R200 Speaker Stands

Options
heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,080
edited March 2022 in Speakers
I bought a pair of black R200's when Polk offered the sale earlier in the year. I am very happy with them so far. They are barely broken in as I use them in my home office rig.

I have an older pair of 24" metal stands with 3 round tubes attached to a triangular base and smaller rectangle top plate. I think they are Dayton stands from Parts Express. They use spikes and worked well with the Pinnacle's and RT25i's I also have. Those are smaller speakers (in depth and weight). The R200's fit on these stands but I feel I need a sturdier stand for these as well as a slight height increase.

I definitely think 24" is a tad to short and think 28" stands would be better since I sit in a desk chair not a couch or living room type chair when listening. These are NOT filled with shot or sand but the new ones would be. I don't want to spend a lot since this is a secondary system. $150 is what I'm thinking my max would be.

The question is which is the better construction choice, wood (mdf) or powder coated metal? Assuming both would be filled with sand this time around.

Discuss and maybe even give some models to consider.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Powder-coated metal gets my vote when sand-filled.

Check out the Pangea offerings on audioadvisor.com

5n5fwb1iw0oh.jpeg

I cut neoprene to the size of the base, but they come with spikes.

There are also lower cost Pangea models available, but these were a steel (pun intended) at the price.

Pangea DS400
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I went super cheap and currently use Monoprice stands which look very similar to the Pangea stands above. The El Cheapo Monoprice stands may be a good fit for the R200s. My biggest beef with them is the top plates are a bit small for the L200s and the rubber pads on the bottom of the L200s hang over the sides. Centering the L200s on balls of Blu Tack is an exercise in patience. Any recommendations for better stands which have a top plate that matches the L200s?
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I went super cheap and currently use Monoprice stands which look very similar to the Pangea stands above. The El Cheapo Monoprice stands may be a good fit for the R200s. My biggest beef with them is the top plates are a bit small for the L200s and the rubber pads on the bottom of the L200s hang over the sides. Centering the L200s on balls of Blu Tack is an exercise in patience. Any recommendations for better stands which have a top plate that matches the L200s?

If the Monoprice speaker stands are anywhere near as good as their amp stands (which I have a pair), then I would agree with that.

As far as needing a larger speaker stand top plate…I recommend Pangea again. 😉
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rht28/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi82yx-fS9gIVE25vBB3dCQ1CEAQYASABEgIgefD_BwE

These look like thick MDF. Fillable too.
    Video shows easy assembly.
    Good price under $100.00.

• heiney9
    Options
    All 3 of the ones mentioned so far are on my list. The Monolith by Mono Price aren't super cheap compared to the Rockville and Pangea's. $60/ea. I like the Rockville Audio too.

Ideally around $100 is what I'd like to spend, but for the right stand I'd go $150. I'm also more interested in which material is better/worse or if it really doesn't matter for this application, ie; secondary rig in a bedroom doesn't need to have the best or the best.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    I have an older pair of 24" metal stands with 3 round tubes attached to a triangular base and smaller rectangle top plate.
    Those sound like the Sanus Ultimate Foundation stands. Excellent stands that are no longer made.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,442
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Those mentioning the small top plates. They don't have to match the size of the speaker base. Just position the speaker on the plate where it's best balanced. Buy some 3M sticky feet, but put them on the stand plate, not the speaker. This keeps the speaker in place nicely. I tried Blutack before too. What a pain.

I've also had nice results with using Sound Addicted foam monitor pads on the top plates. Jeff Bezos sells them. Ultimate decoupling if you want to go that route.

I love those SA pads. They work especially well with desktop speaker systems, like the Audioengine HD3. I use 2 sets stacked for angle, and height.

I might give those Monoprice Pangea clones a try. I have the DS300. Not sure how the DS400 differs, but they're easy to mass load. The lower baseplates at cheap and have sucky spike thread points. Thin metal. I was planning to cut some MDF to match, bolting to the baseplate, and then installing spikes properly in the MDF.
    I disabled signatures.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    edited March 2022
    Options
    4” sewer pipe and toilet flanges, sand filled, worked well for the surround cabinets I built recently. $75 for four stands with left over pipe for the next set I build for my R200’s. 😁
    Will be adding a steel plate to each with spikes for stability soon.
    skmxd2x5io1s.jpeg
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • heiney9
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I have an older pair of 24" metal stands with 3 round tubes attached to a triangular base and smaller rectangle top plate.
    Those sound like the Sanus Ultimate Foundation stands. Excellent stands that are no longer made.

Jesse, they could be. I may have had these when I had my LSi 9's which would have been at least 13+ years ago. I don't think I spent a lot on them, but it was so long ago I don't remember. The top plate is 7" x 7" and with the R200's depth being 13", they seem just tad unstable. Some of the newer stands come with 2 different sized top plates.

I really need a bit more height for my application because my office chair is a couple inches higher than a normal living room sitting position.

I can make due with them. I could make a triangular wooden riser to get more height. Fit the spikes of the base into the wooden riser and have spikes in the riser.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Here's a photo. The more I think about it, the more they just need to be 2-3" higher for my purposes. I'm liking the idea of building a simple triangular riser with spikes.

cp31fnkvwwbn.jpg
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Could also stack some same sized steel and neoprene fender washers on top and bottom of the posts to aid in both height and ringing. May need to replace the connecting bolts though. And add some thicker rubber pads on top for isolation and some longer spikes on the bottom.

But, I've always liked the steel Sanus products and have been using these with LSiM703s for several years with longer floor spikes to get them up 1.5 inches higher:

https://www.amazon.com/Sanus-SF26B1-26-inch-Speaker-Stands/dp/B004T7VCM0/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2P98O3WGWU8B4&keywords=sanus+speaker+stands&qid=1647794841&sprefix=sanus+speaker+stands,aps,57&sr=8-8

I think they are available in a 28 inch model too and I know there's a 30 inch model still. I wish they or another company would bring back their sturdier model but I don't think they've been economical for more than 10 years now.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Here's a photo. The more I think about it, the more they just need to be 2-3" higher for my purposes. I'm liking the idea of building a simple triangular riser with spikes.

cp31fnkvwwbn.jpg

I have the same exact stands only they are 30". They have to be about 15 or so years old. Excellent stands but the 6x6 top plate can be awkward to work with.
    I have the Monoprice stands for the R3's & they definitely get the job done. I haven't gotten around to filling them yet. Maybe when the weather warms up I'll take them outside where clean up is easy.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    I thought you were describing Sanus UF stands, too. Those aren't Sanus Ultimate Foundation stands above. Something else. I've never seen those before.

Here's a pic of Sanus UF stands that are no longer made:
    pt9gcc1ixx10.jpg
  • heiney9
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I thought you were describing Sanus UF stands, too. Those aren't Sanus Ultimate Foundation stands above. Something else. I've never seen those before.

Here's a pic of Sanus UF stands that are no longer made:
    pt9gcc1ixx10.jpg

I still think they are Dayton's from Parts Express. Those Sanus are definitely nicer and more stout. The one's I have aren't entry level, but not top line either. I bought them a long time ago and they have served me well for the various bookies I've used them with. 24" is just too short, IMO.

Thanks for the photo to confirm they aren't the Sanus UF's. I hadn't gotten around to looking them up on-line yet.

Maybe I should just suck it up and buy some top end stands. I just don't do any critical listening on the office rig. I want it to sound excellent, but I'm not as particular when listening to this rig. I want it to sound better than average.

H9
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Can get custom made wood stands: https://www.audiorax.com/speaker-stands

ghmp2bpgq55i.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    I use a set of Rockville RS29B stands for mine.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RS29B-Bookshelf-Stands-Black-V2/dp/B08G8XQ88H?th=1
    They are NOT fillable, nor do they come with saucers for the spikes.
    The pads on the speakers fit right over the top plate just fine.

Easy to assemble with metal screwed to metal, no woods screws in assembly.
    Finish is fine, and the top plate 9"X9" was the largest I could find at the time for about 70+bucks.

Top plates come with 2 foam adhesive strips, so the speakers are not setting on the metal plate.
    Mine are quite stable and look ok to me. Mine came with stickers, I went ahead and left them on.

I chose these as they are a tad taller which work better for my height along with how the single metal
    tube looks. Speakers do hang over the front and back a bit which first weirded me out a bit but I'm good with it now.

The Rockville RHT28's are wood and are fillable, Amazon has them for 100 bucks.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RHT28-Bookshelf-Speaker-Surround/dp/B07KRVDSB2?th=1

These come with 2 sets of top plates for different sized speakers.
    These do not have the same type of adhesive strip; they have 4 separate round, look to be plastic pads the speakers set on.

For 70 bucks I'm happy with mine.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    Well hot damn these may be the ticket!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    Options
    I couldn't help notice that they declined to specify the "metal", however. Steel would be best.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • heiney9
    Options
    Update:

These R200's are so good. I continue to be very impressed every time I turn them on. I can't seem to find a flaw. The only tiny issue being my room, I don't have a lot of choice because of the lay out. They could be father from the back wall.

Imaging is excellent, scale is also excellent, detail retrieval is also top notch. Bass is all one could ask for an more , especially for the cabinet size. It's really, really good and little to no hints of coloration or frequency "holes". Presentation is very smooth and even. Vocals are superb as are acoustic instruments.

Low level listening is fantastic as well. These don't need to play loud to get the most out of them. This was a big factor in my purchase as I can't always listen at med-high volume levels. I am using a 50wpc integrated amp/dac that is heavily class A biased. A great match.

https://power-holdings-inc.com/Keces-E40-Integrated-Amplifier-p137036102

These are the stands I went with. Pangea LS 300 - 28" stands w/ 6" x 9' top plates which I bought separately for more stability. You can see the older 24" stands which I will use in yet a 3rd system that I am building using a tube integrated amp and Polk RT25i's.

d6v1mnuakh7w.jpg

Overall A+

H9