The Space Thread -

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    y3ck9yj6gqo8.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    https://www.space.com/james-webb-space-telescope-alien-planet-clouds

From the article - "The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST or Webb) is already confounding expectations with a surprising new discovery: It detected evidence for clouds on an exoplanet that was thought to have completely clear skies."

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • huggies
    huggies Posts: 149
    I love this thread!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited July 2022
    https://youtu.be/1aqVbFFghEE

Sadly this is all I can contribute, lots of cool pictures great thread.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    https://youtu.be/1aqVbFFghEE

Sadly this is all I can contribute, lots of cool pictures great thread.

Fantastic!
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Nice ๐Ÿ‘

And not derailing your thread, Tom, but I couldn't help but think of this early 70's Van Halen Sammy Hagar prequel, Montrose's "Space Station #9"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aZXF7IpuVFE

Excellent thread ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Sal Palooza
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I'm sure many here have already read where a micrometeoriod (piece of space dust) damaged one of the mirrors back in May.
    oov2mgtqlj5q.png
    Apparently they expected this type of thing. https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/06/08/webb-engineered-to-endure-micrometeoroid-impacts/
    Amazing the damage that a spec of dust flying at 'extreme velocities' can do.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    jdjohn wrote: ยป

I feel like there's a sex joke here somewhere.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    ... According to estimations, on average, Webb will be hit with one micrometeorite per month, and after 10 years, only 0.1% of the primary mirror would be damaged. Webb has an anticipated lifespan of 20 years.

When we last saw Hubble at the last servicing mission in 2009, the solar arrays were peppered with impacts. Most just burn through and the cells go on producing electricity. Some result in shorts that reduce the output. There is obviously some loss due to damage to the cover glass. Early on one of the high gain antennas took a hit and looks like it has a bullet hole. I wonder what it looks like not 13 years later. Overall, she is still doing well and doing great science, though now overshadowed by JWST. However, Hubble still has a place since it handles wavelengths near IR through UV.

Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited July 2022
    jdjohn wrote: ยป

I feel like there's a sex joke here somewhere.

I dunno -- it reminds me more of the FAA shooting chickens at aircraft windshields. :#

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/aviation-chicken-cannons-guns-cmd/index.html

y2v7qssy1y2v.png

Pro tip: chickens need to be fresh, not frozen. :|

• treitz3
    Carina Nebula JWST Data
    Credit: NASA, ESA, CSA, and STScI
    Processing credit: Alexandra Nachman

olryjv7arthv.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Now, back here on Earth, let's revisit sprites again. I was talking about red sprites and offered a couple of examples of them. But have you ever heard of a gigantic blue jet? Scientists say the blue jets are 30-mile-long bolts of lightning that shoot out from the tops of a thunderstorms.

Using cameras and X-ray detectors aboard the International Space Station (ISS), scientists have discovered the origin of so-called โ€œblue jetsโ€ of lightning in our atmosphere for the first time. The scientists say the blue jetsโ€”appearing 80,000 feet above sea levelโ€”are born from โ€œblue bangsโ€ inside of thunderclouds. As for the origin of the blue bangs? Thatโ€™s still a bit of a mystery.

d7q42mei0ryt.png

They are extremely rare. Below is a bit more information about where above the Earth they are located.

xnpgcbf1ebc2.png

Here is a one in a million shot from Earth of one. This would be a gigantic blue jet.

y0a4ewemsg27.png

Tom

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Never heard of that and that is cool af
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Always been fascinated by meteorological phenomena. Especially pixies, sprites, elves, gnomes...but had never heard of the giant blue jets. That is amazing. But with all the gamma rays, I figured it would be green...and called a Banner instead. (I am very funny...my mom says so.)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Shuttle astronauts is where I first heard of them. They would talk about giant blue lightning bolts or some phenomenon coming out of the top of thunderstorms.
  • treitz3
    572wnc1mkpyo.png

Tom
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    This Thursday will see 2 launches from the Cape within hours of another.....SpaceX has already launched more rockets to date then all of last year..............
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Uhura is out there somewhere now.

2sbokdtkdqdm.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    ^^^
    wow.
    On the one hand, nice to see a scientist with a sense of humor.
    On the other hand, it says a lot about people's gullibility.
    :|

• treitz3
    gk2zx2rp4aru.png

Tom
  • treitz3
    Here is one of the latest images to come from the James Webb telescope -

u6mve1xqu4nt.png

"The latest JWST image is a wonderful view of the Cartwheel Galaxy, a composite produced by the telescopeโ€™s Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam) and Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI).

The Cartwheel Galaxy is the result of a collision between two different galaxies that took place about 400 million years ago. What remains is an inner ring and an outer ring, giving the galaxy merger the appearance of a spoked wheel. These 'spokes' are actually the remnants of the arms of the larger galaxy, which have been distorted as a result of a collision with a smaller galaxy.

The scene appears red through Webb's infrared view as a result of the glow from hydrocarbon-rich cosmic dust. Galaxy mergers are some of the most spectacular events in the cosmos and make for incredible images, as this JWST image shows.

One day our own Milky Way galaxy will collide with the neighbouring Andromeda Galaxy, resulting in an event referred to as the Andromeda-Milky Way collision. Images like this one captured by the Webb Telescope perhaps give us an insight into the fate of our own galaxy's future."

The above came from this article that has more photos (most of which have already appeared on this thread) - https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/space-missions/james-webb-space-telescope-images/

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    ^^^ marvelous.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    On one of the following days 8/29, 9/2, 9/3 the rocket to the moon will lift off. It will be one of most powerful rockets to ever lift off from KSC. It is expected to bring over 100,000 into the area to watch, can only imagine what the first manned launch to the moon will bring to the area
  • treitz3
    edited August 2022
    c1zebckggxxb.png

๐’๐ ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ” ๐’๐ฎ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐ง๐จ๐ฏ๐š ๐‘๐ž๐ฆ๐ง๐š๐ง๐ญ
    A new star, likely the brightest supernova in recorded human history, lit up planet Earth's sky in the year 1006 AD. The expanding debris cloud from the stellar explosion, found in the southerly constellation of Lupus, still puts on a cosmic light show across the electromagnetic spectrum. In fact, this composite view includes X-ray data in blue from the Chandra Observatory, optical data in yellowish hues, and radio image data in red.

Now known as the SN 1006 supernova remnant, the debris cloud appears to be about 60 light-years across and is understood to represent the remains of a white dwarf star.

Part of a binary star system, the compact white dwarf gradually captured material from its companion star. The buildup in mass finally triggered a thermonuclear explosion that destroyed the dwarf star.

Because the distance to the supernova remnant is about 7,000 light-years, that explosion actually happened 7,000 years before the light reached Earth in 1006. Shockwaves in the remnant accelerate particles to extreme energies and are thought to be a source of the mysterious cosmic rays.

Image Credit: NASA, ESA, Zolt Levay (STScI)

Tom
  • HOLY.......COW ,!! What an image !

The yellowish/white "streak" from about the 2 o'clock position ccw to the 11 o'clock position:
    I think that is from optical data but regardless of the data dource: what is it ? ๐Ÿค”
    It would seem to be lightyear(s)
    in length. ?

Sal Palooza