Any bug experts know what this is?

Options
Saw it in my back yard today near the kids...

5ednjwvlqy4d.jpeg
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    Maybe it's one of those subwoofer bed bugs.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,620
    Options
    It appears to be a spider, so you should smoosh it.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,492
    Options
    Try to use one of the kids as bait to lure it back over for a closer look, and see if it's got a violin strapped to its back. If so, it's one of the Traveling Brown Reclusive Musician spiders.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    It's not a brown recluse if that's what you are concerned about.

It looks like it's either one of the many different grass spiders or one of the many different funnel weaver spiders. The picture is too blurry to be sure.

Both can have an owie for a bite but are way, way more likely to run and hide instead. You'd literally have to be trying to hold one in your hands for either one to bite.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,078
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It appears to be a spider, so you should smoosh it.

https://youtu.be/Vgx7abJH6uI

It looks like a smooshable one (like Boris)... unlike the ones that even give me the heebie-jeebies.

52097181167_161fc49814_b.jpg
    49856485207_f152b1f609_b.jpg

@nooshinjohn it's not a brown recluse, so I probably wouldn't fret too much about it, FWIW.

gzrmdq1d4maq.png
    3bcbq42bvnxm.png
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    All spiders are venomous, AFAIK, but most are more of a nuisance than a threat when it comes to humans.
    Plus -- as I remind Mrs. H every time she tries to get me to off one: spiders are our friends.
    They eat all kinds of not-so-good-to-have-around bugs. :)
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Kill all spiders as soon as you see them, if at all possible.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Plus -- as I remind Mrs. H every time she tries to get me to off one: spiders are our friends.
    They eat all kinds of not-so-good-to-have-around bugs. :)

This is an urban legend perpetuated by the pro-spider lobbyists and other special interests bought and paid for by spiders.

Do not listen to or believe this bold faced lie. Spiders are NOT our friends.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Kill all spiders as soon as you see them, if at all possible.

Spiders ARE our friends.

B)
  • Clipdat
    Options
  • Clipdat
    Options
    iv5sdzjq10ji.png

Hey boys, we got a spider lover among us! GET HIM!!
    riot-south-park.gif

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    I do not know him and can tell I would not like him.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,122
    Options
    The cephalothorax was brown in color, while the abdomen was reddish in color, and seemed to be dominated by chelicera that were much bigger than normal for it's size. Until I squashed it, it was not really any bigger than a common ant, except for the legs.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Well, all's I can say is... when our Spider Overlords come to take over... I'd run if I were youse guyses.
    B)

uzft2nenns24.png
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,390
    Options
    This thread makes me hungry.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2022
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    This thread makes me hungry.

Tom

Yer killin' me here! You and that @SeleniumFalcon guy should start an act, or somethin'! :D
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2692438#Comment_2692438

EDIT: hmm, maybe @hermitism could do something with head photos of you two and a picture of Tommy and Dickie... you know, for your show posters.

qzvw2wct079t.png

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,623
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Well, all's I can say is... when our Spider Overlords come to take over... I'd run if I were youse guyses.
    B)

uzft2nenns24.png

I gots me a tall black can of Raid kills bugs dead...... I'm not scared!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,007
    Options
    Found this brown recluse in one of our bathroom sinks...not cool, so it had to die. Sorry, not sorry.
    zzfb57o45tr6.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Oh, I concur. They're... problematic.
    One's gotta do what one's gotta do.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Dang. I did not see @Hermitism nor @Jstas's early (and on point, albeit in different ways) replies when I posted my first respose to this Hall-of-Fame-worthy thread!

Honest. I don't have either of them on ignore. Or even @msg -- I saw his early reply, as the record will show. :p
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,007
    edited August 2022
    Options

msg wrote: »
    Brown Recluse spiders are as smart as crows. They remember, and they communicate. They can pass on memories from generation to generation. I'm afraid they'll be coming for you tonight, Jody. In your sleep. Probably crawl up your right nostril and lay eggs in your sinuses.

Can I have your records and turntable stuff?

Scott, that particular specimen ceased communicating moments after the picture B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Those wolf spiders are way kool! I had one I found in a cooler at work I was cleaning. Kept it as a pet for six years and then let him go. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    r18r088m6n56.jpeg
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ^^^ stealin' that.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,005
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    r18r088m6n56.jpeg

Dang... even spider's are LGPTHQYZ++++ now. Pretty soon it'll be spider pride month. Oh boy!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,390
    Options
    How dare you assume it's identity and pronouns? Now it's gonna be all bugged out just thinkin' about it!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,480
    Options
    This one is kinda creepyhvrx08a2sipj.jpg
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    Options
    Kill it
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk