WTB...Polk SRT

Anybody have a set of SRT’s they are looking to sell? Mainly interested in the subs, towers and controller...but would buy the whole set if need be. Thx

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I would strongly recommend the new Polk Legend line over the SRT at this time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    There's nothing quite like a full SRT rig at 110dB. B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    F1nut wrote: »

Truth.

While I am sure the Legend series with the Atmos modules is formidable and modern. The SRT system was pretty incredible, especially for its time. A "Legend" if you will.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    I heard the srt at Polk hq... For home theater... Not sure better exists!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    VR3 wrote: »
    I heard the srt at Polk hq... For home theater... Not sure better exists!

What were you about 13-14. Someone shared a picture of your group there, you were young little tad one.😉
  • VR3
    Yeah I was 13 I think but one doesn't forget the srt experience.

Insane sounds pressure levels.

For music it didn't do much for me then lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    The hell with the HT aspect, Dark Side Of The Moon at full tilt.....unfrickingbelieveable!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Truly great sounding speakers. I never had the chance to own them and scoring a full setup would be pretty amazing.
    If one can't find them in good shape and for sale, then the Legend series is one strong place to look for a Unique Polk experience.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Gentlemen, it is very rare that such a speaker(s) get such high praise from Polk.

Why would they not use the technology they had back then and simply reintroduce the lineup again? No R&D, no BS, no if and's or but's.

Like Nike said.....

9d2va3j4b6g8.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    We just live in a different world today. The amount of money it would cost to produce and ship such a low volume speaker like that is insane, and I don’t get the sense that Polk is swimming in cash these days.
  • treitz3
    Hey man....they finally reintroduced the SDA, no? That came with R&D....and a lot of it.

What I am saying is that they take all of the R&D from back then, apply it to a new cabinet with current finishes, wiring and a couple of small (yet effective) upgrades and call it whatever the heck they would like.

It would be the same as building and designing a new speaker but with NO (or very little) R&D costs, the same basic technology and consumers would get what is so revered/desired.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    The SRT mains today would probably cost at minimum 15 to 20k a pair.

Restarting manufacturing on a 20 year old speaker would be way more complicated than just hitting play.

I just don't think the srt would compete in that price point, especially with zero improvements or refinements
  • F1nut
    A full SRT rig was $10k back then. I'd say that would be $30k today.

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    30K in today's world? :'(

I think I'll slide out now while the gettin' was gettin' good....

Tom

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Yup. A full blown SRT experience is something everyone should experience.......for sure.

I'd love to own a set if I had the real estate to pull it off......
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    edited May 2022
    Yeah the complete system definitely 30k. I was just thinking the mains.

How about those original SDA surrounds...or better yet the mains in the front and back
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    F1nut wrote: »

AMEN! I have experienced this at the SRT King's house. Quite the experience.

The only weakness is that the build in plate amps for the integral subwoofers are junk. Most failed!
    Carl

• F1nut
    edited May 2022
    VR3 wrote: »
    Yeah the complete system definitely 30k. I was just thinking the mains.

How about those original SDA surrounds...or better yet the mains in the front and back

The full $10k set was towers front and rear, a center and two control boxes.

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited May 2022
    So for well under 30k, one could get a badass Polk/SVS/Marantz/parasound 5.2.4 setup:

4 Polk L600s = $7000
    1 Polk L400 or L600 = $1800
    4 Polk L900 height modules = $2400
    2 SVS PB-4000 pros = $4400
    Marantz SR-6015 = $2000
    Parasound halo a 52+ = $3200
    Grand total = $20,800 plus tax (no discounts, which we all know can be had and most of these items if you are patient)

I just can’t imagine that SRT system being better than this setup. For one thing, the SRT only does to 20 hz right? This would go damn near 10 hz in most rooms, and the headroom would be incredible. And with the SRT you will still need the Marantz and power, right? And you could easily get the L800s for the mains and still beat the projected SRT price…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    And if a driver fails, you can get a replacement. My trouble with the old SRT is if something bad happens, you are screwed.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    So for well under 30k, one could get a badass Polk/SVS/Marantz/parasound 5.2.4 setup:

4 Polk L600s = $7000
    Marantz SR-6015 = $2000
    Grand total = $20,800 plus tax (no discounts, which we all know can be had and most of these items if you are patient)

I just can’t imagine that SRT system being better than this setup. For one thing, the SRT only does to 20 hz right? This would go damn near 10 hz in most rooms, and the headroom would be incredible. And with the SRT you will still need the Marantz and power, right? And you could easily get the L800s for the mains and still beat the projected SRT price…

It would be interesting. The SRT had SDA. Swap out the L600's for L800's. Of course ATMOS is the newer tech over Dolby Digital 5.1' To make it fair your above system should only run in DD 5.1 to make a fairer comparison.

Would be fun to do, for sure.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

4 Polk L600s = $7000
    Marantz SR-6015 = $2000

I'm close and DSotM SACD sounds great. Took a little tweaking with the Sony Bluray

v585vd1req64.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut

4 Polk L600s = $7000
    Marantz SR-6015 = $2000

Rated at 16Hz with an SPL of 120dB at 30Hz and a maximum overall SPL of 125dB. It is truly kickass.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    I can tell you that there is no replacement for displacement when it comes to effortless reproduction of sound.
  • rooftop59
    Oh no doubt I would love to hear a full SRT setup in all its glory! Just saying it’s very unlikely it would sell at 30k..
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

4 Polk L600s = $7000
    Marantz SR-6015 = $2000

I'm close and DSotM SACD sounds great. Took a little tweaking with the Sony Bluray

v585vd1req64.jpg

Man that setup looks killer! When am I coming over lol?!?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2022
    Well, back in the mid 90's I don't think anyone expected the SRT to sell much at 10K......I'm just saying, for surround/HT.....the SRT demo at HQ Polk was the best I've ever heard. Hands down, bar none. I've never heard bass reproduction like that. Ever.

As has been alluded to though......replacement parts, particularly the controllers are made of unobtanium.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    I'm selling
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • nooshinjohn
    ESavinon wrote: »
    I'm selling

From whoarder to seller... can I call bs on that? :po:)

• VR3
    What??