5 Channel Amps, need you opinion

hoosier21
hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
edited May 2002 in Electronics
I need to buy a 5ch amp, any good deals out there? Anyone have a recomendation for a Joe6pack budget? Thanks
Dodd - Battery Preamp
Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
Outlaw ICBM - crossover
Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
Post edited by hoosier21 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    I swear I see a Rotel 5ch go for under 3 franklins every couple months on ebay. I want to say I've even seen Adcom down under 5 bills.....

Considered the Marantz monoblocks?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    edited May 2002
    I have a problem with 5 mono's, I don't want 5 power cords to plug in :rolleyes: is that a lame reason or what.

The Rotel is in my sites, if you see one for 300.00 man I want it, I ususally see them around 500.00+
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    The RB-956ax and 976 have gone for 220-400, it depends on how much power you are looking for. These are actually 6ch amps (or 3 bridged), the 56 offers 40wpc rms, and I think the 76 offers 60wpc rms...

Of course that is clean, Rotel power, and with the Nad gear you have owned, we don't even need to discuss headroom...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    If you are looking for a new amp, I've heard good things about the Outlaw 5ch amp.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • hoosier21
    edited May 2002
    I was thinking of the RB-985thx that goes 500.00+
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Still not bad for the coin though....

A couple are floating on Audiogon. Did you get any bites on your 1c's yet?

Cheers,
    Russ
  • hoosier21
    edited May 2002
    I agree the RB 985 for around 500.00 is a good deal.

SDA 1C's - Got a good bite, no cash yet.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    Local bite, I hope. I'm pondering liquidating some Mint Sansui's I got from Troy (with his blessing), I sure hope they go local, what a **** to box and ship those 'big' speakers....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • hoosier21
    edited May 2002
    Luck for me I have the original boxes and packing :D

Shipping speakers is a major pain, I made a large plywood box to ship a pair of SDA 2.3's
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited May 2002
    Check out the Parasound HCA 855. Sound & Vision compared it to the Denon 5800 and were blown away by how more powerful it sound to the Denon.
  • flason
    flason Posts: 278
    edited May 2002
    I have the Parasound 2205AT and all I can say is.......WOW!
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited May 2002
    The guy is a master crate builder. The 2.3's arrived flawlessly. You should sell crate building guides to help offset the cost of your new 5ch amp. Incidentally, I'm running your speakers with a Parasound 2205AT 5ch amp runs @ 220 Per. It's like they were made for each other. They are tight, crisp and very smooth. The 118 db s/n ratio helps to really show off the SDA imaging (BIGGRIN). I also have an Adcom 5802 @ 300 per, But it pales in comparison to the Parasound. I just ordered a pair of LSI 15's and will use your speakers in a side-by-side comparison. Look for pictures of them sometime this month when I post my review.

Thanks again,

Jer
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited May 2002
    hoosier21.

Well this joe6pak bought a dennon 3802 last november. It was $900 +.

joe
  • yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited May 2002
    I too am running a Parasound 2205AT and I love it! Very solid and my RT16's RT12's and CS350LS love it with a passion. One word of advice...wire in a dedicated line for it for the best possible sound! :)