SWA500 Subwoofer Amplifier Unexplained Failure

Options
There are posts about this, but from ten years ago.

My in-wall subwoofer and its SWA500 amplifier has worked from when this house was built in 2015 until now. I noticed it was not participating. I tested the driver by injecting a powered signal to the cable normally attached to "speaker out" and sound is produced. I attached this same powered source to the "speaker in" (with the driver reattached to "speaker out") but no sound produced. Power seems to be fine, and the power LED shows either red or green (green if I flip from "auto" to "on"). The normal configuration is a single connection from "sub out" on the receiver to "LFE IN (unfiltered)". But since my "speaker in" experiment produces no sound, I am going to assume that the receiver itself is not likely at fault and that it is the SWA500 that has failed.

Has anyone here experienced this?

What is the likely failure in the unit, and is it something that the repair center is likely to be able to fix?

The apparent price for this thing is around $650 (it came as a package when I purchased the sub itself), which I will spend if I have to but would prefer not. I wonder which Polk product would be a suitable substitute, though? I am pondering a stand-alone unit that I can hide behind a chair (this option was not apparent while building the house).

I am aware that this is a fuzzy question. Just wondering if anyone has solved this cheaper than the $650 solution... or has other insight.

Thanks!

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    Options
    In wall subs usually need the associated amplifier versus an off the shelf option. They usually have equalizers and such built in
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,508
    Options
    I recommend sending an email to: Kim.Jasper@soundunited.com he can let you know the options available.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    klosset wrote: »
    There are posts about this, but from ten years ago.

My in-wall subwoofer and its SWA500 amplifier has worked from when this house was built in 2015 until now. I noticed it was not participating. I tested the driver by injecting a powered signal to the cable normally attached to "speaker out" and sound is produced. I attached this same powered source to the "speaker in" (with the driver reattached to "speaker out") but no sound produced. Power seems to be fine, and the power LED shows either red or green (green if I flip from "auto" to "on"). The normal configuration is a single connection from "sub out" on the receiver to "LFE IN (unfiltered)". But since my "speaker in" experiment produces no sound, I am going to assume that the receiver itself is not likely at fault and that it is the SWA500 that has failed.

What is the likely failure in the unit, and is it something that the repair center is likely to be able to fix?

The apparent price for this thing is around $650 (it came as a package when I purchased the sub itself), which I will spend if I have to but would prefer not. I wonder which Polk product would be a suitable substitute, though? I am pondering a stand-alone unit that I can hide behind a chair (this option was not apparent while building the house).

I am aware that this is a fuzzy question. Just wondering if anyone has solved this cheaper than the $650 solution... or has other insight.

Thanks!

If you can put it behind a chair or someone else in the room spend your $650 on something different:

1. https://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html - $780 shipped
    2. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42843 - $650 shipped
    3. https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-1000-pro-subwoofer - $600 shipped
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2022
    Options

I am aware that this is a fuzzy question. Just wondering if anyone has solved this cheaper than the $650 solution... or has other insight
    Thanks!

Take a look at this post here: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184595/swa500-amplifier-sudden-zombie-mode

The SWA500 Polk amp is a 500 watt BASH amp with built in EQ for the CSW100, CSW200 and CSW155 in-wall subs. I've tried to repair one but it was too badly burned however, some have had success the post repairing the amp and BASH amps in general.

After looking at post above, if you are inclined, open the amp up and see if there are any signs of burned components. If you have a local electronic repair tech maybe you have have it repaired for not too much money.

Another option is to just replace it with a basic 500 watt plate amp and use your receiver's bass management and/or DSP unit like a miniDSP to adjust the bass response.

https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-components/subwoofer-plate-amplifiers
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • klosset
    klosset Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks all for the helpful comments. I found a "TV Repair Shop" (which was a sole proprietorship operated by a nice, old, foreign, electronics enthusiast) that was full of vintage tube audio equipment and other cool stuff in addition to TVs. He replaced the capacitor(s) that others have mentioned on this forum and the unit is functional again. I mainly post this as a documented case of a successfully repaired SWA500.

The cost was $150 of which $30 was a non-refundable up-front charge.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Thanks all for the helpful comments. I found a "TV Repair Shop" (which was a sole proprietorship operated by a nice, old, foreign, electronics enthusiast) that was full of vintage tube audio equipment and other cool stuff in addition to TVs. He replaced the capacitor(s) that others have mentioned on this forum and the unit is functional again. I mainly post this as a documented case of a successfully repaired SWA500.

The cost was $150 of which $30 was a non-refundable up-front charge.

Glad I could help! Another amp saved from a landfill!

Now, I need to get busy repairing my own pile of old amps.

44j4i6pzdq17.jpg

The repairs never stop. I just repaired my Harmon Kardon bluetooth speaker, now I need to order batteries for my AKG wireless earbuds.

kruy5wl9ocxy.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2