Best kit or product to clean stylus

Options
Looking for the best way to clean my stylus?

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Onzow zerodust is what I use.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,110
    Options
    0jov0l1dng7v.jpg

I really can't speak to what is "best". I use an Onzow most of the time. It's a sticky clear pad you Iower the stylus into, it grabs the dirt. I do have a "stylus" brush and some liquid cleaner.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    Options
    Onzow here too but cleaning the stylus doesn’t need to be done too often if every LP played is cleaned well.

Disconnect the table from everything including power and interconnects before using the Onzow and use very little pressure on the stylus.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,115
    Options
    I still use a Discwasher SC-1 and a drop of (vintage) DIII fluid.
    But... I am a Luddite. :#

I will mention, in passing, and gingerly, and with some trepidation, that, years ago, it was "discovered" that the Onzow goop* was "the same" (??) as some sort of drum "dampening" (damping) gel stuff that's, apparently, cheap in music stores
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/drum-dampening-gels-same-as-onzow-zerodust.761981/

I am thinking that the goo used to make those toys that you throw against the wall and they sort of rappel down of their own accord has been touted as "the same stuff" as Onzow Zerodust.

There's also some "controversy" as to downsides to Onzow Zerodust leaving residue -- but I have no hands-on experience to corroborate that. :|

Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Onzow here too but cleaning the stylus doesn’t need to be done too often if every LP played is cleaned well.

Disconnect the table from everything including power and interconnects before using the Onzow and use very little pressure on the stylus.

That seems excessive, but can't hurt. FWIW, I'll drop the stylus on the Onzow with the cue lever, turntable input selected and volume wherever it was. The small thump created has never caused problems for me.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,460
    Options
    Reach toothbrush and Colgate toothpaste. Then throw the whole cart in the dishwasher. Comes out squeaky clean!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,864
    Options
    Blu Tack or the like works amazingly well. I have blob on a nickel, which I place on the platter and lower the tonearm/cart down onto so the needle just makes contact for a second or so. Done.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    ^^^ I did not know (until this thread) that folks were using Blu-Tack for stylus cleaning!

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,526
    Options
    And it’s so expensive.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2022
    Options
    It's like these things. One may buy these with audiohile brand names stamped on them for much more money, if one has absolutely nothing better to do with one's money. ;)

https://www.diversitech.com/en-US/category/pads/anti-vibration-(av)-pads-A02

kunj9dw668uo.png

149d1qbqfdbl.png

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »

FWIW, I'll drop the stylus on the Onzow with the cue lever, turntable input selected and volume wherever it was. The small thump created has never caused problems for me.

You know when the stylus is perfectly cleaned when you have the same dB from each channel. :)

I like the Onzow. When the blob looks like a teenagers forehead, you just clean the blob.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Emlyn
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    That seems excessive, but can't hurt. FWIW, I'll drop the stylus on the Onzow with the cue lever, turntable input selected and volume wherever it was. The small thump created has never caused problems for me.

In my case many years ago I had the whole system turned off when I used the Onzow with an SL1200 MK II table and when I powered the system up again afterwards there was a BIG static spike that ran through the whole system. Fortunately no damage. It may have been related to a grounding problem but I didn't want to experience that again. I only use the Onzow very rarely, like maybe once a year, since I don't use a turntable all that much and my LPs are all squeaky clean. I have also heard about the recent controversy regarding build-up from gel type cleaners when they're used on a stylus right after it's been in use so the temp of the diamond is up.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    ^^^ that's weird. Was it wintertime/ very low humidity?
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Yes, wintertime in a house that had a heat pump for heat and carpet on the floor so it was bone dry in the house.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,979
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    It's like these things. One may buy these with audiohile brand names stamped on them for much more money, if one has absolutely nothing better to do with one's money. ;)

I hear you! I have a bunch of those AV pads with the blue center section. Shortly after purchasing I wondered if anybody could compare them to the pads that cost $$$, I could not since I never invested in the expensive ones. All I was seeking was an opinion if the "audiophile grade" ones were indeed looking into, instead I was labeled as looking for validation on what I have.....sheez.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,528
    Options
    I liked your post Bob. Do you feel validated?
    I disabled signatures.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,979
    Options
    No, but I feel kinda cheap B)
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    Another satisfied Onzow user here.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    Blue tack stylus cleaner
    Trying blu tack as we speak.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    you can lower the stylus into a magic eraser as well......I have an onzow as well but the ME works too.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 676
    Options
    I don't remember if it was here or another forum that someone demonstrated how to clean the stylus with a small piece of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser by using the cue lever to lower and lift the arm. They used high magnification photos to show the effective results. I have been using this method ever since.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2022
    Options
    that (the Magic Eraser thing) was a craze for a while.
    It -- largely -- went the way of most crazes.
    Plus, there are at least a couple of caveats.

1) there're horror stories of various bad things happening to unwitting ME stylus cleaning 'audiophiles', although probably not with a lot of statistical assessment ;)
    2) capitalism and marketing being what they are, there have been various new and improved ME variants, and (of course) also generic versions and pure-D knockoffs (ripoffs). Many of these fall into the "internet horror story" camp, as well, if they are employed as stylus cleaners.

Caveat emptor.

... and, yeah, I've been known to dunk the DL-103's stylus into a little cube o' ME now and again.
    I could quit any time, though. Really.
    I'm not hooked.

