CD Player Recommendation

Options
Went full digital and then unearthed my CD collection. Looking for a decent CD player, new or used for less than 300-400$. Recommendations?
2Ch Tube Audio Convert

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    NEW:

• Cambridge Audio AXC35 CD Player
    • NAD C 538 Compact Disc Player

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    If you want modern amenities another option is something like Cambridge CXN V2 and just rip all your CDs to FLAC, EZPZ no more disc swapping
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options

• Yamaha CD-S303
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • vader540is
    Options
    If you can find one used.

oppo bdp-103
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    My son recently bought an Onkyo C-7030 and is super happy with it...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • sparky14
    sparky14 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hey, I did that too. After a few years of all digital, I happened upon a 90s JVC CD player at a thrift shop for $10. Unfortunately, that got me back into physical discs. The old JVC looks, works, and sounds great. I highly doubt anything new would be significantly better.

Somewhere along the line, I noticed I had 50 or so HDCDs, and a dozen SACDs, and a few DVD-As. So back to the thrift stores and ebay bargain hunting I went. So now I have...
    JVC XL-Z431 for standard CDs.
    Marantz DV6400 for SACDs and DVD-A.
    Toshiba SD-9200 for HDCD and DVD-A.

Polk R200 SpeakersSchiit Saga S & AegirCr*pload of old disc players for my old CDs.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    sparky14 wrote: »
    Hey, I did that too. After a few years of all digital, I happened upon a 90s JVC CD player at a thrift shop for $10. Unfortunately, that got me back into physical discs. The old JVC looks, works, and sounds great. I highly doubt anything new would be significantly better.

Somewhere along the line, I noticed I had 50 or so HDCDs, and a dozen SACDs, and a few DVD-As. So back to the thrift stores and ebay bargain hunting I went. So now I have...
    JVC XL-Z431 for standard CDs.
    Marantz DV6400 for SACDs and DVD-A.
    Toshiba SD-9200 for HDCD and DVD-A.

The sound quality can get a LOT better, but glad you are happy…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    A helluva lot better!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    That Toshiba SD-9200 is an excellent CD player as long as it works. Was an easy fix if one developed the transport vibration.
  • rooftop59
    edited May 2022
    Options
    That JVC has a one bit DAC…now if your just using it as a transport to an external DAC, it might be okay. If your using the internal DAC you are missing out brother…
    Emlyn wrote: »
    That Toshiba SD-9200 is an excellent CD player as long as it works. Was an easy fix if one developed the transport vibration.

Sam thing with this one…probably a better transport, but the DAC is still light years behind.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • sparky14
    Options
    Wow, lots of audio snobs! Thanks for pooping on my players. I thought I liked them all, but I'll go throw them in the trash.

And yes, I also use Monoprice cables. There, lobbed it up for you, go for the slam.
    Polk R200 SpeakersSchiit Saga S & AegirCr*pload of old disc players for my old CDs.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Wow, lots of audio snobs! Thanks for pooping on my players. I thought I liked them all, but I'll go throw them in the trash.

And yes, I also use Monoprice cables. There, lobbed it up for you, go for the slam.

No **** man, you just said that you doubt anything would sound better than the JVC…this is an audio forum after all. What else else did you come her for other than discussion of audio?!?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • sparky14
    Options
    No problem, you got me. I've also got a Nobsound Tube amp coming. Slam away!
  • F1nut
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Stick around, we'll educate you on how to get better sound if that is of interest to you.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sparky14
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Stick around, we'll educate you on how to get better sound if that is of interest to you.

Thanks, that is why I am here. I still like my 3 players that cost me a combined $85.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options

Thanks, that is why I am here. I still like my 3 players that cost me a combined $85.

My advice: Take your wallet and don’t ever come to this forum again.

Just kidding…sort of.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • F1nut
    Options

It's fine that you like them, but stating you doubt a newer CDP could sound better when you haven't heard any isn't helping your position.

