The Space Thread -

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited June 2022
    Tony M wrote: »
    I still think when we look through a powerful telescope, we're seeing WHAT IS THERE AT THAT MOMENT.
    Just a belief I have personally.

Does a photon of light travel "forever" in a straight line? Light can be bent by the gravitational force of another object (such as a black hole)

Why are stars seen as pinpoint spots of light? Distance determines the size of the pinpoint and none of them are close other than our own sun.
    Shouldn't the star's light be spread out in all directions making the light diffused? If space was as filthy dirty as the air in downtown LA, yes, but it's not. For the most part

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Those questions touch on what's known as the "Night Sky Paradox" :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olbers'_paradox

It's actually pretty fundamental to current thinking on the expanding nature of the universe. :)
    As to what photons do, they will travel forever at the speed of light (in whatever medium they're traveling through) until and unless something happens to them. Stuff happens to photons all the time. B)

The inviolable nature of c (the speed of light "in a vacuum") leads to some interesting effects all by itself. The speed of light is an upper limit, but it depends on the medium through which light passes (which is also true of the speed of sound... but I digress). The speed of light in a vacuum is different than the speed of light through glass, or water.
    One very real consequence of this is the blue light seen in water tanks in certain nuclear reactors. This
    glow is called Cherenkov Radiation and is a direct result of what happens when something traveling "at the speed of light" in one medium crosses a transition into another medium in which the
    speed of light is lower.
    Something's gotta give! And something does -- the excess velocity 'bleeds off' in the form of energy -- in the case of Cherenkov Radiation, in the form of "blue light" photons.
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/chemistry/cherenkov-radiation

Can't make his stuff up! ;)

ix9zb7ytz7q7.jpg

89s76u7bxlph.png
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Tony M wrote: »
    I still think when we look through a powerful telescope, we're seeing WHAT IS THERE AT THAT MOMENT.

We are. However, 'THAT MOMENT' occurred at some point in our past.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    Viewed from the perspective of a light beam/photon particle, there is no time.
    Has to be that way, because the speed of light is an "inviolable" constant. For example, suppose you were on a train going 75% of the speed of light in one direction. Another train moving at 75% of the speed of light passes you going the other direction. What's the speed of the other train from your observation point? 150% of the speed of light, right? Wrong-o-rama, since it can't be. :#

No problem -- as long as the rate of time passage decreases with increasing velocity.
    At the speed of light, "It's always five o'clock" is absolutely true, not just "somewhere". ;)

This effect (time moving slower as the speed of light is approached), known as time dilation, was nicely explained by astrophysicist Dr. Brian May, albeit in his side hustle. B)

https://youtu.be/kE8kGMfXaFU
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    treitz3 wrote: »
    For those that are interested....Mark your calendar for June 24th @4:20am. For the first time in 100 years, you may get a glimpse of the unusual sky occurrence on that morning when all five planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn) and the moon will be visibly lined up simultaneously.

https://www.chaosmosnews.net/2022/06/05/dont-miss-rare-alignments-of-5-planets-for-first-time-in-100-years/?fbclid=IwAR3j1VjGwjsHxdZHgfsHVu1DP6cQV17M5UmZJXvsKmszga5tay747uZ6vZ4

So, the very day I posted about ^^^this^^^, apparently NASA took a shot of the aligned planets from Chile.

8gle8q4o3y1j.png

The planet Mercury has wandered about as far from the Sun as it ever gets in planet Earth's sky. Near the eastern horizon just before sunrise it stands over distant Andes mountain peaks in this predawn snapshot from the valley of Rio Hurtado in Chile.

June's other morning planets are arrayed above it, as all the naked-eye planets of the Solar System stretch in a line along the ecliptic in the single wide-field view. Tilted toward the north, the Solar System's ecliptic plane arcs steeply through southern hemisphere skies. Northern hemisphere early morning risers will see the lineup of planets along the ecliptic at a shallower angle tilting toward the south. From both hemispheres June's beautiful morning planetary display finds the visible planets in order of their increasing distance from the Sun.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Here is another thing that fascinates me. Aurora Vortex's. These are sometimes visualized by lightning type flashes (although I have personally never seen any video to support this...).

n2yrpsvg22mi.png

Even cooler, is what can happen ABOVE them.....check this out....

35qnaunhehp5.png

Please note that this image above may be copyrighted, so I must disclose that the image and all information comes from this source >>> https://newsrnd.com/news/2021-03-05- ---space-hurricane-discovered-over-magnetic-north-pole--vortex-causes-solar-particles-to-rain --.rJoMp1l7_.html
    In contrast to the terrestrial hurricane, the space storm did not arise in the air, but in the plasma of the ionosphere, which is composed of ionized gas. Electromagnetic parts of the solar wind rotated in a circle. The vortex was driven by the earth's magnetic field. After about eight hours over the North Pole, the vortex collapsed.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Here is a unique shot of the Elephant's Trunk nebula....2,400 light years away.

