b5te70lqhmx1.png

I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,692
    Options
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options

Kill spiders if you must, but we warned: We're all humanary stew if we don't pledge allegiance to the Black Widow.
    Please don't touch the display, little boy. Oh-ho-ho... cute.

Moving to the next aisle, we have Arachnida, the spiders, our finest collection. This friendly, little fellow is the Heptithilidae, unfortunately harmless. Next to him... the nasty Lycosa Raptoria. His tiny fangs cause creeping ulcerations of the skin.

And here... my prize, The Black Widow. Isn't she lovely? And so deadly. Her kiss is fifteen times as poisonous as that of the rattlesnake. You see, her venom is highly neuro-toxic. Which is to say that it attacks the central nervous system; causing intense pain, profuse sweating, difficulty in breathing, loss of conciousness, violent convulsions, and, finally... uh, death. You know, what I think I love the most about her is her in-born need to dominate, posess. In fact, immediately after the consummation of her marriage to the smaller and weaker male of the specie, she kills and eats him. Oo-hoo, she is delicious! (And I hope he was.)

If I may put forward a slice of personal phylosophy, I feel that Man has ruled this world as a stumbling, demented child-king long enough! And as his empire crumbles, my precious Black Widow shall rise as his most fitting successor!

https://youtu.be/KBKp2Yo_CGE
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Maybe it's one of those subwoofer bed bugs.

AFAIK bed bugs can’t survive in a subwoofer, due to the large 🕷

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited August 2022
    Options
    geez it's only a friggin spider

Note to self, don't invite any polkies to go to the ranch ;)

You guys act like it's Baba Yaga

https://youtu.be/PSBy8Mqh118
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    I've seen spiders in Texas that were large enough to shoot.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited August 2022
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I've seen spiders in Texas that were large enough to shoot.

How do they hold the gun?

p46x9r8ukbkl.gif

(sorry -- sometimes I just can't help myself...)
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Late in the day two Saturdays ago, I stuck my left hand in a work glove in the garage, and was bitten by a probable spider that I didn't see.

Shortly thereafter, I noticed severe itching, swelling, and red skin at a point on my wrist. Next, I noticed all of the hairs on the back of my hand felt like lightning was going through them and were being pulled inside the skin. All of them!

I took a couple of Benadryl tablets and decided to go to a new close-by hospital emergency clinic. I was given a strong steroid ointment prescription to apply which I could not obtain so late in the day. Picked the prescription on Sunday. It took 3-5 days for the itching, swelling, and some pain which ran up my arm beyond the elbow to go away.

I assume it was a brown recluse after several people told me about bites that they had suffered.

On Monday after the bite, I called the clinic as asked to let them know my condition. I told them the bite had worsened on Saturday night and Sunday. I told the clinic personnel that I didn't think the bite was taken seriously enough, and maybe some type of injection would have been best. My comments were documented.

I mentioned all details to warn anyone bitten to be aware of the danger of the spiders and treatment.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    geez it's only a friggin spider

Note to self, don't invite any polkies to go to the ranch ;)

You guys act like it's Baba Yaga

https://youtu.be/PSBy8Mqh118

It's not the spiders in Texas that are the problem. It's the friggin' grasshoppers and locust that get to be the size of a baseball with hooks for feet and if they happen to land on you, those hooks feel like needles digging in to you skin. They don't even bite, they're just dumb and fly in to you and they hurt when they do that!

If that's what the spiders have to eat no wonder they are so big!

Then again, I've had Texans come up here and encounter one of our wolf spiders or fishing spiders. The fishing spiders I've seen as big as a 4 inch leg span and I've had wolf spiders as big as a 6 inch leg span in the garage eating toads.

This is a medium sized wolf spider:

ynwmabagwldm.jpg

The real problem with NJ is the southern half of the state's climate is warm enough that we'll get brown recluses but, additionally, we have two types of black widow spider to look out for.

5zr6f4ymnd5h.jpg

The Black Widows will run from you long before they try to bite you. But I have had females with an egg ball trying to run away turnaround and raise their legs and front at me. Brown recluse are just jerks and they hide more often than anything. Thankfully most don't survive the winters here. You'll see them curled up in a ball in the spring in your wood pile, often with a dead egg ball nearby.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    yikes. I had something similar happen once after working in the garage. started off as what I thought was a mosquito bite or an ingrown hair on the back of my thumb, which would have been odd.

I think it was a weekend, and over the course of a couple of days, the swelling increased and the area started getting hot. It looked like I had a small white ulcer on my thumb. Then, I could feel a tightening of my hand when flexing my fingers or making it fist. My fingers and hand were swelling. I went to the doctor the next day or two and they gave me something, can't remember specifically. I think it might have been a short course steroid, probably with instructions to take benadryl.

Another time, we were out riding bikes on the trails, and I rode under a low branch and felt a sharp stinging kind of feeling on the top of my head. The whole right side of my head and face swelled up. Never knew what it was, but it was probably a spider bite or a wasp sting. I've had a wasp sting on the chin area before, though. It didn't swell the whole side of my head.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    ksvaucbx2nzp.png
    I remember in those old cowboy movies and TV shows when they'd call a guy 'yellow-bellied', but 'yellow sac' takes it to a whole 'nother level.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    I don't know Jody but the rabid Wolf spider worries me....How do I explain I got rabies from a spider?
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    You arachnid lovers can't say that Ziggy didn't try to warn you. 🕷️

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5utC_KI_SKo
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Re: rabid wolf spider. I think it's just a name. Maybe it was Rabbi Wolf Spider, and it just got corrupted somewhere along the line.
    oy vey!

B)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    House backs up to some woods. We have wolf spiders, big ones. So much fun to be had refusing to kill them when Arachnophobic wife spots one...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Juvenile Desert Recluse for the win... My kids play in the yard, so I guess I will be needing to get the yard treated, as my boys will play with anything that moves...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Sounds interesting & not so friendly.
    EDIT: Of course, kids are proportionately more at risk because they're smaller (volumetrically). What might be unpleasant for an adult could be fatal for a small child or a housepet. :(

I remember spiders were pretty endemic in the Bay Area when we lived there. Webs everywhere.