Question regarding the old EPIK Empire sub

Hello, one of my subs blew it's second amp. Is anyone familiar with the Epik Empire and experience a similar catastrophe and know of a adequate replacement amp??
Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

Best Answer

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    I had considered ZLTFUL's suggestion however that rating is at 4 ohms.
    A 4 Ohm rating is what you need right? The Empire / Legend individual drivers are 8 Ohm, combined in parallel for a 4 Ohm load. Most plate amps produce optimum power at 4 ohms.

As far as the Sound Tower amp, it might be ok but its listed as a PA amp. That small diameter fan might be a high pitch winer.

STPAS-800D_Class-D_700W_RMS_Plate_Amplifier-Amp_Module_864x864.jpg?v=1640129411

Imo, from partsexpress, the Dayton, Yung, or BASH 500 watt amps would be safe bets. The ICEpower 500 watt board would be a premium option.

The SpeakerPower SP1-700-HT (1 x 700W @ 4Ω ) ICEpower amp would be a premium option. (There are heavy hitter amps used in pro audio and high end subs from the likes of Seaton Sound)
    https://www.speakerpower.net/store/c3/Plate_Amplifiers.html

Then there are pro amps that would work well.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2

Answers

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I had an Epik Legend and used one of the Dayton SPA250DSP plate amps in it. The original amp had died a horrrrrrrrrrid smokey death.

They also make a 500w version. They are decently priced and the DSP is pretty simple to use. Plus they only need a little bit of trimming to make them work in the Epik subs.

I know it isn't as high of a wattage rating but the 250w version I had did really well.

Really, any plate amp would work depending on how much modding you want to do. Heh.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Just have an aluminum plate cut for the size and then use an external pro Amp
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2022
    Some have repaired these amps. Of course it depends on how bad the damage and if one can find a reasonable tech or DIY.

If the amps to both subs have gone bad then as others have stated, consider using a pro amp.

Whatever you do, DON'T THROW AWAY THE AMP PLATE!

The electronics can be either removed or left in place and disconnected from the inputs. Then, the drivers can be wired to terminals on the plate. Even if you have to replace the balanced inputs and add in speaker inputs. No need to find a plate!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    Thanks fellas....I appreciate the imput.....I took the plate to Bjorns here in San Antonio, I have good report there since I worked there as an installer for a short bit....the amp is totally fried...unable to repair which was my greatest hope......
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Thanks fellas....I appreciate the imput.....I took the plate to Bjorns here in San Antonio, I have good report there since I worked there as an installer for a short bit....the amp is totally fried...unable to repair which was my greatest hope......

Dude, was wondering what happened to you. Looks like you moved back to TX. Hope all is well.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Hey Ken, yes sir, took me long enough but finally made it home to San Antonio!

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Sup Bro!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Geoff4rfc
    Sup Bro!

Hey Danny!!! Good to see you!

• Geoff4rfc
    After "no mamma, the soich continues" door knock after door knock, looking at pro amps (thanks VR3) and searching Dayton (thanks ZLTFUL), I inquired about the SVS upgrade kit 13 ultra...looked good to me but SVS wouldn't sell since I wasn't truly upgrading the required SVS sub. So, this is what looks to be a viable option to resurrect the Empire.... https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SPA1000-1000W-Subwoofer-Plate-Amplifier-300-809?turntoflow=qco&ttdat=eyJjIjoxMDQ2NSwidSI6NTcwNjMxOCwiZiI6Ikdlb2ZmcmV5IiwibCI6IkxhbWJlcnQiLCJtIjpmYWxzZX0&tttok=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJUdXJuVG8iLCJleHAiOjE2NDg0Nzg3NDEsInUiOjU3MDYzMTgsInMiOiJVU0VSX0NPTkZJUk1FRCJ9.xqjXvfOYNYBHfFmicE8ZStWLAG6hL7aWB6Vun1rEMYY&turntosku=300-809 the SPA 1000

• Geoff4rfc
    Sorry to be a bother however, I value the input of the veteran members here so, along with the SPA1000 (linked above) is a class A/B. the OEM is a class D. I have found this one as well, https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Town-Speakers-Subwoofer-High-Pass/dp/B08G6ZHMPK/ref=asc_df_B09KVLJ8RY?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80127036358517&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726556651092&th=1 which is a class D and is rated higher than the A/B amp and would be closer rated to the OEM amp. I had considered ZLTFUL's suggestion however that rating is at 4 ohms.

Thank you, gentleman, once again.

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    @Geoff4rfc Let us know how the replacement amp works. I have an Empire brand new still in it's delivery carton never unboxed. I bought when they were first announced. Haven't set up a HT yet. I also have a Polk PSW-505 in it's box, never opened either. I guess I made a couple of poor choices. :/
  • Geoff4rfc
    Howdy, just thought I'd drop a note and make mention of the replacement amp for the EPIK Empire. Using the SPA500 and by golly, it's been kicking ever since. Sure is nice to be able to run both subs again. Thanks again for the recommendations.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Thanks for the update brah!
  • Geoff4rfc
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Absolutely!!! It was awesome for the folks here to chime in with the suggestions. I had the Empires stacked for a bit and now have one placed behind the seats between the RTiA9 rear surrounds. Two sets of RTiA9s as wides and rears, the 703s at surround, the 707's and 706 on the front...all set to large, two Epik Empires...I've got some "decent" LFE lol

