Polk Reserve Series R700

Irrenhaus
Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
Hi

I am thinking upgrading my beloved RTi12 to the new R700 series for HT and some music. The center channel will follow.
I have find myself doing a lot of video streaming lately.
The reviews seems good on their performance.
They will be power by an Adcom 585 also looking to upgrade.
Any comments?

Cheers
HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    It's been an hour and 45 minutes already. Got 'em yet?

Seriously, for a combo system, these should sound great. I thought the RTi10s I had were good for theater, but I couldn't get comfortable with them for music.

Do you have a sub in this system?

Do you have a dedicated 2ch as well?
    I disabled signatures.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    edited February 2022
    If you come looking for validation, go buy now! I’m sure it will be more than worth it!

Please post pics when they come in :smile:

In all seriousness, Having had RTI-10’s for quite a while in my HT, I can imagine the R700’s are a sizable upgrade and they certainly look much better IMO
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Irrenhaus
    msg wrote: »
    It's been an hour and 45 minutes already. Got 'em yet?

Seriously, for a combo system, these should sound great. I thought the RTi10s I had were good for theater, but I couldn't get comfortable with them for music.

Do you have a sub in this system?

Do you have a dedicated 2ch as well?

Hi thanks.

Yes I do have a sub a Rythmik F25 and I do have a dedicated 2ch as well.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    The reason I was asking whether you had a dedicated 2ch was because you mentioned this being a combo system. If you didn't have a dedicated 2ch, and since you have that nice sub, I was thinking for a clean music-first combo system, maybe the L200 would be a nice option as well, slightly biased toward 2ch performance.

Curious, do you have the Rythmik blended pretty well with the RTi12s? I seem to have difficulty finding the sweet spot when using a sub with larger speakers, but I'm sure that's more a room/placement thing.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Irrenhaus
    msg wrote: »
    The reason I was asking whether you had a dedicated 2ch was because you mentioned this being a combo system. If you didn't have a dedicated 2ch, and since you have that nice sub, I was thinking for a clean music-first combo system, maybe the L200 would be a nice option as well, slightly biased toward 2ch performance.

Curious, do you have the Rythmik blended pretty well with the RTi12s? I seem to have difficulty finding the sweet spot when using a sub with larger speakers, but I'm sure that's more a room/placement thing.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I do have the F25 well blended, at least for my taste. But still, the 12s are bright for music, and after a while it gets tired.

On the 2ch system, I have a set of Lintons with a 12" SVS and love it.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I'd recommend waiting for a sale to come up on the Reserve series again.
  • Irrenhaus
    Hi,

Order has been placed. Now is waiting time. They will replace my beloved RTi 12's. The center channel will be upgraded down the road to a R400.

Cheers
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Congrats!
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Irrenhaus
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Congrats!

Thanks.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I hope you enjoy them! For me it was either the Linton's or the R600's. My wife liked both (she actually preferred the looks of the Linton's) but after reading many various reviews on the Linton's decided to go with the R600's. I told my wife that with the Linton's I would have to either get acoustic panels to put behind them (for the rear ports) or stick them out in the room over a foot, maybe more. That was that, she was not going to put up with speakers stuck that far out and acoustic panels were a no-go, period. So..., the wife likes the R600's!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Congrats, looking forward to a review.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Emlyn
  • Irrenhaus
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Couple very positive reviews of the R700s in the last couple days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pow6xA6ssc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH8JB1PZH48

Hey Thanks.

Cheers
  • Irrenhaus
    Delivered, I am not home now, in Ames for work. Will be home in the morning. It will be a good morning after coffee.

• Irrenhaus
    edited June 2022
    Well got a chance to set them up last evening. It's been a hectic week at work. This things sound amazing with music, they have a nice deep bass by themselves did not need to use the sub.

Have not try yet with a movie and so far only streaming music and videos. But extremely happy with them. R400 Next.

mh8u7dqgnfls.jpg

Unfortunetlly I also found last night that my Adcom 585 is making a strange noise when is power back on ( I rarely turn it off), but is completely silence after is back on. It seems this unit has a relay to delay the power when is turned on, it takes a few seconds for audio to start playing on the speakers after power on the amp. So my guess is that the relay is going bad. I will look into it and replace it or remove it.

Cheers
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited June 2022
    I don't believe any Adcom of that era had any start-up/shut down relay. That's why music continues to play after you turn the amp off and then the famous "farting" when the caps are finally drained.

