Anybody into wood fired pizza at home?

Options

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I definitely agree with RAO’s sauces they make both a regular pizza sauce and a Margherita pizza sauce. Dare I say their pasta sauce is better than a lot of homemade sauces I’ve tried! It is pricey but worth every penny.

4sytzqn3m2nx.jpeg
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    edited January 2022
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    We have a local pizza joint that cooks pizza in less than 90 seconds. Every one I've tried had always been full of bubbles in the crust. Do you find if you cook yours in the Koda 16 that fast do you also get bubbly crust?

I guess what I'm looking for is it the speed that creates the bubbles or the dough they use.

Yes, the edge of the crust will sometimes form large bubbles at the beginning of the cook, but most of them disappear as it finishes. The finished edges are usually filled with small bubbles. An airy, bubbly, crispy, crust is good! That what I strive for when I bake pizza. This photo is not one of mine, but this shows what a typical correctly baked thick crust pizza looks like from the Ooni oven.

5f9ouzmozut6.jpg

Post edited by mark090852 on
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,599
    Options
    Yep like that. Seems to pile all the ingredients into the middle.

I'm not a fan of that.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,616
    Options
    I prefer a cracker-thin crust, and the slice has to support itself when you pick it up.
  • mark090852
    edited January 2022
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Yep like that. Seems to pile all the ingredients into the middle.

I'm not a fan of that.

I frequently make mine with a very thin edge, and even though it rises and bubbles some when baking, I can keep the cheese and other toppings almost all the way to the edge. It depends on what you want, but you can make it either way. Thick with fat edges or thinner with small edges. Here is a photo of a thin one that someone did. I like this type the best.

jd3xyvvz2chy.jpg
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Options
    Love this thread. Wife and I started cooking homemade pizzas after SMU trip to Italy fen years ago. All fresh ingredients and homemade dough. We tried to make homemade sauce but, like others, are very impressed with Rao’s.

I bought one of the pizza over attachments for my gas grill off of Amazon. As others have suggested, the key is preheating the stone. It will not take long at all to cook!!! I prefer the blisters and bubbles with slightly charred cheese and toppings. Our kids LOVE it. They prefer a slightly less done, doughy finish.

jeq02m5fihvw.jpeg
    8rhmu7too5i0.jpeg
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • cincycat13
    Options
    zzmywtuxs1rp.jpg
    at429hqsbz4h.jpg
    te8rhrui4cxk.jpg

I added the GMG grills pizza stone kit to my pellet grill. I am still on the learning curve, but it is fun with the kids.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,716
    Options
    I've grilled mini pizza's before. Prefer gas grill over charcoal. Temp 400° @ 15min. Now I'm hungry.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    How much y'all charge for delivery to NJ?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,362
    Options
    We made our first margherita style pizza last night with delicious results. My wife's been following The Pizza Bible studiously and each pie gets better. We got some brewer's malt from a DIY beer brewing store and grow fresh basil on our kitchen counter. We tried the broiler method and loved the results.

goz87ltx6ise.png

DUDE......Nice one! That pizza looks outstanding! We are going to start the indoor garden as well. Nothing like fresh herbs!

The words in bold mimics my same experience. That book is definitely a goldmine of knowledge.

My latest experiment wasn't really a pizza but I went ahead and tried my hand at a Brooklyn style bread called "Prosciutto Bread with Provolone". It's got 3 different types of meat IN THE BREAD, along with provolone cheese and even beer.

It turned out pretty daggum good, if I do say so myself. Even my "very picky eater" son loved it. That's sayin' somethin' right there. Here are some pics.

6ckjy56hblns.png
    oq0on6jwp56a.png
    vsoxbr5wrjuj.png

This was actually the very first bread I have ever baked (besides bread for pizza). Next time I do it, I will employ some of the tips and tricks from the Pizza Bible into the bake and adjust just a few minor things to make it a tad bit crunchier on the outside with just a little bit more lift in the center.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Saw that bread made on America’s Test Kitchen or Cook’s Country last weekend. Looks great!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I bought the Pizza Bible too. Making dough once a week and in oven at 500*. When I get better at it I will try it in the BGE.
    Thanks for sending me down this rabbit hole!
    Love yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • treitz3
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    Saw that bread made on America’s Test Kitchen or Cook’s Country last weekend. Looks great!

Thanks. That's where I got the inspiration/recipe from, Cook's Country. I saw the same episode you watched and the next day, I set out to get the ingredients I didn't have on hand (meats, cheese and a mild lager) and made it. Gotta admit....I actually had a lot of fun making that bread. Cooking isn't always fun but that bread sure was.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    @treitz3 , thanks for your comments, it tasted as good as it looked. My wife and I have made Saturday and Sunday "pizza nights". We have a small, 3 slice pizza each and a salad and wine. A great way to anticipate the weekend. We've replaced the metal peel with a wood version and it made a significant difference. Currently we use Anna's Tippo "00" extra fine flour and spring water topped with Galbani fresh mozzarella and Rao's Margherita sauce and home grown basil.
    Great fun!
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    Well, last night it was the first time making my own pizza, and it was a complete fail, not going into a brick oven, but we'll it is what it is. Looking at the picture later, I could it make a calzone out of it. 😳😃

w7s7r897tff3.jpeg

Will try again.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • treitz3
    Options
    LOL.....release issues?