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638

Absolutely!!! It was awesome for the folks here to chime in with the suggestions. I had the Empires stacked for a bit and now have one placed behind the seats between the RTiA9 rear surrounds. Two sets of RTiA9s as wides and rears, the 703s at surround, the 707's and 706 on the front...all set to large, two Epik Empires...I've got some "decent" LFE lol

Yeah, your system sounded pretty weak without subs when I visited 🤣
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    @Geoff4rfc Thanks for the follow-up....glad to see the SPA500 works. I have an Empire that I purchased new around 2011. So far, my amp hasn't given up the ghost. Several years ago it would get finicky when I cycled it off/on but found if I just left it in auto detect mode there were no issues. Honestly, I expected it to go by now. I've read several threads around the net but didn't "know" anyone w/success replacing the amp. Again, thanks for the update and I've bookmarked this thread in case I need to hit you up for help.

Cheers,

John
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Geoff4rfc

Yeah, your system sounded pretty weak without subs when I visited 🤣

Lol....yes sir Ken, you did appear pretty disappointed....KNOT lol, I loved the way you were digging the Styx CD, dude, you should take a seat over here now.....maybe not, I won't be able to get you to go home.... :D

• Geoff4rfc
    JayCee wrote: »
    @Geoff4rfc Thanks for the follow-up....glad to see the SPA500 works. I have an Empire that I purchased new around 2011. So far, my amp hasn't given up the ghost. Several years ago it would get finicky when I cycled it off/on but found if I just left it in auto detect mode there were no issues. Honestly, I expected it to go by now. I've read several threads around the net but didn't "know" anyone w/success replacing the amp. Again, thanks for the update and I've bookmarked this thread in case I need to hit you up for help.

Cheers,

John

JayCee, appreciate the kind words. Both of my Empires gave up their original amps. Chad was great at sending out replacements. My first sub is still kicking on it's replacement. My second sub however took a crap in the first month I owned it. The replacement just went toast here earlier this year. The second replacement is doing just fine. The Dayton is more powerful than the OEM.

• Geoff4rfc
    So here's a little piece of to catch up on the neighborhood gossip......yesterday, my next door neighbor comes over and rings the doorbell, when I open the door, she says, Hi neighbor, you rocking out??? Long story long....after confronting her husband weeks earlier asking if they could hear or were disturbed by my set up, he says no, and I say, cause man, I've got it cranked some times, he still says no and I'm thinking, SWEET, turn it up!!!

Now, it's not the sound they hear, but according to his wife, their bedroom window faces my living room window albeit about 25' between them, she reports that the window frame is rattling as if a small earthquake is happening right here in good ol San Anotone....now that's some LFE by golly.

I invited her in to take a look and right off, she was impressed with "size" of everything, . and she says, well, lets hear it. I had Man of Steel in, that was the culprit that brought her over, so I pick out a couple of demo scenes for her.....at first she says, "it's like a theater"........then after a bit of review she says, it's better than a theater. The first scene I brought up was the fishing boat on it's way to the offshore oil rig and the boat crashes through a wave and punches her right in the chest and she "exclaims" WOW, I can feel it in my chest......lol, yes ma'am.

Now long story short, he's too polite to say anything, she's cool with it as long as I stay out of their bedroom after 9pm.

These poor folks, they're a young couple with two boys pre jr high school age. On the other side of them is a Vato, Tim is cool enough but his car is equipped with a sub that sounds like the body is for real
    coming off the chassis and will do a victory lap at the top of the cul-de-sac before parking his car...the dishes in my cabinet dance when he does that lol.

So there you are, all caught up.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    That’s awesome that she’s cool with it within reasonable limits! That’s about all you can ask.

I live in a nice Texas suburb with massive houses and big yards built for, ya know, families, and my older empty-nester neighbors complain endlessly about my boxer barking. I told them we keep inside at night except when we go out but they don’t care and reported us to the cops and now we have to keep the poor dog in basically all the darn time….at least she’s older and sleeps a lol lol…

Keep rocking on man!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Geoff4rfc
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    That’s awesome that she’s cool with it within reasonable limits! That’s about all you can ask.

Uggg, some neighbors just need to complain. too bad about your boxer, calling the cops over something like that is kinda low. Ever consider a bark collar for the girl, let her have her domain back? Then tell your neighbors to "have a nice day"

• pcmike
    pcmike Posts: 1
    Howdy, just thought I'd drop a note and make mention of the replacement amp for the EPIK Empire. Using the SPA500 and by golly, it's been kicking ever since. Sure is nice to be able to run both subs again. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Just found this thread with some googling as the amp in my Epic Dragon finally gave up the ghost after 13 years. Was the SPA500 a drop in replacement for your empire or did you have to mod the enclosure? From what I read over on AVSforum and the dimensions of the SPA500 on parts express it seems like the SPA500 is larger than the original amp.

Also, this may be a long shot.. but does anyone know if the Empire and Dragon used the same amp and therefore have the same cutout/etc dimensions?
  • Geoff4rfc
    pcmike wrote: »
    Was the SPA500 a drop in replacement ?

No sir. The sub cabinet was too small for the amp to fit, so, I just wired it and placed the amp on to of the cabinet.bzzr0c0j7h9z.jpg
    t9dbc0a05fry.jpg