The Space Thread -

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    And it's likely some of our planet is made up of atoms generated inside the star that exploded:

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/are-we-really-made-of-stardust.html
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    On one of the following days 8/29, 9/2, 9/3 the rocket to the moon will lift off....

Jeepers, it sounds like all the airline schedules this summer!

;)
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    Typical rocket scheduling...last nights launch was scheduled for 7pm and ended up taking off at 10:15 pm. The nighttime launches are spectacular
  • mhardy6647
    Yeah, I do realize that -- "launch windows" and all that sort of thing. :)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    What’s the carbon footprint of those launches

More than a pasture of f a r t ing cows?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    The actual launch has none but the massive production to prepare for it is probably quite a lot
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Carbon footprint?

Is that some kind of metaphor or are scientists trying to determine the age of The Bathmat of Turin?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Time Travel to other galaxy's somewhat simply explained. B)

https://youtu.be/an0M-wcHw5A
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • NotaSuv
    audioluvr wrote: »
    The actual launch has none but the massive production to prepare for it is probably quite a lot

lol that really depends upon what fuel is being used Space X uses a loaded with carbon fuel while other companies use a zero carbon fuel...LOTS of soot emitted into upper reaches

Space rockets may not be very environmentally friendly. Space launches can have a hefty carbon footprint due to the burning of solid rocket fuels. Many rockets are, however, propelled by liquid hydrogen fuel, which produces ‘clean’ water vapor exhaust, although the production of hydrogen itself can cause significant carbon emissions.
  • NotaSuv
    9 pm tonight the 21 million pound Artemis 1 rocket rolls out of VAB and to its launch pad where it will stay until 8/29 first day of the launch window....it's quite an impressive sight to see just sitting on the pad
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Roll out is happening now! Slight weather delay. The official webcast is poor, but I found this one.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2022/08/artemis-1-launch-rollout/

jldbs0qbco4z.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • NotaSuv
    Expectations are well over 100,000 coming into the area to view the launch...we will probably be atop the roof for a good view.....last major launch it took over 3 hours for traffic to clear out....can only imagine the crowds for the next manned launch to the moon
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    Expectations are well over 100,000 coming into the area to view the launch...we will probably be atop the roof for a good view.....last major launch it took over 3 hours for traffic to clear out....can only imagine the crowds for the next manned launch to the moon

Dude I am so jealous that you get to see things like this all the time! For me, it's a bucket list item!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2022
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Imagine being able to focus in on the engraved flame of the torch on a dime from 100 miles...

The GMT primary mirrors were made at the Steward Observatory Mirror Lab in Tucson, Arizona. They are a marvel of modern engineering and glassmaking; each segment is curved to a very precise shape and polished to within a wavelength of light—approximately one-millionth of an inch...

I am pretty sure y'all know this, but the wavelength of light depends on its color (or, perhaps more accurately, the color of light is determined by its frequency) -- not really all that different than sound (bass and treble frequencies/wavelengths), although, of course, the speed of propagation is very different :) and light waves are transverse while sound waves are longitudinal.

Which is actually not why I replied to this post! :p
    Thinking about polishing glass to arbitrary levels of flatness (i.e., danged flat) can be assessed in a crude but surprisingly effective way, especially with flat pieces of glass (e.g., camera lens filters). Remember learning about rings of Newton in high school? B)

Cool stuff -- a way to visualize incredibly small differences (fractions of a wavelength of visible light). No instruments required! Just eyeballs. Sort of like selecting interconnects or speaker cables. ;)
    https://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/light/Newton's-rings.html
    You can kind of get the idea from this, although these examples are rigged in that one piece of glass is macroscopically not flat. :)

9ui71rbpypqm.png

kd1zy35g7l5a.png

nt8ooh0gisxd.png
    https://www.edmundoptics.com/knowledge-center/application-notes/optics/optical-flats/
    lambda = wavelength
    The wavelength of, say, blue light is very small. The colors we see as "blue" have wavelengths in the range of 450 to 495 nanometers (i.e., 450 to 495 billionth of a meter... don't make me convert that to inches!). that non-flatness of lambda/2 (so, ca. 225 to 247.5 nanometers) is clearly visible. :)
    You can measure extremely small deviations from perfect flatness by the appearance of the pattern when two "flats" are placed together!

I love stuff like this -- when we can see data from the extremely (!!!) microscopic world... with our own, very macroscopic point of view! :)
    Sorry -- I am a geek-nerd. B)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Relatively speaking? One-millionth of an inch variance is still not flat.

But, I digress....they are curved mirrors, after all.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • NotaSuv
    EW YORK -- If you ever dreamed of naming a planet, here is your chance.

The James Webb Space Telescope is discovering new planets outside our solar system, and now 20 planet names are up for grabs.

Here are the rules: You can't name a world after yourself or your pet, or give it a religious or military name.

The contest is open through Nov. 14.

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    edited August 2022
    Cool !

So I guess Erectus Maximus is out because of the religious or not name it after yourself restriction
    ...or both
    (in some cases 🤗).

I'll just let myself out, be back. later to apologize.🥴
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    Cool !

So I guess Erectus Maximus is out because of the religious or not name it after yourself restriction
    ...or both
    (in some cases 🤗).

I'll just let myself out, be back. later to apologize.🥴

Incontinentia Buttox Buttocks

fokmxzednqi9.png
  • mhardy6647
    ... and what is a military name?
    Sarge?

• Rear Admiral ? 🤔

Yes....I think one could do wonders with that .... 🥴🤔
    Sal Palooza
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    ^^^ Cool shot! ^^^

I have seen many shots of Jupiter before but never any like the ones MBBL linked from above. The first one is the actual shot. The second one is the shot explained. The Webb NIRCam composite images seen below are from two filters – F212N (orange) and F335M (cyan).

c62qreo4ysb7.png

7kooeeebq05r.png

Tom

The space nerd on TV this A.M. said taking a picture of Jupiter clearly is very hard because it spins so fast....
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Odd question...since Jupiter has no surface, how long is a Jupiter day considered?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    Odd question...since Jupiter has no surface, how long is a Jupiter day considered?

Tom

Tom, I was wondering the same thing.
    I didn't know that it had no surface, I had just thought that it was so inhospitable that anything we send would just get ate up before touchdown.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Tom

I didn't know that it had no surface, I had just thought that it was so inhospitable that anything we send would just get ate up before touchdown.

Kinda like my Seahawks this year. Oops, wrong thread..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Tom

Kinda like my Seahawks this year. Oops, wrong thread..

Like you're surprised! Try the Bears on for size.