No one cares how little or how much your gear cost.

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    @sparky14 where are you located? get out and listen to as much audio gear as you can. see if there is a group of guys into audio that get together for meets.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • sparky14
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    @sparky14 where are you located? get out and listen to as much audio gear as you can. see if there is a group of guys into audio that get together for meets.

Thanks marvda1, I've been really into this in the past. 25 years ago back in Kansas I had the dedicated audio room with Martin-Logan/Rotel/Luxman. But I moved to California, and you don't quite get the space here that you get in Kansas. I do still go to the LA Audio show every few years, it is a blast to see and hear the megabuck equipment in action.

But now my audio space is my work desk, and the Reserve R200 serve quite well there. But I am an old guy now, and while I can hear difference between a $10k system and a $1k system, MacArthur Park still sucks on both of them. It takes proper positioning and room treatment for me to really notice the details, and I don't choose to put that much effort into audio. Nor do I deride the people that do want to invest more, as I have been there and it is a fun ride when you hear what a good system can really do.

Yes, I know there is much better equipment than what I have. But in my setup, I am not going to hear those differences, or they are not going to be significant enough that I would care. But I can still enjoy what I have.
  • sparky14
    Options

Hey Emlyn, my SD-9200 does have a slight vibration issue for the first 15-20 seconds. Happens to about 1 of 5 discs. Goes away quick and can't be heard when the music starts. Still, I'd like to fix that. Do you know where I can find info on that easy fix?
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »

Thanks marvda1, I've been really into this in the past. 25 years ago back in Kansas I had the dedicated audio room with Martin-Logan/Rotel/Luxman. But I moved to California, and you don't quite get the space here that you get in Kansas. I do still go to the LA Audio show every few years, it is a blast to see and hear the megabuck equipment in action.

But now my audio space is my work desk, and the Reserve R200 serve quite well there. But I am an old guy now, and while I can hear difference between a $10k system and a $1k system, MacArthur Park still sucks on both of them. It takes proper positioning and room treatment for me to really notice the details, and I don't choose to put that much effort into audio. Nor do I deride the people that do want to invest more, as I have been there and it is a fun ride when you hear what a good system can really do.

Yes, I know there is much better equipment than what I have. But in my setup, I am not going to hear those differences, or they are not going to be significant enough that I would care. But I can still enjoy what I have.

I understand where you're coming from as I wear hearing aids. I'm 71and I wondered if I should spend the money on nicer audio gear when I came back to this forum as I spent many years away. Mainly in the car audio forum.

I can tell you I can hear the difference in upgraded audio gear, maybe not as much as some of the younger people here with much better hearing. However it's worth it to me, but if it's not to you I understand.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • sparky14
    Options
    Sorry to the OP as this seemed to veer off to a discussion of my players. I'll repost your question and hopefully get some discussion focused there.

Looking for a decent CD player, new or used for less than 300-400$. Recommendations?

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,076
    Options
    Here is one for you that was just reduced by $100: Price is $500 + $38 shipping.

Marantz CD6007 audiophile cd player Highly Rated Superb Quality
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649856783-marantz-cd6007-audiophile-cd-player-highly-rated-superb-quality/

bt8jok11bd1t.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options

Hey Emlyn, my SD-9200 does have a slight vibration issue for the first 15-20 seconds. Happens to about 1 of 5 discs. Goes away quick and can't be heard when the music starts. Still, I'd like to fix that. Do you know where I can find info on that easy fix?

The problem with these was the rubber dampers failed on the transport mechanism. Recommend searching on Google for “SD-9200 fix” but I don’t know if the repair kits are still available.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    My son recently bought an Onkyo C-7030 and is super happy with it...

My C-7030 has been a reliable workhouse for over 4 years now.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • sparky14
    Options
    Thanks @Emlyn, it does look like that damper kit availability is long gone. Hopefully my SD-9200 continues with just a small rumble for a bit, it is amazing otherwise. I'll use it until it dies.