New Reserve R200 dense line on pinnacle tweeter diaphragm

wslee
wslee Posts: 3
edited May 2022 in Speakers
Just got a pair of new Reserve R200 speakers last night, upon unpacked the 1st speaker from the packaging, I immediate noticed that there was a shallow dent line across the whole tweeter diaphragm. The packing box look new and didn't show any sign or repacking. My 1st thought was the production defect.
However, when I unpacked the 2nd speaker, the same shallow dent line also appeared on the tweeter diaphragm, but shallower . The dent line look like a folded line, very shallow, but visible under light. The overall shape of the diaphragm look ok and sound ok.
Since it appeared in both speakers, is this is normal or something that I need to sent them back to the shop? Will the shallow dent line affect the sound quality and performance? Thanks!!
Post edited by wslee on

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    so -- first and foremost, I don't know! :#

I can share a photo of one of mine, plus an enlargement (screenshot, so kind of low-res) of the tweeter. I don't see any line or crease, FWIW. Do you?

51665522194_a5640772b2_b.jpg

gj56qx2b8upv.png

Perhaps you can post a photo of one of your tweeters for comparison?

Also: Did you see this thread?
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/196474/dead-tweeters-on-one-month-old-r700s

There may be some bad Reserve series tweeters "in the field" (???).
    At any rate, in that thread, the OP's R700 tweeters look quite distorted.

8s820pp6rimx.png

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The ring radiator has a fabric cover with a coil, wiring, and what looks like a heat dissipation device beneath the fabric. There is what looks like a wire that runs across beneath the fabric covering that could be perceived as a line. These things are visible when shining a bright LED flashlight into the tweeters. The fabric on mine isn’t perfectly smooth all around but nor is it dented.

I would recommend breaking in the R200s for quite a few hours without blasting them loud until they are broken in.
  • wslee
    edited May 2022
    Thanks mhardy6647 ! The R700 tweeter scared me! Hope mine will not develop to this. Yours look ok from the photos. I try to take a photo last night but can't see the dent line clearly. I will try again with some lighting this evening. Thanks again!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Dense? Do you mean dent?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wslee
    edited May 2022
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The ring radiator has a fabric cover with a coil, wiring, and what looks like a heat dissipation device beneath the fabric. There is what looks like a wire that runs across beneath the fabric covering that could be perceived as a line. These things are visible when shining a bright LED flashlight into the tweeters. The fabric on mine isn’t perfectly smooth all around but nor is it dented.

I would recommend breaking in the R200s for quite a few hours without blasting them loud until they are broken in.

Thank Emlyn! Ya, mine appear like your description, under light I can see the imperfection of the diaphragm fabric, it wasn't dent like the R700 photo, but the imperfection show like a very shallow, lightly folded line across the tweeter (in line form) both side of the pinnacle. It might be just the wire that run under the fabric that fool my eye under the light, will check it out again this evening. Thanks!