Looks good, just need to work on the discombobulation.

Tom
  • mark090852
    Options
    Irrenhaus wrote: »
    Well, last night it was the first time making my own pizza, and it was a complete fail, not going into a brick oven, but we'll it is what it is. Looking at the picture later, I could it make a calzone out of it. 😳😃

w7s7r897tff3.jpeg

Will try again.

Cheers

The way I do it is to dust the peel, with a little semolina flour, and then build the pizza on the peel. Each step of the way be sure to give the peel a little shake and make sure the pizza moves back and forth. If it doesn't move, you can try lifting it on one end and forcing a little air under it to loosen it. It's critical you do this with each addition of toppings. After the sauce, then cheese, etc. It's also critical that the peel is absolutely dry and the dough does not have any holes in it at all. Also, don't use too much sauce and build the pizza quickly so the sauce doesn't cause the dough to get sticky on the bottom while still on the peel. You'll get the hand of it for sure!
  • treitz3
    Options
    Irrenhaus wrote: »

w7s7r897tff3.jpeg

Will try again.

Cheers

I made pizza this past Thursday or Friday night and I found out that fine Semolina flour works a whole lot better than flour (any other type). I started with just a little bit because of my bad experiences with regular sized Semolina flour. But...it kept sticking and I was afraid that I would have a similar release that you had pictured above.

I got frustrated and told myself to not give a rat's posterior.....to lay it on thick. So, I took a thin piece of twine, pulled it on both ends and ran it under the uncooked pizza. This did a good job separating it from the pizza peel but it wasn't until I LOADED up the peel with the fine semolina flour that it started sliding like perfection. I ended up using way more than I thought I would on the 2nd pizza (even though I hadn't tasted the first pizza yet).

I just figured that we would order something if it didn't turn out good.

Both pizzas turned out fantastic (unlike with the regular semolina) and the release on the second one was as flawless as one would expect. No need to even run the twine underneath it before final release. I was expecting the semolina to ruin the final taste/texture of the pizza slices but in fact, it actually enhanced the final product.

So, a WIN on the release and a WIN on the final result.

So, I have learned that fine semolina....and a lot of it is the key to a flawless release. You may want to try this next time. The photo below was the end result of the release. I tried a different lower temp for this one (that was NOT recommended), so the pizza didn't turn out as good as they usually do (also tried an experimental Gouda cheese) but I wanted to show you the end result of the release...

4balfj2thkte.png

Tom
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,514
    Options
    This pizza photo was taken by a former Polk employee Jim Knight:

vytzvtftnjdi.png
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    A delicious New York style pizza my wife made, we added some fresh basil.

jijerfji4x7n.png
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    This pizza photo was taken by a former Polk employee Jim Knight:

vytzvtftnjdi.png

LOVE the cutting board !!
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    A Sicilian style pizza my wife made, very involved process but highly rewarding.

poiaebvdn4cn.png
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,653
    Options
    making me hungry
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,467
    Options
    I saw youall's thread a while back, and was loosely interested, but hadn't made any effort. I've made pizzas on the grill few times, but that was just the grocery store made kinds. Definitely different grilled. I liked it.

I've been meaning to buy a pizza stone for a long while, and just recently started looking into them. There sure are some frustrated people out there reviewing pizza stones, but I'm thinking they're not using them properly.

One question did come to mind though - are you all using stones? Anyone using cast iron?

From brief reading so far, they both have their benefits, but it seemed to come down to crust type and the desired texture, is that right?

What do you guys think?

Anyone with actual brick/stone ovens, I gather you're just placing the pizza inside, directly.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I personally use 2 pizza stones (with metal handles that are black as all get up. Water stands zero chance of getting into the stones from the top, they are so seasoned.

I have also done CI on the grill and in the egg. In my experience, it's not so much whether or not you use a stone or CI, it's what cooking vessel you use that yields the biggest difference (along with the direct and radient heat the unit puts out/retains)

Tom
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    I had baked pizza in my gas fired Weber and included a smoker box. The pizza was placed on a baking stone to keep it from gooing through the grates. It turned quite good.

I have been wanting to try pizza baked in my Pit Boss wood pellet grill.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I have been wanting to try pizza baked in my Pit Boss wood pellet grill.
    @skrol, how do you like the Pit Boss? I've been thinking of getting one. I really like my offset barrel stick smoker buuut .....
  • smartie_panta
    smartie_panta Posts: 187
    edited April 25
    Options
    I use a pizza steel in my home oven. I actually have a pizza stone on the rack ABOVE it as well. That way it traps a lot of heat above it. I heat the oven to its highest setting and turn on for about an hour. (Gets up to temp in about 30 minutes and then additional 30 minutes.)

I find I get a nice char on the crust this way and toppings cooked perfectly as well. The steel allows me to make another pizza very soon after I finish one. With a family of four, we usually make four ~12 inch Neapolitan style pizzas.

I use the 72 hour dough recipe on the Pizza Steel website.

Turns out awesome. One tip I have that works for my setup is that if you use fresh mozzarella, which we almost always do, is that you keep it in the fridge the whole time. I.e. if you like to have all the ingredients/toppings out, still keep the cheese in the fridge. If you let it get warm/room temp, it cooks too fast. Keeping it in the refrigerator allows for it to melt in perfectly cooked spots on the pizza.