How good is the Reserve series?

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
I’ve been out of the game for a while and haven’t heard a Polk since the LSiM series came out ages ago. I’m looking to set up a combo HT / Music system and am looking at speaker choices.

Are the Reserve models an incremental improvement on stuff like the RT lines that have the typical v shape signature and sound like a standard box speaker, or are these intended to be a successor to the LSiM line and be serious contenders for music reproduction?

How do they compare against something like the similarly priced Q series from KEF? How well do they play at lower sound volumes?

I know my question is a bit vague, I’m just trying to get a sense of where the Reserve series sits in the grand scheme of things.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    the Reserve and Legend series are some of the best speakers Polk has made in a long, long time
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    are these intended to be a successor to the LSiM line
    No, the Legend series is the successor. The Reserve series are a less expensive version of the Legend.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2022
    They are good and also very good values.
    Heck, even I bought a pair [of R200s]-- so that should tell you something*

_________
    * I am not exactly sure what that should tell you... but it should tell you something... :#
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Reviews of the L200
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/188179/polk-l200-speaker-demo-reviews/p1

I know Troy and others made comments on the r200, can’t find them now. But generally speaking people seem to think you get most of the l200…

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2022
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Reviews of the L200
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/188179/polk-l200-speaker-demo-reviews/p1

I know Troy and others made comments on the r200, can’t find them now. But generally speaking people seem to think you get most of the l200…

R100 was reviewed/tested by "Erin" who liked it a lot, FWIW.
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/polk_r100/

Another fellow @ ASR tested the R200 and liked it a lot, too -- again, FWIW.
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/polk-reserve-r200-spinorama-and-measurements-a-really-nice-surprise.23502/

I would say, having heard (spent a relaxed, and relaxing, afternoon listening to) the L200 and owning the R200 that dollar for dollar the latter is the better value... but I am, of course, one cheap mortar forker.

I've read good things about the bigger/'spensiver members of the L & R series (with one exception), but I have no ears-on experience on any of them.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    The reserve line is very impressive. The Legend series will get you that extra 5-7%. I am totally blown away at how good the R200's are. In the past the LSi or LSiM lines were clearly more musical than the lines below them. Not true for the Reserve and Legend.

Much of the same tech and drivers are used for both lines. With the Legend series getting a bit more refinement and cabinet build/material quality. You'll have to decide for yourself if the premium price for the Legend is worth it over the Reserve.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Very helpful responses guys, sounds like I need to find somewhere to listen to the Reserve series
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Pm me. I’ve put the R200’s up toe to toe with the L200’s, the LsiM703’s and a slew of other bookies. I had them all at the same time and gave them all a good one-on-one showdown. I had some friends over for some testing, some audiophiles and some just casual listeners, and we all agreed on the results.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    dromunds wrote: »
    Pm me. I’ve put the R200’s up toe to toe with the L200’s, the LsiM703’s and a slew of other bookies. I had them all at the same time and gave them all a good one-on-one showdown. I had some friends over for some testing, some audiophiles and some just casual listeners, and we all agreed on the results.

Did you ever post the results? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    dromunds wrote: »

Did you ever post the results? Inquiring minds want to know!

Its a secret, have to PM :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Is the tweeter height approximately the same for the Reserve/Legend 200 series? I have searched and can not find anyone mentioning what height the tweeter is at with reference to the bottom edge of the speaker. Just curious how much it differs from the LSiM 703s to get proper height speaker stands.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2022
    ^^^ innerestin' question, that.

I don't know, but I can show you two photos FWIW.
    Sorry they're not really comparable in scale or perspective. :/

L200

48952151388_66f6ff29fa_b.jpg

R200

51665522194_a5640772b2_b.jpg

I know that @F1nut was aghast at those fingerprints on the review pair of L200s :p Thanks to him, I cannot look at that photo and not see them myself. :#
    ;)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    FWIW, I think the R200 may well be the best value in speakers right now. All time, I'm going with the Maggie MMG but the R200 punches WELL above it's weight class.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I'm keeping a pair of R200s in reserve even though I don't use them. That's how good they are.

:)
  • mhardy6647
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I'm keeping a pair of R200s in reserve ...

I see what you did there...
    B)

• heiney9
    TroyD wrote: »
    FWIW, I think the R200 may well be the best value in speakers right now. All time, I'm going with the Maggie MMG but the R200 punches WELL above it's weight class.

After spending some quality time with mine after break-in. I'd agree 100%. They are really, really excellent sounding speakers and a great value. Don't let the smaller size (although large for a "bookie") fool you. The coherence top to bottom is very impressive. The quality and uncolored bass output amazes me.

Full review coming soon, still need to dedicate more time for listening.

Don, post your impressions of the L200, R200, LSiM shoot out, please.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2022
    I’m gonna give the Reserves a go. Just ordered the R200, R350,and two pair of R900 for surround back and front heights and snagged a Denon 3700H to power it all. I have a small REL T5i sub I can use.

It’s been 15 years since I’ve bought anything home theater so we’ll see how it all goes together.

Fingers crossed that the R200 work well enough for 2 channel, if so I can move my LS50 Wireless into the living room.

