Carolina Audiofest Extravaganza

13»

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Can't wait to hear it... Your experience seems to echo mine

But unfortunately I am not sure we can confirm actual existence of it in the system without pics... So for right now, until we see pics, we assume the a3 is still in the rig until further notice
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Whatever putz.

So, I ask my wife.....who knows NOTHING about audio whatsoever if she hears any difference...

Mind you, she is 50' away, listening in the LR. Her answer? " It sounds more crisp".

LOL, I don't know what that means in audiophile terms but knowing her? I know exactly what that means. Audio vocabulary is not her specialty.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    edited March 2022
    Lol, she must know the a3 is still installed since she hasn't seen the photos
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    You tell ‘em, Sid!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    He sent me a photo directly... I'm having it authenticated as we speak!
  • treitz3
    bv964kwlmzo9.jpg

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Whatever putz.

So, I ask my wife.....who knows NOTHING about audio whatsoever if she hears any difference...

Mind you, she is 50' away, listening in the LR. Her answer? " It sounds more crisp".

LOL, I don't know what that means in audiophile terms but knowing her? I know exactly what that means. Audio vocabulary is not her specialty.

Tom

Think of it as a GREAT bottle of Wine!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    FYI Tom: Based on this listing I saw on eBay yesterday, there could be one less Musical Fidelity KW750 in the world because of current events.

9eytcv6ryrpt.png
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/114470029031?hash=item1aa6f206e7:g:VagAAOSwtmlfjEWu
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • treitz3
    "This package may be delayed due to shipping carrier service disruptions".

That's an understatement. BTW, I think that photo has been stolen....er, uh, "borrowed". I recall seeing that photo of the umbilical cords on top of the stack somewhere else a while back. That exact photo too.

So, at about 10:00 last night , I opened her up and let the system play at high volumes. I listened to the Alan Parsons Project's intro, "Sirius" followed immediately by, "Eye in the sky".

I'll put it to you this way. I didn't just listen to the music. I experienced the music. (pretty sure my neighbors did too). I must have listened to 7 or 8 albums yesterday, in their entirety and some of those were double albums.

Mark Knopfler's Privateering album is one that gets regular rotation in the rig and was also one of the double albums I played from start to finish. While much of it was the same (because I am very familiar with it), I experienced a plethora of new sounds and new instruments that I may have "heard" before, but they were definitely NOT as prominent and as much a part of the rest of the music as they were yesterday. No straining was necessary to hear even the subtlest/faintest of instruments/noises.

Horns and string instruments, like the Cello, violin or sax? Words cannot describe just how wonderful they sound. They sounded great before but NEVER like this. I was in so much appreciation at how well, musical and accurate these instruments played, I actually pulled out some of those dreaded "audiophile albums", so I could give them a spin.

The level of detail the system now presents (and it wasn't a slouch at all before) is unreal, it's so real, especially when fed a stellar recording. Troy had mentioned that, "Good recordings are rewarded". Yeah, that's an understatement now. With that said, even less than stellar recordings have much more music to the......well, music.

I even managed to fit in a decent meal whilst listening. All in all? A good day.

ym8lzpdeok9i.png

Yes, I know, I need to work on my "plating" skillz.....I was hungry man. Cut me some slack. Agenda for today? Figure out this network crap, so I can finally get to hear more than 4 minutes of music off of the Vega G2.

Tom

• VR3
    The kw750 is a true beast. The list of what it could not power would be much shorter than what it can.
  • VR3
    Back at it again!

Great time today!

@Reagan brought his ANK dac to @treitz3 place for a shoot out.

We cleaned records, compared digital streaming, CD, vinyl. Tested tubes, rolled tubes, a little bit of everything. Listened to some absolutely phenominal music!

Fun day had by all

I forgot to take pics but one

oj50uvfp4pc1.jpg
  • treitz3
    The day started out at my place (photo above) and I had just made the final adjustment to tuning the speakers to the room the night before. This photo was taken while we were doing a direct comparison to vinyl and the new Mo-Fi RB/DSD of the Car's self titled album (vinyl sounded much better) before we set @Rick's ANK DAC into the mix. Using a mid-level Transparent digital cable, we went straight from the Marantz SA-7S1to the ANK.

The difference in detail was astonishing but I believe that the biggest difference was the air, sound stage, spatial locationality cues, 3D imaging and ambience. This was basically a direct comparison to Marantz's TOTL Reference player (as of about 5 years ago) and Rick's brand spankin' new ANK DAC that hasn't even been burned in yet and we were using a signal tube that was inferior to another one we tested when we went to Rick's place to listen to his rig.

