The Space Thread -

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,230
Hey all, over the years I have added some really cool photos that were all taken from space and they are all mixed in somewhere, deep, deep in the abyss of the Post a Picture thread.

Some new photos of Jupiter came out today and instead of them getting lost in the abyss? I decided that we will actually have a dedicated thread for nothing but articles, photos and some of the really cool stuff that Space has to offer.

https://www.chaosmosnews.net/2021/12/29/nasas-1-billion-jupiter-probe-just-sent-back-stunning-new-photos-of-jupiter/?fbclid=IwAR09Hr6WlPwtICDzXBV2A343H47nRPSLRQrOcD4cY-2NbrNavpLBqVqoUqg

ssfcth8aae0i.png

Click onto the link for more photos...

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Looks like an angry planet. Very cool pictures.
  • treitz3
    Here are some of the other recent ones posted in the other thread....

The Nile River taken from the ISS.
    kbe0j9mrs31r.png

The Horsehead Nebula.
    o6bai8gsiqbn.png

71973mceswb6.png

The Sombrero galaxy m104. This galaxy is challenging to shoot and process, this image took 48hrs of exposure time total, and the final result blew me away. This might be the most detailed image of the galaxy captured from the northern hemisphere by an amateur. I should mention btw this image uses zero noise reduction or AI processing (excluding color noise reduction), it is just good quality data. This galaxy is 30 million light years away in the constellation Virgo. This was captured of course from SRO, with several nights of sub-arcsecond seeing.
    w5dbwf1j0x10.png

9v15z4801b0f.png

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Looks like an angry planet. Very cool pictures.

I thought that Bob Ross encouraged us to make all of our planets happy little planets.
    :#
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Except for Mars, right?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    These pictures are amazing.

Of course they are all cgi and the earth is flat 😝
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    VR3 wrote: »
    These pictures are amazing.

Of course they are all cgi and the earth is flat 😝

Yep; and cables don't make a difference either :D

• treitz3
    Andromeda Galaxy.

zt21wap1gidb.png

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    So, these are excellent and I don't want to pollute this thread (well, at least not too much!) -- but I am a pretty down-to-earth guy, so I get my space from the ground up.

50028082597_b91c90dcc4_b.jpg

50135737901_8dffffed42_b.jpg

50141439372_7b895ec401_b.jpg

48621004898_c8b3c2c00a_b.jpg

26369084961_cfbe39df55_b.jpg
    The streak of light in the image above is the ISS passing overhead.

28318640663_9dde2ca4b9_b.jpg
    Hmm... maybe I should start a gofundme page to buy myself a motorized equatorial mount ;)
    On the bright side B) a picture like this does show 1) that the earth does turn on an axis and 2) the stars really are different colors!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    NASA pictures are in black and white, I never looked into how they add color.
  • mhardy6647
    They may use spectral data on the light emitting objects in their images... or they might take multiple monochrome exposures through R, B, and G filters. The results can be used to regenerate a true color image. IIRC, the early Mars landers used that latter approach.
    I do know on the Viking landers, they had a color wheel in at least some of the photographs. Since they knew exactly the colors on the wheel, they could recalibrate photographs from Mars to true color.
    That said, I also remember -- vividly! -- the first color photos from the Martian surface, showing a beautiful blue sky. "They" walked that back pretty quickly and re-released images with the soon-to-be familiar russet/salmon sky color. :#
    Not that I am suspicious of any funny business goin' on at the time... B)

aztzd4442qeo.png
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2981558/Forget-dress-colour-MARS-people-say-planet-blue-green-pink-red.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/color-controversies-started-mars-not-thedress-n314601
  • treitz3
    M8 - The Lagoon Nebula. 4,077 light years away, yet discovered back in the 1600's.

sbdf7qocl7ez.png

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    treitz3 wrote: »
    M8 - The Lagoon Nebula. 4,077 light years away, yet discovered back in the 1600's.

sbdf7qocl7ez.png

Tom

They had a hell of a magnifying glass..
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited June 2022
    He's a great, GREAT Photographer. ;)

Outstanding compositions!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I will pass along the appreciation. He was a photojournalist before he became an attorney. He is really good at composition.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    Those are, indeed, great images.
    I love that kind of stuff.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Amazing pics in this thread
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    edited June 2022
    For those that are interested....Mark your calendar for June 24th @4:20am. For the first time in 100 years, you may get a glimpse of the unusual sky occurrence on that morning when all five planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn) and the moon will be visibly lined up simultaneously.

https://www.chaosmosnews.net/2022/06/05/dont-miss-rare-alignments-of-5-planets-for-first-time-in-100-years/?fbclid=IwAR3j1VjGwjsHxdZHgfsHVu1DP6cQV17M5UmZJXvsKmszga5tay747uZ6vZ4

Also, a most interesting article about something I thought impossible - It was written/announced on December 28, 2021.....thought that this would be bigger news. This is the first I have heard of this. Looks like we need to re-write some textbooks now....

https://www.chaosmosnews.net/2021/12/28/nasa-saw-something-come-out-of-a-black-hole-for-the-first-time-ever/

vjkhx6nq2386.png

[EDIT:] This comes straight from NASA on Oct 27, 2015 - https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nustar/black-hole-has-major-flare

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    😳😳😳😳

VERY interesting

Did I mention VERY

The more we know, the more we don't know.
    Sal Palooza
  • treitz3
    Comet Neowise captured over Salt Lake City, Utah.

7xs66cvui8so.png

Tom
  • Tony M
    Viking64 wrote: »

A guy who bought some stereo stuff from me mailed me this CD and another one. He saw that I was listening to relaxation music for my neck pain. It was pretty cool of him to do that.

I fell asleep to this CD more times than I can remember. ;)
  • treitz3
    This one is an interesting one. It's commonly referred to as the "Fighting Dragons of Ara". The colors may not be what you see in other captures because it completely depends on how many hours each of Hydrogen Alpha, Sulphur II and Oxygen III gases are exposed through dedicated filters.

NGC 6188 is a star forming nebula, and is sculpted by the massive, young stars that have recently formed there – some are only a few million years old. This spark of formation was probably caused when the last batch of stars went supernova. About 4K light years away.

5rzlvhabeqo6.png

Tom
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    My feeble brain hurts when I try to comprehend that by the time the light from some of these stars reaches us, they will no longer be there.

Or that the stars we see in tonight's sky are already long gone. Hnngghhhhhh.
  • Tony M
    I still think when we look through a powerful telescope, we're seeing WHAT IS THERE AT THAT MOMENT.
    Just a belief I have personally.

Does a photon of light travel "forever" in a straight line?

Why are stars seen as pinpoint spots of light?
    Shouldn't the star's light be spread out in all directions making the light diffused?