Analog radio

First, what is better for indoor fm radio antenna 50/75/ 300 ohm
I hear that 300 ohm improve sound quality, the 300 OHM FM antenna

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    You can get a balun to go from 75 ohm to 300 ohm and decide for yourself.

It really all depends on what you tuner is set up for. Older tuners were only 300ohm later they had both inputs.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
    edited April 2022
    It's going to depend upon what antenna you're using. The idea is to match the antenna's impedance (at radio frequencies) with the FM tuner's input stage. For example if it is a simple FM antenna that came with classic receivers then that is a 300 ohm impedance antenna which would be connected to the 300 ohm antenna connection on the receiver. If, on the other hand, it was an outdoor FM antenna most owners would use a 300 to 75 ohm converter on the antenna and 75 ohm coaxial cable to the tuner and connect to the 75 ohm input on the receiver.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Not sure if the input on any particular FM tuner "front end" is natively 75 ohm or 300 ohm.
    Every added impedance matching device (i.e., 'balun' = balanced/unbalanced transformer) causes loss of signal. The less 'connections' of any sort, the better (at least in theory). :)

a priori it's not really likely to make a big difference, though.
    a prioriI like 75 ohm unbalanced for noise rejection, but I have used both, with various flavors of indoor & outdoor antennae :p

Antennae are interesting things: there's science, art, and magic involved in the design and implementation of an antenna. :)
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
    And don't forget the "skin effect"!
  • mhardy6647
    And don't forget the "skin effect"!

Ve don't forget ze skin effekt!

yh88ybndknsy.png

;)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Antennae are interesting things: there's science, art, and magic involved in the design and implementation of an antenna. :)

fixed it fer ya

• Hello guys, I am interested in learning about electronics because of my passion. As of now, I am studying matric at Okara school, but I plan on becoming an electrical engineer in the future. That's why I am here for learning about it.
  • mhardy6647
    henryroy57 wrote: »
    Hello guys, I am interested in learning about electronics because of my passion. As of now, I am studying matric at Okara school, but I plan on becoming an electrical engineer in the future. That's why I am here for learning about it.

If you're not a bot or spammer -- howdy & welcome.
    I dont' know what matric or Okara are. You may find other/better sites for "learning about EE", though.
  • henryroy57
    henryroy57 Posts: 2
    Hello guys, I am interested in learning about electronics because of my passion. As of now, I am studying matric at Okara school, but I plan on becoming an electrical engineer in the future. That's why I am here for learning about it.

It's ok I solved my problem but thanks for the reply.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    You never discussed any problem.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

If you're not a bot or spammer -- howdy & welcome.
    I dont' know what matric or Okara are. You may find other/better sites for "learning about EE", though.

Not sure what matric is either...but fried okara with shicken and mash taters is the bomb...just sayin'
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330

It's ok I solved my problem but thanks for the reply.

Someone's in denial.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Nightfall wrote: »
    You never discussed any problem.

That is the problem.

Glad we were able to help.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.