Polk SDA SRS 1.2 interconnect cable

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the group... so I managed to find myself a pair of 1.2s but it didn't come with the interconnect cable I am in the process of getting one made my question is what size is the "blade pin" I need to use..?

Appreciate your help,

Cheers !!

Best Answer

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Answer ✓
    Options
    On the pin/blade series all SDA information rides on the pin only.
    That you can use a RCA that you remove (grind off) the ground petals and just use the pin part. The problem is you cannot use larger than 16-14 gauge cable.

The blade part of the cable is only used for a common ground for say mono blocs or non-common ground amplifiers. Inside the blade part goes directly to your negative speaker binding post.
    There's a better connection most of us have went to. It is however much more involved to accomplish.

Answers

• Diasz44
    Diasz44 Posts: 2
    Options
    Mate, thanks for your input much appreciated !!
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited July 2022
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    On the pin/blade series all SDA information rides on the pin only.
    That you can use a RCA that you remove (grind off) the ground petals and just use the pin part. The problem is you cannot use larger than 16-14 gauge cable.

The blade part of the cable is only used for a common ground for say mono blocs or non-common ground amplifiers. Inside the blade part goes directly to your negative speaker binding post.
    There's a better connection most of us have went to. It is however much more involved to accomplish.

Fixed for you.
    The blade part of the cable is not used on a pin/Blade cable, do NOT use it with mono blocs or non-common ground amplifiers as you can hurt the amp/s and or speakers.
    If your using mono blocs or a non-common ground amplifier you'll need to get or build a AI-1 Dreadnought.
    Here's a link The AI-1 Dreadnought Project.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,034
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I do all of my builds with the negative connected to the blade, as it shows in the schematic, no issues. With or without dreadnought, obviously taking into consideration amplifiers topology
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I do all of my builds with the negative connected to the blade, as it shows in the schematic, no issues. With or without dreadnought, obviously taking into consideration amplifiers topology

That's the way it is supposed to be. However, a regular SDA pin/blade cable should only connect pin to pin. The blade to blade connection is only used with the AI-1 or Dreadnought.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Options
    m6jcqsfxaotr.jpg
    The schematic for a pin blade clearly shows the blade connecting to ground
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    Technically it is redundant either way as a common ground amplifier is completing the signal regardless
  • F1nut
    Options
    Trey, I'm talking about the SDA cable.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Options
    I gotcha, it still shouldn't make a difference either way but I understand what you are saying. You would only need a ground in a sda cable if you are using a dreadnought
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    @pitdogg2 Your welcome.
    F1nut wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »
    That's the way it is supposed to be. However, a regular SDA pin/blade cable should only connect pin to pin. The blade to blade connection is only used with the AI-1 or Dreadnought.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Trey, I'm talking about the SDA cable.
    Jesse, Thanks for making my point.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • AndyM23456
    Options
    So, if I read these posts right, some say only the pin carries the SDA data, and some say the blade brings the ground, but only one or the other is necessary. I also read that you need the pin and the blade in place between the cabinets.

So, who’s correct and why if they built them to work this way, are some saying that either connector is not necessary.

I’m linking two GFA-565’s to a pair of 1.2tl’s and I know that the negative terminals will be jumpered, just as the chassis will connect to each other independent of the audio output terminals. And my cables will carry that common ground to the left and right cabinet.

So….back to the interface cable. Why hack it up? Seems like it should add to bringing out the SDA effects. Maybe I haven’t yet caught on to a trick?

Please do tell.

Thanks,
    Andy
  • F1nut
    Options
    In the standard SDA cable only the pin carries a signal. The blade is for support. In the optional AI-1 SDA cable both the pin and blade carry a signal.

President of Club Polk