I haven't look at or researched the older (orignal) Adcom pieces in quite some time so I am going on a foggy memory. Could be the dreaded output board and the defective (leaking) caps rearing its ugly head, although based on the age, if it was going to happen (because of the defective run of caps initially) it would have failed by now.

Definitely have it looked at. Many parts are very had to get, like the original output transistors. Toshiba ceased production a long time ago. I remember seeing people trying to hoard what was left at least 10 years ago. Of course you can find compatible OT's but then you'd have to redo the other amp as well for them to sound exactly the same. IIRC, the originals were made my Toshiba and were "canned" TO3 style bi-polar transistors.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Irrenhaus
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I don't believe any Adcom of that era had any start-up/shut down relay. That's why music continues to play after you turn the amp off and then the famous "farting" when the caps are finally drained.

I haven't look at or researched the older (orignal) Adcom pieces in quite some time so I am going on a foggy memory. Could be the dreaded output board and the defective (leaking) caps rearing its ugly head, although based on the age, if it was going to happen (because of the defective run of caps initially) it would have failed by now.

Definitely have it looked at. Many parts are very had to get, like the original output transistors. Toshiba ceased production a long time ago. I remember seeing people trying to hoard what was left at least 10 years ago. Of course you can find compatible OT's but then you'd have to redo the other amp as well for them to sound exactly the same. IIRC, the originals were made my Toshiba and were "canned" TO3 style bi-polar transistors.

H9

Hi H9,

Thanks for the reply. I know, but this is how the inside of mine looks like. This board sits on top of the transformer. I am the second owner and the original owner had the unit recap.

I was doing some cleaning some time ago to dust it off.

xaxhvs23gfud.jpg

8kn38ueq118y.jpg

Cheers

• Vasyl777
    Vasyl777 Posts: 6
    Hey guys! Need your help in advice. I was careless with my amp volume and burned the tweeters on my R700s. To replace, I need to understand how to properly dismantle them. Support helped with nothing - attached dealer's contacts - they will help you... :( As far as I understand, there are mounting screws under the outer plastic ring. How can I remove this ring correctly? Is it glued or held on by magnets? It seems like from the description of the tweeter, we can conclude that the ring is held on magnets. I found a guide for replacing the tweeter with the L series - there the decorative panel is really on magnets. I don't have a very powerful magnet to remove the ring, but I tried a neodymium magnet with a breaking force of about 25 kg. The ring didn't even budge. The fit to the body is very tight - even the blade cannot be squeezed through. Do I still need to look for a very powerful magnet or is this ring somehow cleverly removed in a different way?
    I will be very grateful for your help dr79c1cabse5.jpg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Ring pulls off like a grill
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited June 2022
    VR3 wrote: »

I don't know -- but I suspect that pulling off the ring may require some... ahh... encouragement. I like dental picks for such... persuasion, but a delicate touch is necessary. :#

Meanwhile -- @Vasyl777 are you sure the problem lies in the tweeters and not, e.g., in some component(s) of the crossover?
  • Vasyl777

So I really need more powerfull magnet, right?
  • Vasyl777
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    @Vasyl777 are you sure the problem lies in the tweeters and not, e.g., in some component(s) of the crossover?
    I'm not sure, so anyway I need to remove tweeters and show it to some speaker master. There is a suspicion that the problem is in the burned coils of the tweeters.

• VR3
    There is adhesive so it will require encouragement and positive reinforcement
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Use a thin plastic panel removal tool or two and something to prevent marring the cabinet. No guarantee it won't leave a small mark on the plastic cover ring or cabinet. Some may even be brave and wrap some electrical tape on the blade of a thin screwdriver and pry using that. Not me.
  • mhardy6647
    Vasyl777 wrote: »

So I really need more powerfull magnet, right?

I don't think they're magnetic. I don't know (these other guys do!) but I suspect the rings are press-fit.
    Good advice in the couple of posts above.
  • VR3
    I used the rekey tool from a kwikset smart key
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    @Vasyl777 let Polk fix it. It will be less expensive than repairing all the damage you will cause.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    BlueFox wrote: »
    @Vasyl777 let Polk fix it. It will be less expensive than repairing all the damage you will cause.

good advice.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    It's just a beauty ring. Polk speakers from many different generations have been easy to disassemble. I doubt the Reserve are any different.

It's possible it's just sticky tape like the tweet/mid sonic engine beauty ring/baffle.
    9upbsc93nc3g.jpeg

Get yourself some pry tools and take your time.
    avs13ciifgeh.png
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2