1.2 to 1.2TL

Options
Bought what I thought were SDA SRS based on the serials then figured I’d just stick with them and recap the crossovers. So I get everything ready to go and pull out the crossovers and they are 1.2s

I’m sure this has probably been discussed a million times and I’ve spent the last few hours and finding only posts with dead links.

The informal I’m looking for is what size cap to install and where to install it so I can upgrade the tweeters to the RDO 198s. Speakers are in really good shape and I still need to recap the crossovers but want to do this all at once. I pulled both crossovers and all the caps to my amazement test in tolerance to their values although I know from lurking there are better routes to go. I’d love to just get my hands on a pair of 1.2TL crossovers but lots of searching to find nothing as the boards in the 1.2s are pitifully small that’s going to make for a PITA to update the caps and add the cap (5.7uF?) across which ever resistor it is.

I was actually surprised I nabbed what I thought were SDA SRS. Serial stickers have SDA SRS with a 4 digit serial but the crossovers are the BE2000B and the mids are as they should be as well. All the fabric is intact and wood is beautiful after a good rubdown with lemon oil. The only thing that separated them from looking new is the rust that had formed on the speaker screw that was easy enough to take care of. Just yanked half of them and used a product called Metal Blast rust bullet. Just put a little in a jar and started pulling screws. Left them in about 15 minutes and shakes the jar for a few minutes then dumped the solution and did several rinses wires hot water and left them to dry. This stuff is unreal! Back to bare metal! Poked them in a piece of card board and painted the heads so they are nice and spiffy.

The circumstances of the sale were a bit saddening. The guy selling them was doing so for the widow of his friend. He passed and the guy knows nothing about audio and had them listed way too high as in $4K!! Sent him an offer and he responds with $3900 Sent him a message after that to check what they have been selling for. Got the pair for what I offered, $1500 and got him to take it off fleabay and let’s do this in cash. You don’t get banged with the fees and I don’t get banged with sales tax. Win for everyone. No cable so I bought one of the fleabay made cables and actually ended up with the two flats and had to buy another with flat and round. He actually has another pair of them he never listed so if anyone is looking I can help you out with this guy. Has a bunch of the old gear too like some Harmon Kardon Citation and an amp I didn’t bother looking hard at because I already have all this stuff. These are an addition to already new all legends. L800s, L400, L600s, L200s and these are going to be either front stage or rears. From my listening position having these powered along with the L800s that are currently in the front position it’s just an envelope of SDA goodness! Also used as HT.

If anyone can give me some guidance on either sourcing 1.2TL complete crossovers or adding the caps and changing the tweeters it would be awesome and appreciated. If not I’ll likely just go either the RDO 194s even though all the SL2000s are working. Just want that last bit of clarity of the RDO 198s or settling for the drop in method of the RDO 194s.

Thanks and look forward to more adventures here!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,815
    Options
    I'm going to burst your bubble. You cannot make the 1.2 into the 1.2TL without changing the values of most of the inductors, caps and resistors. Not to mention reconfiguring some of the circuits.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JustinThyme
    Options
    Not bursting at all. That still leaves two options. Settling for the RDO 194s or finding 1.2TL crossovers. I’ve seen someone post in here somewhere but can’t find it about adding a cap across a resistor to run the RDO 198 tweeters. All the drivers between the two except the tweeters are identical. Crossovers can be made from scratch but time consuming. I’ve reviewed both drawings. I’m not all that thrilled with the small packed 1.2 crossover board. I’d just as soon source 1.2TL crossovers complete. If I have to build them then so be it and if it comes to that then I’m just looking to what I need to do to add the RDO 198 tweeters while that project gets started.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I’m just looking to what I need to do to add the RDO 198 tweeters while that project gets started.

There's nothing to look for, it can't be done by simply adding a cap and resistor for that model.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Hmmm... Hybridized 1.2's. It'd be like gene therapy for your SDA's, without the back-door eugenics codons.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,933
    edited June 2022
    Options
    If you could source a set of gimpod’s boards (no longer available) I would say go for upgrading them to 1.2tl’s, you would have a lot more room to perform the transition.
    You could source the inductors, resistors, and caps to pull it off, and as Jesse said reconfiguring some of the circuitry, that is all in the tweeter wiring.

I may even have an extra set of new inductors, except the 16mh inductors, I would have to dig deep in my closet.

The better route to go is asking VR3 if he would build you a set of crossovers for 1.2tl’s he may even build you new wiring harnesses, buy the RD-0198’s, Plug and play. Of course this will be the more expensive way to go, but the right way IMO..

On a side note, you could just refresh the caps, and resistors, get the RD-0194’s and be happy, it’s not like they are going to suck..

How about some pics?
    Post edited by Toolfan66 on
  • JustinThyme
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    If you could source a set of gimpod’s boards (no longer available) I would say go for upgrading them to 1.2tl’s, you would have a lot more room to perform the transition.
    You could source the inductors, resistors, and caps to pull it off, and as Jesse said reconfiguring some of the circuitry, that is all in the tweeter wiring.

I may even have an extra set of new inductors, except the 16mh inductors, I would have to dig deep in my closet.

The better route to go is asking VR3 if he would build you a set of crossovers for 1.2tl’s he may even build you new wiring harnesses, buy the RD-0198’s, Plug and play. Of course this will be the more expensive way to go, but the right way IMO..

On a side note, you could just refresh the caps, and resistors, get the RD-0194’s and be happy, it’s not like they are going to suck..

How about some pics?

Thanks for not treating the new guy like he is an idiot and actually providing some useful information.

