How good is the Reserve series?

Options
2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Easy to listen to, indeed.
    ... and that, to me, is an age-old Polk hallmark. ;)

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    After a couple days of burn in, the bass has tightened up a bit. They’re also doing a little better at lower volumes. Both of these traits will be helped by an amp, looking at options now. This Denon I bought has an issue that I may or may not be able to resolve, so I may be shopping for something different anyway.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Well the Denon is staying, turns out the issue was calibration mic, replaced that today and it works fine. Overall I like the feature set of the 3700 enough to keep it, plus I don’t want to learn a new one. I thought about moving up to the 4700 with beefier amps, but I figured my money is better spent on a good 2 channel amp.

So, does anyone have experience finding a good amp paring for the Reserve? Any suggestions? Can I do better than the amps in the Denon for around $1000 or do I need to spend more for a real upgrade?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I was thinking Marantz, they add a bit of warmth that could to the R200 some good
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    I don't find the R200's bright at all.............very smooth and transparent without a hint of harshness or glare.

These take a while to break in and settle in. Mine are being used in more a near(er) field 2 channel set-up in a small home office setting. I think the low level retrieval and bass response is excellent. I listen at a lower level and they deliver.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    They’re definitely not bright. In the past I’ve found Marantz to add a touch of warmth to the mids and in hearing the R200 sound a little “shout-y”. It could be my room or placement or break in, But it could also be that the Denon isn’t a good fit and that’s why I’m looking at amps.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,339
    Options
    the R200 sound a little “shout-y”

I only heard them down at PF this year for a couple of hours brand new out of the box. This is one observation that I can say didn't match what I heard from these speakers.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited April 2022
    Options
    FWIW, I didn't/don't find the R200 at all shouty, harsh, nor bright. I also haven't found a need to toe them in (although this has been suggested as a way to tame the high end, which has a measureable "kick up" at very high frequencies).
    Mind you, my ears are... ummm... elderly at this point. :# -- but I am very sensitive to harshness in reproduced sound. Very sensitive. :|

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Note I never said these were harsh or bright, just to be clear on that. I am treble sensitive and these get to the edge for me, but as I said in my original post they never cross the line.

I did some more listening last night trying to figure out what the slight oddness I’m hearing in these is, and I found one artist in particular that brings the issue out. I was playing Mark Knopfler in particular when it became obvious, but this would probably also apply to others with a similar voice. I’ve got some Alan Taylor here somewhere, need to fire that up.

Overall these speakers do a good job of getting out of their on way, and they sound bigger than they are. The soundstage they produce is nice and expansive and there’s a good bit of air on the high end. They don’t sound “boxy”, for lack of a better word. But they have this oddity with the midrange, it’s subtle but noticeable. The best way I can describe it is, unlike the speaker as a whole, the lower mids do sound a little boxy to me. That “boxy-ness” in the mids is causing me to hear them as a little disjointed from the rest of the mix, almost as if they’re a layer sitting on top instead of being well blended. I was originally hearing them as a little shouty thinking it as an issue with frequency response, but I think it’s this behavior instead.

I’m going to flip my room today and see if it’s an issue with speaker placement, the way it’s set up now there isn’t much flexibility on placement.

It’s also possible that I’m just asking too much out of a $750 soeaker. I’m also comparing them to a $2500 speaker that is particularly known for It’s smooth midrange and ability to blend the frequencies due to how the driver is designed.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I'd let them run in a bit......

I didn't notice it with the R200.....but I did with the L800's the the treble had a glare that would call attention to itself, however, after a couple weeks it abated completely.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • heiney9
    Options
    Note I never said these were harsh or bright, just to be clear on that. I am treble sensitive and these get to the edge for me, but as I said in my original post they never cross the line.

I did some more listening last night trying to figure out what the slight oddness I’m hearing in these is, and I found one artist in particular that brings the issue out. I was playing Mark Knopfler in particular when it became obvious, but this would probably also apply to others with a similar voice. I’ve got some Alan Taylor here somewhere, need to fire that up.

Overall these speakers do a good job of getting out of their on way, and they sound bigger than they are. The soundstage they produce is nice and expansive and there’s a good bit of air on the high end. They don’t sound “boxy”, for lack of a better word. But they have this oddity with the midrange, it’s subtle but noticeable. The best way I can describe it is, unlike the speaker as a whole, the lower mids do sound a little boxy to me. That “boxy-ness” in the mids is causing me to hear them as a little disjointed from the rest of the mix, almost as if they’re a layer sitting on top instead of being well blended. I was originally hearing them as a little shouty thinking it as an issue with frequency response, but I think it’s this behavior instead.

I’m going to flip my room today and see if it’s an issue with speaker placement, the way it’s set up now there isn’t much flexibility on placement.

It’s also possible that I’m just asking too much out of a $750 soeaker. I’m also comparing them to a $2500 speaker that is particularly known for It’s smooth midrange and ability to blend the frequencies due to how the driver is designed.

