. 1000 texts cost me $5. One gig of data is $10.
    Cheapest internet package around me is $150 a month.
    Best buy here in town barely carries any movies anymore. Yes I go often and buy whatever 4k movies that interest me, but you got to go about twice a week as they get a drop and that's it, no more. I've been replacing titles I lost in my flood and I lost many.
    Hers is a few. Many of these had the cardboard jacket, they others became cloudy and unplayable after weeks of drying. 16-18" of sewage wrecked havoc on DVD and superbit DVD's
    2hf4dbzf9qy1.jpg
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Ivan, I am sorry to hear about your flood loss. This is terrible!
    Carl

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I see absolutely no point in streaming, etc. when I already have more physical copies than I can probably listen to in the rest of my lifetime. I also don't have the attention span of a gnat.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I love streaming because I am incredibly lazy, and it also sounds really good. I'm using an Auralic Vega G1.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    I also have literally thousands of CDs some aren't even open yet eventually I will get around to listening to them lots of SACDs, DVD and Blu Ray Audio discs, LPs, Cassettes, Digital files enough tunes to last me forever.

I stream Tidal through a Blu sound Node through a Musical Fidelity Dac or Laptop through a Audioquest Dac or the Oppo or Marantz sounds good to me save a lot of money plus no longer have space to add any more physical Media streaming has some use for me and I enjoy it, however if streaming was to go away, still got plenty of music to listen to.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I love streaming because I am incredibly lazy, and it also sounds really good. I'm using an Auralic Vega G1.

Hahaha…well I don’t think I’m a gnat 😂. However, I do pretty technical and demanding work for a living (as I’m pretty sure drew does as well), and I have a full time job, a spouse with an unrelenting full time job, four kids, animals, friends, etc. streaming can sound really damn good, and the convenience really helps since I have so many other demands on my time…

Damn @pitdogg2, $150 a month! I pay $60 for 600 mbps download. I will say that I find a lot of good deals on physical media on Amazon and eBay, you just can want the latest titles and of course must buy used…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • VR3
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I listen to whole albums if the artist or a song really captures my interest.

I don't miss physical media what so ever. I bet you I add atleast 30 to 50 new songs to my favorite track list every month. From there I discover new artist and albums... Not feasible with physical media or a realistic budget.

20 bucks a month and I have basically unlimited song selections with great sound quality.

If I had this 10 years ago I may have never sold everything.

Today I have been listening for 2 hours, tidal discovery only listened to but a hand full I have ever heard before.

• rooftop59
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I listen to whole albums if the artist or a song really captures my interest.

I don't miss physical media what so ever. I bet you I add atleast 30 to 50 new songs to my favorite track list every month. From there I discover new artist and albums... Not feasible with physical media or a realistic budget.

20 bucks a month and I have basically unlimited song selections with great sound quality.

If I had this 10 years ago I may have never sold everything.

Today I have been listening for 2 hours, tidal discovery only listened to but a hand full I have ever heard before.

Exactly. Let’s assume 2 cds from Amazon for $20 a month for the next 40 years. I would only have 960 more albums. I have basically limitless music from tidal, and on my rig with really fast, hard-wired internet through a good dac, it sounds darn good. I do still buy some albums that I really like, but not many…
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I don’t pay full price for discs. Can buy a lot for $1.00/ea. at Goodwill. Even resellers offer much that can be had for $5/ea or less.

Streaming for new artist discovery still makes more sense to me. Can use that to narrow down the physical media I definitely want to own, so don’t waste money.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I see absolutely no point in streaming, etc. when I already have more physical copies than I can probably listen to in the rest of my lifetime. I also don't have the attention span of a gnat.

I get to lazy to pick out a CD and load it in a player so I go to stream music. Then there is so much music to choose from on Tidal or Spotify that I just can't decide what to listen to. Screw it. I just flip on the FM.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    You're funny, Stan.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!