;)

EDIT:

PS Not all of us use arms with cue levers. B) Some of us are manly men. :#
    The other way to ME involves a toothpick to bring the ME to the stylus, rather than vice versa.

:)

35922052846_5754f23c53_b.jpg
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,018
    Options
    The best way to avoid a dirty stylus is by having very clean records. But, I routinely use a fairly loose-bristle dry brush before every play. After 4 or 5 sides, I normally give the stylus an inspection with a jeweler's loupe to make sure the brush is doing its job. If I see any lingering debris, I use the Audio Technica AT607a liquid cleaner and brush. That's probably every 10 records or so.

For a really nasty rescue-project stylus, I use 90+% isopropyl alcohol with one of those stiff, short-bristle brushes, and have been known to baptize the diamond tip in the ISA if the gunk is really stubborn. On a couple of occasions, I've even used a small strip of sandpaper on the back edge of the stylus to remove...whatever that stuff was.

@mhardy6647 mentioned the controversy about Onzow Zerodust leaving residue. It started last year after WAM Engineering (WallyTools) started noticing a pattern with specimens coming in for their stylus 'analysis' service. Fremer wrote a story about here https://www.analogplanet.com/content/time-put-away-onzow-zerodust and then a follow-up here https://www.analogplanet.com/content/zerodust-saga-continues It became a rather polarizing issue.

Here's a somewhat measured video about the issue https://youtu.be/KdBEIH7KJgw

I have no dog in the hunt, nor any personal experience with the product. YMMV
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,638
    Options
    TL:DR - what was the end result of the Onzow controversy?
  • msg
    edited August 2022
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    that (the Magic Eraser thing) was a craze for a while.
    It -- largely -- went the way of most crazes.
    Plus, there are at least a couple of caveats.

1) there're horror stories of various bad things happening to unwitting ME stylus cleaning 'audiophiles', although probably not with a lot of statistical assessment ;)
    I remember when Bruce was on a tear picking up gear, and was getting a turntable setup going when the Magic Eraser thing was going around here. His description of accidentally ripping off a stylus in a nanosecond with a ME had me dying laughing. Still makes me laugh imagining his expression of disbelief and dismay at the realization and slow acceptance of what'd just happened. That was one of my favorite stories. Like a great dark comedy. Good ole Bruce.

Now watch, I'll likely snag my stylus in the next week...
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Too long? Dude, those articles are very short, and mostly pictures. No real resolution...just lots of bickering and people challenging the findings. The visual evidence is pretty compelling IMO. The product is still made and sold, so nothing has really changed.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    @jdjohn

After seeing the articles, I would have to agree the evidence is compelling; wouldn’t recommend it any longer.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,638
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Too long? Dude, those articles are very short, and mostly pictures. No real resolution...just lots of bickering and people challenging the findings. The visual evidence is pretty compelling IMO. The product is still made and sold, so nothing has really changed.

I read the articles when they were originally posted, the TL:DR was mostly just a joke expression. I was simply wondering what ever came of it and if a finite decision was reached on whether or not they are save/advisable to use.
  • msg
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I don't like the TL;DR term, I think it's rude in a response, but I took Drew's use of it with his statement to mean more, yeah, so what was the general consensus in the end? I was wondering the same, generally. I've been meaning to follow up on it, myself. It sounds like interesting reading.

I'm gonna try BlueTac, but first I'd like to take a look with a loupe.

I've been using the Onzow primarily, and have sometimes used a stylus brush.

Jody, did you say you've used 99% ISO on the brush?
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I figured Drew was "mostly" joking, but I gotta give it right back to him :p Honestly, I had to look-up what TL;DR meant. Best I can tell, there was no definitive conclusion on the Onzow. The originators of the claims didn't want to keep bashing the product, and Onzow never retorted. I think people just need to do their own research, and decide for themselves...as with most things :)

Scott, yes, I have used 99% ISA on a brush, and also 91%. But, that is only for extreme cases. There's a genuine concern about using a strong solvent like that on the adhesive which holds the diamond onto the cantilever, so it is a last resort. I actually need to reconsider using the AT607a, since it is made of ethyl alcohol and deionized water. I really try to limit how often I apply it.

I go back to having clean records as the best defense against a dirty stylus. A dry brush is the safest way to clean a stylus, so getting the interface to a point where that's all that's needed is the goal. Having debris in the grooves acts as an abrasive, which is not good for any of the parts involved.

It's kind of like those touch-less car washes. They are only effective for cars that are fairly clean already, with a good finish. Likewise, you wouldn't want to go through a car wash that uses the typical big brushes if there's a lot of mud or debris on the car. The dirt would act like an abrasive when the brushes get on it.

I think the car washing analogy can even be taken a step further when compared to cleaning records. You wouldn't just suds-up a car, suspending the dirt in the suds, and then let it dry. You do a rinse cycle. Same thing with records. Record cleaning solutions normally include a surfactant/detergent, which allows the dirt to be suspended in the solution, jarred-loose from the grooves by either a brush or ultrasonic vibration. A clean-water rinse is then needed in order to fully remove the debris.

And if the car (or record) is REALLY dirty, you want to do a pre-cleaning of some sort before doing any actual scrubbing. I guess with U/S cleaning that might not be necessary, since (in theory) the extra debris should sink to the bottom of the tank without any scrubbing involved.