CIAUDIO phono pre & PSU

Options
Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,620
edited March 2022 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
https://ciaudio.com/product/peq•1-mkii-mmmc-phono-preamplifier

https://ciaudio.com/product/ac•15-mkii

Original owner purchased a few years ago from authorized dealer, but only tried it once and it's been sitting since in the box. Like new condition, original factory boxes, etc.

I don't have the rack space/room to make it work so I downsized to a smaller phono stage. Never used the dedicated PSU, but the unit sounded exceptional and incredibly dynamic even with the stock power supply. Check out the TAS review if you don't believe me about how good this unit sounds.

MSRP is $995 for PEQ and $299 for PSU, asking $600 shipped for both PP F&F.

Edit: I forgot that I put little LED tint circle stickers over the bright blue LEDs since this unit is designed to stay on 24/7, they are easily removable with no residue left behind.

Comments

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,085
    Options
    Drew, a heck of a good price especially with the PSU. I almost bought one a couple of years ago.

Good luck with this SALE!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
    1137 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm interested. Will PM you.
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Gonna let this run for a while and give regular members a chance before responding to one hit wonders.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,084
    Options
    Would running this with my entry level-ish Pro-ject Debut III be ridiculous? Akin to running a quality speaker with a lower level AVR?

Not sure if I want to invest in my vinyl because I never seem to listen to it, but maybe I never listen to it because I haven’t invested in it.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I kinda view it like hooking up cheap speakers to a high quality amplifier, you might be surprised at just how good they can sound.

What are you using now for your cartridge and phono pre?
    1137 Posts: 2
    Options
    Fair enough to offer to regular members first; I joined just to be able to respond to you. I am interested in buying and you can vet me through US Audio Mart if you don't sell here first.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Would running this with my entry level-ish Pro-ject Debut III be ridiculous? Akin to running a quality speaker with a lower level AVR?

Not sure if I want to invest in my vinyl because I never seem to listen to it, but maybe I never listen to it because I haven’t invested in it.

I would not hesitate because it is not ridiculous.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    Currently have a Pro-ject Phono Box II and a Shure M97xE. Record Cleaner is a Spin Clean, so…
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Clipdat
    Options
    That's a really nice setup, honestly I would just stick with that.
  • PSOVLSK
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I don’t know man. This pre has to be leaps and bounds better than the Phono Box, which is pretty much as entry level as it gets. Just don’t know if I’d listen to it enough to justify the purchase.

I certainly appreciate the honesty when you could easily be trying to push me off the fence.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,007
    Options
    @PSOVLSK what cartridge(s) are you using?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    Shure M97xE
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,007
    Options
    That cart prefers a higher capacitance load, which the CIAudio phono pre can accommodate.
    As an aside, I would recommend exploring a JICO SAS replacement stylus.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Options
    My take on the M97xE is that it's a very smooth sounding cartridge with warm mids and upper bass. Possibly slightly rolled off treble, but effortlessly listenable. Not the last word in micro-detail or treble clarity, but again a smooth and enjoyable listen.

Personally, I would start with trying a different cartridge such as Ortofon OM-30, Bronze, etc. but that's just because I personally prefer the Ortofon house sound. AT also has some nice entry-level ($300-ish) MM carts to choose from, but again they were a little too smooth for my tastes and didn't ruffle my feathers. @mlistens03 liked the AT though.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Final bump here before I list it on USAM later this week for $100 more.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Photos. Would really like this one to stay in the family if possible. @msg hook a brother up! I mean this with nothing but love, but this will absolutely obliterate your Lounge LCR pre.
    wihk5e8d6gat.jpg

b0r4pqk02gks.jpg

np3hnt049mj3.jpg

gc4cjkhbo2uw.jpg

fegmzchvpbzg.jpg

6per9t9mda3y.jpg

53isbdvt3z6u.jpg

• Clipdat
    Options
    I just posted it on USAM but the ad is still pending moderation.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,492
    Options
    Man, that's a beauty. I only have a lowly Technics SL-1210 and Denon 301 cart. Nothing highly resolving.

The Lounge is okay, but I'm using the Vincent PHO-8 these days. I haven't had a chance to really compare them since bettering bits of my system. I'm sure a better phono pre would be an improvement.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I tried this with my SL-1200 and Ortofon OM-30 and still clearly heard the improvement. There seems to be a misconception that a high end phono pre won't help improve entry-level TT and cartridges.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Actually I am doing the aforementioned equipment a disservice, Technics DD TTs and Denon/Ortofon carts are not entry-level.
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    I was about ready to pull trigger soon after you posted the ad, but you talked me out of it😂. I’m still tempted to grab it and return the Vincent I bought.
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Well you said you weren't super into vinyl and honestly your existing setup sounded like it would be great, I guess it just didn't seem like you should needlessly upgrade the phono stage. The Pro-ject phono pre has good specs.
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    Quit thinking logically…I had $$ burning a hole in my pocket.

I’m pretty sure mine is the entry level Pro-ject. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-McnKyFBpcnR/p_252PBUSDCB/Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-USB.html It’s a great little pre- for the money, but the Vincent I just got is definitely better. I’ve actually listened to about 3 albums in the past week which is more than I’ve listened to in the past year.

Now that I’ve heard what a better pre- can do, I’m seriously considering this again. I’ve got a few more rewards points to redeem😁
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Well ultimately it's up to you and how much money you want to throw into your vinyl rig. If you do decide to go for it, I would also upgrade the cartridge to an Ortofon or Audio Technica model at the same time or shortly thereafter.

Ad just went live on USAM, FWIW.
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I tried this with my SL-1200 and Ortofon OM-30 and still clearly heard the improvement. There seems to be a misconception that a high end phono pre won't help improve entry-level TT and cartridges.

I agree with you, I tried three phono preamps with my Technics SL1200 and Ortofon 2M Blue and definitely heard improvements over my Parasound Halo Integrated Phono stage. And I could hear differences between the three phono preamps I tried. I guess “improvements” can be subjective, but I definitely prefer what I hear from the preamp I kept over the Integrated phono stage. They were all priced $300-500, so I don’t have any doubts that there are higher priced preamps that would sound even better.

Based on that I don’t think you have to have super high end TT gear to notice improvements from adding a new phono preamp.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Quit thinking logically…I had $$ burning a hole in my pocket.

I’m pretty sure mine is the entry level Pro-ject. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-McnKyFBpcnR/p_252PBUSDCB/Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-USB.html It’s a great little pre- for the money, but the Vincent I just got is definitely better. I’ve actually listened to about 3 albums in the past week which is more than I’ve listened to in the past year.

Now that I’ve heard what a better pre- can do, I’m seriously considering this again. I’ve got a few more rewards points to redeem😁

DO IT!! Especially if you can return yours. You may even update the other related items later.

I thought it was a great buy with the PSU for you, and Drew did talk you out of it.

I would like to have it to replace my Musical Surroundings II+ without a PSU that costs about $600 by itself.

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Clipdat
    Options
    @PSOVLSK I just got someone on USAM asking to buy it, but will give you first dibs if you still want it. Let me know.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    @PSOVLSK I just got someone on USAM asking to buy it, but will give you first dibs if you still want it. Let me know.

r2im30rorgd6.gif

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Lol, I actually did get an email from someone, not just making it up.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    I know...was more of me pushing Paul to do the upgrade
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a