It's all part of the fun of dialing in a new system. Frustrating and rewarding all at the same time. These may not compare to your $2500 pair, but I think most agree they punch way beyond their price. I am still simply amazed these are a $750 speaker.

In my own limited experience in my set-up, I haven't noticed what you hear. Perhaps a different amp/more playing time will help get them dialed in for you.

Good luck and keep updating this thread.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited April 2022
    Options
    This is my set-up with the front edge of the speakers being approx. 5' away from my sitting position. Speakers are about 8" from the back wall, slightly toed in. 24" stands aren't ideal. Looking for 28" stands soon.

j1kxnnyoimdx.jpg

H9
  • heiney9
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

BTW, I don't believe I have ever told you this or not, but I love that quote by Pass in your sig. 😉

Tom

Thanks.............I think it's one of the most true statements made about audio and its appreciation. One of my favorite quotes

H9

• heiney9
    Options
  • heiney9
    Options
    Finally got some proper stands (correct height) and have been doing a lot more listening lately. These really sound excellent with just about anything I throw at them. I thought I might be missing a lot not getting the Legend. For a secondary rig that I only occasionally listen to I just couldn't justify the Legend series.

I am no longer worried I am missing out. I have no doubt the L series with get you that extra 10% or so more, but the cost difference is hard to justify for my application.

These are definitely ripe for a X-over parts upgrade. I'm going to follow A2's thread when I get time.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195760/r200-crossover-upgrade

H9
  • sparky14
    sparky14 Posts: 23
    Options
    Re: Amps matching....

I've been doing some cheap amp testing. Had a cheap old Niles 2 channel amp, that sounded really good with the R20s. That got me thinking what other options there are. I've been looking in the $750 range, but it the meantime I've been trying supercheap.

Trying out a super cheap Aiyima A07 amp ($79 Amazon). It is shockingly good for $79. Swapped out the NE3552 opamps for OPA2604 that I've had for years, got a little better. Ordered some OPA1656s ($19 shipped) which are supposed to be really good.

Also have a Nobsound 6P1 tube amp enroute. Cheap ebay purchase, so we'll see if it even works. I will try it out with the R20s first, but I expect that amp (if it works) will end up with my Tekton Mini Lore Monitors.

Still looking at some sub $1000 solid state options, but the Aiyima is pretty satisfying for under $100.
    Polk R200 SpeakersSchiit Saga S & AegirCr*pload of old disc players for my old CDs.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I ended up swapping the R200 for the R600 and happier with this setup in my room. Obviously the low end is better, and these added a touch of warmth to the midrange I was looking for.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I am really liking the R600, was worried they would overwhelm my small 12x12 room but they work well.
  • Sigfried
    Sigfried Posts: 69
    Options
    sparky14 wrote: »
    Re: Amps matching....

I've been doing some cheap amp testing. Had a cheap old Niles 2 channel amp, that sounded really good with the R20s. That got me thinking what other options there are. I've been looking in the $750 range, but it the meantime I've been trying supercheap.

Trying out a super cheap Aiyima A07 amp ($79 Amazon). It is shockingly good for $79. Swapped out the NE3552 opamps for OPA2604 that I've had for years, got a little better. Ordered some OPA1656s ($19 shipped) which are supposed to be really good.

Also have a Nobsound 6P1 tube amp enroute. Cheap ebay purchase, so we'll see if it even works. I will try it out with the R20s first, but I expect that amp (if it works) will end up with my Tekton Mini Lore Monitors.

Still looking at some sub $1000 solid state options, but the Aiyima is pretty satisfying for under $100.

I was wondering if you ever had a chance to put those OPA1656's into your A07 and if so what your thoughts of doing so were? I purchased an A07 and enjoy it so much that i purchased a second in case the price started going up. That being said i have mine stock and have not changed out opamps. Curious to see how much better this little amp can get with a simple opamp roll.

You are right, this is a dynamite amp for under $100. I would have paid more for this kind of performance. Was ready to send the first one back but was very pleasantly surprised.
  • polkspeakersfan
    Options
    I have had the Reserve series for Home Theatre since Day 1 of release, simply based on specs and news releases.

Back then, I still remembered everyone from dealer to audiophile friends telling me it was stupid to buy the Reserve series.

Since then, this series has blown up on the Internet over the last 2 years.

Glad I didn't listen to them, because I think if one has never heard music from the Reserve series, you would never know how music can actually sound. I think the Legend series also work this way.

Now I cringe when hearing other speakers costing 2x or 3x more. They may have the "attack" but missing all the unbelievable quality than the Reserves have like "3Dness", sense of space and precision.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    I ended up swapping the R200 for the R600 and happier with this setup in my room. Obviously the low end is better, and these added a touch of warmth to the midrange I was looking for.
    Interesting, what color did you get? The R600's seem like the sweet spot in the line.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.