This was no subtle difference either. A most pleasurable difference! It only took me a couple of seconds to realize that this was something special...and I was off axis. When I sat down in the sweet spot, you should have seen my reaction....a very enthusiastic, "WoW!!!". If only the ANK would decode the SACD layer. That's it's only drawback for me but for RB? Holy crap, Batman!

So, we go over to Rick's, listened to some more vinyl, swapped a tube on the ANK DAC for S's&Giggles after comparing some of the vinyl to digital and soon we had the pleasure of meeting up with another member of the group, a gentleman by the name of Mike, who arrived after a couple of song selections. He had driven up from the Spartanburg area and after a few pleasantries, we dove right back into the music.

Now at this point, we were all hearing some rather funky phasing issues. It seemed as if the L sub was putting out more substance than it should have....but it wasn't the sub. Some of the aspects were rather cool but there was something that was off. It turned out that the stock tube that came with Rick's ANK was bad. So, we swapped that out and put in another kind of 12AU7 tube.

That one was right up the correct alley for Rick's system. All of a sudden, we went from listening to music (even with the first working tube that was in play at my house) to a much more musically engaging system. The phasing anomalies were corrected (all of them) and instruments were way more palpable. After much discussion and joking about rearranging Rick's office to provide the ultimate sweet spot (He's got a great listening room with plenty of real estate), we headed over to Trey's.

Trey had some selections already picked out, so we all listened to music for about 25 minutes and then the requests started. I gotta add this in here....this has nothing to do with music but everything to do with the word and definition of "adorable". Trey's Mom was watching her granddaughter when we got there and let me tell you....that little girl LOVES the heck out of her dad (Trey) and she is the living definition of adorable. She was even nice enough to offer me her sippy bottle.

Okay, so there wasn't much writeup on Trey's system when everyone was here listening. While there was quite the improvement on the top end and some other aspects since the last time we were there? There was a (and this is very hard to describe), shall I say, "unwanted artifact(s)", that affected the midrange in his system. Did it sound good? Absolutely. Could there have been improvement? Absolutely.

So, I was privately speaking with Trey about these "unwanted artifact(s)" and we started talking about what options he would have to do/what he could possibly do to change it. During this discussion, Trey looks down at his phone and jumps up like he just won the lottery or something. After a mad dash out the door, he comes back in with this little box. I'm thinkin', what's he so excited about?

Apparently, he had ordered a 1.5 meter digital cable. Little to my knowledge, apparently the length of the cable is just as much, if not more important than the metallurgy or build quality because of feedback issues. Who knew? Well, apparently he did. So, we unbox and unwrap this cable, shut the system down and within 5 minutes, the system was back up and running, new digital cable installed.

We didn't know what to expect but man, that cable made a pretty remarkable difference in Trey's rig. From top to bottom, the clarity, texture, detail, definition increased in spades (not a subtle difference) and it removed "unwanted artifacts" that were present in the midrange drivers, so you were able to hear things that were always there, but masked. Much more musical information was now easily heard and we both heard things that we did not hear just an hour or two before (or ever on his system).

Everything I was relaying to Trey that was in need of attention got taken care of within 5 minutes. Now, everything is in crystal clear focus with great clarity, texture and definition. Up and down the spectrum of frequencies, there was a noticeable difference.....but that critical midrange issue? Gone. *Poof*. Like it was never there. Now I really wanted to stay!

All in all, a great time, cool tunes and great company. Rick's wife and even Mike's wife were there to enjoy the music as well. Looking very forward to the next GTG.

Tom

• treitz3
    Notable Quotable from this event -

"That lid's coming off like a prom dress!" - Trey AKA "Sid the Kid"

Tom
  • VR3
    Great write up Tom, seeing your face and hearing your reaction to the ank was pretty hilarious.

Excellent time had by all of us. Interesting how since we started doing this, all of our systems are sounding more and more similar
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Ok now you bastages are making me want to upgrade to the ANK.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Was the ANK built by the owner or the factory? If the owner, how difficult was it?
  • VR3
    edited June 2022
    Mine and Ricks were built by ANK Digital Pete. I chose that route for resale purposes. In my experience, "DIY gear" is near worthless unless the builder has a track record/history.

I can say it is easily one of the best sounding DACs I have heard to date.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Thanks. Good to know.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Great writeup....and I know I missed a GREAT time. Now that I know what the ANK is....can't wait to listen to it next time!!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    what was the new digital cable he got in?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • VR3
    https://www.carousell.sg/p/audiolund-digital-cable-spdif-xtreme-series-1-0m-1088801316/

1.5m with furutech bnc

Extremely well built. Prices are Singapore dollars
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Why is Tom always barefoot and wearing shorts? Gross.
  • VR3
    He has a shoe phobia