Yeah I’ve run across a lot of reference to gimpod boards but as you said, not available. I’m actually an electronics engineer, just different discipline. I’m fully capable of making the boards if I have to. Crossovers are pretty simplistic. Part of my work involves similar RC and LC networks but as traps for harmonics to dissipate them as heat in the chokes. Crossovers aren’t much different in the operation in that they are more of a filtering network to block frequencies outside of a given range. Some designs are better than others.

This journey started some time ago with the search. I already have a pair of L800s that work great and a more refined crossover network than the Vintage series. They are also a lot smaller at 48 inches tall but still weigh in at 120lbs, two 10 inch subs, two turbine mids and two pinnacle tweeters. The biggest difference with them is the 15 degree offset in the mids and tweeter direction. Both sound great, the Vintage just a a more powerful presentation as they should. Hears a photo of when I brought them in. About a 2 hour drive to go get them and that’s been most of my problem. It’s not that they are never available, just never available within a reasonable distance. I offered a guy in CA to buy the speakers and have a freight company come and crate them up professionally and send them to me but he refused as most do.

Look how small that L800 looks in the back ground!

I’m not opposed to spending $$. Anyone who is serious in the hobby knows that anything worth having doesn’t come cheap. I may hit up @VR3 about building them for me. Not that I’m not capable just very busy with work at 70-80 hours a week in financial data centers, I do platform engineering for critical power aka UPS battery back up systems but not the little babies people are accustomed to sitting under their desks. While we make the babies my specialty is in the monsters that are 1.6MW to 6.4MW yes that’s million watts and not a typo. A few more and a flux capacitor and will be ready for time travel!!

flzqg51d1bv1.jpeg

• JustinThyme
    Options
    c6gdd2bcn0y2.jpeg
    A little more head on while working on them and placement. The only thing that is too old is my back. Like I said in the first post I’m not sure which pair I’ll end up where. The L800s positioning has to be fairly precise to get the SDA sweet spot there the 1.2s are a bit more forgiving.
  • JustinThyme
    JustinThyme Posts: 9
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Untouched OEM crossover
    The largest choke is mounted to the center plate and the board is mounted to the choke with plastic standoffs.

For the rookies who don’t get it a choke is a specific type of inductor as there are many kinds. Everything used in a crossover is a choke. Some are there to smooth current and some are part of the tuned LC and RC networks and some yet to simply filter noise.

ckezmm23rty3.jpeg

• JustinThyme
    JustinThyme Posts: 9
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I think I’m just going to take the update of these as are instead of chasing a pipe dream trying to find TL crossovers or the PITA of making them myself. They sound good as is and I’m sure replacing the tweeters with the RD 0194s along with updating the crossovers with new components will do them justice. I can’t logically see chasing the final version of the 1.2 TLs. I’ve been chasing trying to find a decent pair for sale anywhere remotely close for a couple of years now. One venture was a wasted trip with deceptive photos. Cabinets were split on the tops and bottoms as well as foams on subs toast and all the fabric was shot. The guy said he couldn’t audition them for me because he had nothing to drive them. Guess he didn’t count on me showing up with a source and 600WPC 5 channel amp that I use to Bi-amp having 1200W on tap. I didn’t even bother connecting anything. That was a wasted 10 hours round trip.

Hell I’m just elated I got a nice pair of well cared for 1.2s that I thought were original SRS based on the serial stickers. They scream SRS but all components were the last year of the 1.2s I think. All marked 1988. The only blemishes we’re the screws that has been taken care of and when I opened up the right channel the brace between the sub and crossover had let go in the front. Gorilla glue and clamps for a couple of hours and problem solved. The only thing that got hurt was my pride when I had to pack these puppies in the house. I had help loading them but coming out and no matter which direction I go I have to get up steps. Garage entry is two steps where front door is 3. I thought my right **** went in my left sock but never found it! Heaviest of everything but my salamander cabinet that’s 300lbs empty but built solid as a rock. Aluminum skeleton with all solid cherry panels.

All components to rebuild crossovers already ordered and a full array of tweeters will be ordered if I can get them from Polk all that much better but they are available elsewhere. I’ve seen them listed for $63 from one source. Anyone know what the going rate for the RD 0194s through Polk are going for? Either way that’s about $500 give or take for tweeters. Bill for caps and resistors was just under $200.
    z8imu257yihn.jpeg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,598
    Options
    SRS first gen had a Blade/blade interconnect socket, 1.2 and 1.2tl had a pin/blade. usually that is a dead give away as to first SRS or later versions. SDA/SRS cannot be used with anything but a common ground amp, 1.2 and 1.2tl had a special interconnect that allowed a non-common ground amp to be used.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Another one bites the dust.

President of Club Polk

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,176
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    1.2 and 1.2tl had a pin/blade...that is a dead give away
    100% fact.

SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    I can’t logically see chasing the final version of the 1.2 TLs. I’ve been chasing trying to find a decent pair for sale anywhere remotely close for a couple of years now.

I diligently and successfully searched for a decent pair of 1.2TLs for seven years. The chase was well worth it...as were all the modification$$$$.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    Who will be the first one to fully mod a 1.2tl with the most recent tweaks that a few people have gotten tremendous results from ;) ?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    Most recent? What have I missed?
  • F1nut
    Options

Nothing

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,106
    Options
    Who will be the first one to fully mod a 1.2tl with the most recent tweaks that a few people have gotten tremendous results from ;) ?
    Are flux capacitors finally back in stock?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options

I guess I was mostly referring to @xschop phase plug mod. I can't get over what a difference it made and I have gotten rave reviews from audio buddies who have familiarized themselves somewhat with how my system sounded prior.

8 page thread started over 2 years ago:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190301/phase-plug-design-for-mw65xx/p1

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    I read the entire phase plug thread. Fascinating.