Taylo Reference Monitors For Sale!

13»

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Well these speakers have found their way to my house…looks like they have some history here! Brief first impressions are detail and soundstage and bass, oh my! More to come…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    The taylo series is phenominal.

Those speakers with quality crossover parts are pretty much as good as it gets for resolution
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rooftop59
    VR3 wrote: »
    The taylo series is phenominal.

Those speakers with quality crossover parts are pretty much as good as it gets for resolution

You still do crossover work Trey? (wait that came out wrong🤣). What would you recommend for these? I have never soldered before but might give it a shot this summer… but I might just pay someone else to do it…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • VR3
    Just replace the hovland cap with a clarity cmr and any electrolytic to the csa and you should be good.

Those cheap eagle resistors he used sounded really good, they were a green mox style . If there are any mills resistors I would go to path audio or duelund which have far more transparency.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I use Path Audio in mine and the end result as to what hits your ears can be simply sublime.

Congratulations, Paul! Those are some really nice speakers. Added note: they really do respond well to x-over upgrades and are definitely some revealing speakers. You gonna have some FUN with these!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited May 2022
    Are these still available? Open to trades?
  • rooftop59
    Just replace the hovland cap with a clarity cmr and any electrolytic to the csa and you should be good.

Those cheap eagle resistors he used sounded really good, they were a green mox style . If there are any mills resistors I would go to path audio or duelund which have far more transparency.

I literally don't know what any of these words mean lol...after the semester is over I will crack them open, take a pic, and post it here.
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I use Path Audio in mine and the end result as to what hits your ears can be simply sublime.

Congratulations, Paul! Those are some really nice speakers. Added note: they really do respond well to x-over upgrades and are definitely some revealing speakers. You gonna have some FUN with these!

Tom

Thanks Tom! I first must convince the better half that they can stay. They are, unfortunately, taller and shallower than the Usher's, which make them stand out more. I may have to refinish them as well if they are allowed to remain in the abode...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • treitz3
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I literally don't know what any of these words mean lol...

Eh, at one point in time, neither did he (or I). Now, we just spew it out like it's nothing. It may sound like French now, but in time, you will be able to read what he posted and fly through it (and understand it without even putting the thinking cap on) like it's just common talking conversation.

It's like those tube guru's. They all speak French to me because all I give at rat's posterior about is the end result as to what hits these ears....they all be talking like, go-getter, long plate, gastrojejunal, nasogastric, pentode, triode, blah, blah, blah......just give me a recommendation of what will work for my application and I'll let my ears decide. With that said, I am learning their "French" but I know I have a long way to go.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Those speaks came from me, and I intended to upgrade the crossovers but it never happened. My initial research indicated that he may have used Bennic caps rather than Hovland in that pair. Either way, I intended to pop a driver to check but again it didn’t happen. They deserve crossover upgrades, whether Bennic or Havland. I am a fan of Clarity Cap, as mentioned above.
  • VR3
    He only used hovland in the tweeter network.

The midbass was usually electrolytic with solen here and there
  • treitz3
    Now, Trey.....you know that he used different designs within the same speakers....

Hence, the insane amount of time and hours we spent on the phone with him with mine....

Tom
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I used to have a set that Juan R has now. Great speaker.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    edited July 2022
    Resurrecting this thread to ask if I should look at a pair of Taylo Reference Monitors not far from me for $700? They have been veneered in cherry, which raises a caution flag, but the pictures look like a good job was done. Thanks.
  • Clipdat
    No you should put that $700 toward buying my Buchardt S400s w/ upgraded crossovers instead.
  • maxward
    Patience, Grasshopper! Ima gonna be lookin’ at lotsa standmounts at de Pacific Audio Fest this weekend. If I see anything that looks good dere, like what you got, I give you a jingle.
  • Clipdat
    Oh yeah I forgot that show is this weekend! Cool!
  • maxward
    The ad for these is now missing, so I’m assuming they sold. I still wouldn’t mind an opinion of these.
  • VR3
    For the money used you can not even buy the drivers new, some of the best drivers in the world, IMO
  • erniejade
    maxward wrote: »
    Patience, Grasshopper! Ima gonna be lookin’ at lotsa standmounts at de Pacific Audio Fest this weekend. If I see anything that looks good dere, like what you got, I give you a jingle.

Tell skip we said hi! I believe he is at that one.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    For the money used you can not even buy the drivers new, some of the best drivers in the world, IMO

Agreed. The set I had had matching bass bins with them. They had 4 8"woofers in a push pull configuration. The person I sold them to, still has them.
  • maxward
    I’ll definitely be saying hi to Skip, as well as having a good listen to whatever Rosso speakers he is bringing. I’d also like to hear some Studio Electric M4s and others in that size and price range. The Taylo Reference speakers were reduced $300 from his previous asking price. Sold in less than a day.