611acfcm8q3j.png

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    To believe we are the only life form in this giant soup would be very naive.
    Great stuff!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited June 2022
    Here is a unique shot of the Elephant's Trunk nebula....2,400 light years away.

611acfcm8q3j.png

Tom

Should be renamed the slimer nebula in honor of the ghost busters character. Actually it kinda looks like a diamond eyed bunny
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    Here's another date that we should be keeping an eye on. July 12, 2022 - NASA is scheduled to release the first images taken by the James Webb Space Telescope. Testing and calibration has been completed, target camera temps have been achieved (minus 449°F – just 11°F above absolute zero) and the first images look to be very promising.

https://theconversation.com/the-james-webb-space-telescope-is-finally-ready-to-do-science-and-its-seeing-the-universe-more-clearly-than-even-its-own-engineers-hoped-for-184989?fbclid=IwAR2C60Wqb6SmCnOQ1PuqDq5IRSpWVgzBXGW16YToTel76I6zc1My_RDtbBk

The MIRI camera, image on the right (below), allows astronomers to see through dust clouds with incredible sharpness compared with previous telescopes like the the Spitzer Space Telescope, which produced the image on the left.

f9glpl07zxfx.png

The Webb will be able to detect galaxies completely hidden by dust and undetectable by telescopes like Hubble. Exciting times! I don't know about you but I can't wait for the first images to start rolling in.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Milky Way over the twisted rock formations of the Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness, White Pocket, Arizona.

ug831m0xtyrb.png

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Beautiful stuff
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Astronomers Have Captured the Most Detailed Image Yet of a Monster Galaxy 12.4 Billion Light Years Away.

https://news.leladanang.com/2022/06/18/astronomers-have-captured-the-most-detailed-image-yet-of-a-monster-galaxy-12-4-billion-light-years-away/?fbclid=IwAR34NjFfRklcbdyc5jJSHRLVrncIZVBM6hIxQKDEfHWm369RLpiXFDkIMaY

048shehqhslz.png

The previous captures we had...

sya7gj0cu06b.png
    This ‘monster galaxy’ is approximately 12 billion light-years from Earth and generates new stars 1,000 times faster than our own Milky Way galaxy. Scientists used Chile’s $1.5 billion ALMA Observatory to capture views of the galaxy with a resolution ten times higher than any previous attempt, dubbed ‘COSMOS-AzTEC-1.’

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Like going from atari to Xbox x
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Earth, as seen from Saturn...

tu0lec60hnn3.png

Tom
  • treitz3
    Courtesy of the Hubble space telescope, the Butterfly Nebula.

cprdf59iiyaj.png

Tom
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Is absolute zero cold enough?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Anybody know how to tow this? Asteroid worth up to $700 quintillion mapped in highest resolution yet.

jow5kme9cqmx.png

The 16 Psyche asteroid is scheduled to be visited by a NASA probe that will launch later in 2022. The spacecraft will visit the asteroid belt occupying the region between Mars and Jupiter, comprising remnants from the solar system's formation. One such remnant is the 16 Psyche asteroid, thought to be the core of an ancient planet, which contains a large number of valuable metals.

https://news.mit.edu/2022/asteroid-psyche-maps-metal-0615

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    There's at least 3 Ford Edsel's in that thing....
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Looks like aliens used it for target practice.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    Anybody know how to tow this? Asteroid worth up to $700 quintillion mapped in highest resolution yet.

jow5kme9cqmx.png

The 16 Psyche asteroid is scheduled to be visited by a NASA probe that will launch later in 2022. The spacecraft will visit the asteroid belt occupying the region between Mars and Jupiter, comprising remnants from the solar system's formation. One such remnant is the 16 Psyche asteroid, thought to be the core of an ancient planet, which contains a large number of valuable metals.

https://news.mit.edu/2022/asteroid-psyche-maps-metal-0615

Tom

Psychedelic, man.

:#

• treitz3
    For some reason, out of all of the incredible space photos, that photo has got to be either my all time favorite or at the very least, one of the top 5. This is one of those pictures that got lost in the vast abyss of the picture thread. Thanks man!

Tom
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited June 2022
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    From NASA - Eye of Sauron or dust ring formed around the young star Fomalhaut approx. 1.4 billion miles wide! The black circle in the center giving the image resemblance of an eye is a light block that allows the reflected light to be photographed.

c38p9l2octxx.png

Tom
  • treitz3
    c43e0qbt2cgu.png

Our own moon. Without the moon, we would have far less (if any) tectonic plate shift, tides would go to a highly argued 50% height to 75% drop in height, we wouldn't have any seasons due to no stabilization of Earth tilt (basically, we would simply wobble erratically), over time within our days would be altered (we used to have 4 hour days billions of years ago) and the loss of the "flexing" of the Earth could cause some rather strange and unknown effects with earthquake and volcanic activity.

It is thought that without the moon? We wouldn't be here right now. None of us.

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Great post Tom!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mhardy6647
    52173920463_8d331777c3_b.jpg

Nothin' special -- but I was out photographing lightning bugs again last night. The night sky was fairly pretty (given that it's early summer), so I snapped a few photos.