I’m not sure about the center but it fits my setup better so starting with it, if it lacks too much low end I’ll figure out how to make the R400 fit.

Hopefully the R900 will work as rear surrounds even though they’re height speakers, if not I’ll need to figure out how to mount some R100 back there.

This is all going in a small 12x12 room so hopefully I chose correctly on the sizes.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Should be more than enough for that size room! It's gonna sound great!
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited April 2022
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I'm keeping a pair of R200s in reserve even though I don't use them. That's how good they are.

DITTO !
    Big Dog!

I bought a pair of R200s .... 2nd hand, After the Big ProMo....
    I really don’t have any use for them, except perhaps patio speakers or the GF Crib. The reviews have been so positive I just don’t think you can go wrong
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • dromunds
    I’ve been working very long hours but I’ll get a to-the-point review of the R200’s, LSiM-703’s and the L200’s out pretty soon. I had them all at the same time and evaluated them at pretty good length toe-to-toe with various music and gear.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I hope there will be another Legend offer soon. I totally blew it by not getting the L400 center. I was so confident that I would not like anything but my1.2tl's that I almost did not give the L800 a fair shake.

The new Polks, whether Legend or Reserve, are truly worthy successors to the stuff that made Polk Audio what it was. You will be well pleased with your purchase. BTW, welcome back man, welcome back!

Now if only customer support came back around!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    Mine are freshly new and I don't really want to mess with them for awhile. But one member here has already upgraded crossover components and I can't help but think that could take these even further. It most likely would diminish the $$$ to sound value a bit.

But I think these would be ripe for better caps/resistors treatment and they would blow me away even more. I just have an aversion to modifying anything that's brand spanking new.

I'm not saying it's necessary at all, just intrigued by the idea of pushing them even further up the audio chain. They are definitely worthy.

H9
  • VR3
    Definitely do it. The mod I did on the L200 was night and day
  • heiney9
    I'll be the first to admit, I am not that good at desoldreing and soldering, etc. I don't practice enough to be very good and the smaller more delicate the pcb, the harder it is. I wonder if Polk would sell me a pair of crossovers? That way if I mucked them up I'm not SOL.

H9
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    These should be pretty easy. We opened a pair up at this year's PF before we even heard them. There aren't very many components and even a novice could upgrade them, using only the most basic of soldering skills IMO.

BTW, I don't believe I have ever told you this or not, but I love that quote by Pass in your sig. 😉

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Everything showed up today, I managed to get the R200 hooked up before we had plans. Initial impressions are very good, the only thing I currently have to compare them to are my beloved KEF LS50 Wireless and some Focal Chorus.

The bass on the Polk is definitely more present without being too lose or bloated. The KEF has better controlled bass, but both options are equally great in different ways. The Focal by comparison are lacking.

The midrange is sweeter (smoother) on the KEF, the R200 are more neutral but I prefer the warmth the KEF has there. The Focal on great recordings have the best mids of the 3 but are rough on poor recordings.

Detail retrieval and transparency is comparable between the Polk and KEF, both are a step behind what you get in the Focal series but are fine for what I need, and neither gets harsh. The Polks get right to the edge for me, but in the half hour I listened I had no issues. The Focal are VERY transparent which works for about 20% of my music, rest of the time my ears bleed.

The Polks have the widest soundstage of the three (I realize this is very room dependent), followed by the Focal and then KEF. I find all three perfectly fine in this area, none are too wide or too intimate.

The imagining on the KEF is just dumb, it’s still the best I’ve heard on any speaker under $5k or so. The Focal come in second, the Polk are no slouch and are plenty good enough for me.

The Polks have way more headroom than either other speakers, the design of the KEF means they start to fall apart at higher volumes and the Focal are just too hot in the top end to crank. The KEF are the best of the 3 at low volumes, the bass is present and you still get all that detail. The Polk like to sit at about 90 db in my room, the KEF are perfectly happy at 80.

Overall the KEF are still my favorite bookshelf, but the R200 is definitely the best Polk speaker I’ve ever heard and are certainly good enough for this room and are staying. These may not be quite as smooth as the LSiM series but they’re just a much more transparent speaker. Many speakers struggle to find the right balance of a neutral sound whilst still being enjoyable, the KEF get that right and now so do the Polks.

All my impressions are just in the Denon 3700H, a better front end will very likely help the Polk.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Give them about 150 to 200 hours...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited April 2022
    They are brand new....give them a break...

(in more than one way).

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dromunds
    The better the power the better they’ll sound.
  • heiney9
    Wait until they actually break in, many of the aspects you mentioned will improve. Not night and day, but incremental improvements that are definitely noticeable. It's been a while since I've been this jazzed about a new audio piece. It definitely lives up to the hype.

Just when I thought Polk was headed to infinite mediocrity they put out the Reserve and Legend series. The R200's are so easy to listen to and do so many things well. Granted mine are in a secondary rig so I am not quite as critical, but still critical enough that if they didn't sound right I'd move them on. So jazzed in fact, I bought new gear to pair them with....lol

H9