I have definitely lost it

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I don't disagree -- 'long as it is flat.
    Amusingly, I have an extra daughterboard populated with a set of sliders that are (presumably) good.
    But I am... preternaturally lazy.
    I believe I mentioned that. ;)
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    😂
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited February 2022
    It's all about that bass, bout that bass. :D

https://youtu.be/7PCkvCPvDXk
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited February 2022
    Congrats. B)

So, the Rambler is now rockin?

I wonder what SPL is occurring or are you just a low or med. volume level listener?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Yup. The Rambler is definitely rockin. One setback. I went to hook up the eq I got with the preamp, and something killed the right channel on the preamp. So pissed at myself. Idk if something was wrong with the eq. The guy I got it from had an extra slider control that adjusts the frequency bands taped on top of the eq when I bought it. Said something about "if I heard a hum, that's what might need replacing", but he remembered it working ok and the slider was "just in case". I didn't hear a hum, a pop, or anything else scary once connected, but the right channel was dead. I figured the eq was just toasted, since everything worked fine before. But, much to my dismay, once I unhooked it, no sound out of the right channel of the preamp.
    I am using the Pioneer sc25 as my pre for now, with ok results. I still think the analog Onkyo was much better. Fu*#ing disappointed. Guess I will look at the bright side. At least it didn't take out the power amp or speakers. Any suggestions on troubleshooting the Onkyo from a tech-minded soul? I have a digital multi meter and downloaded the service manual. I have done very little component level repair. I would feel confident enough to take voltage readings along the different circuits, which could lead me to the problem. Just need a little guidance, something along the lines of
    "Put the meter on x setting, put the negative probe to chassis ground and check for x voltage, on x pin, of x transistor/cap etc
    If not I guess I will have to decide if the cost of taking it to a shop is worth it.
    Where's the "bang head against wall" emoji when you need it :/
  • I'm trying to resist, but I think some alcohol therapy is getting ready to happen, just to reduce the sting.
    Damnit man!
  • Maybe it will make the Pioneer sound a little better.
  • In these situations, I'm always reminded of the late, great Chris Farley's rant in "Blacksheep" when he says sometimes he just wants to yank the wheel and head for a bridge abutment.
  • mhardy6647
    Oh.
    I just wanted to add this little musical coda to the title of this thread. B)

https://youtu.be/WiQVaGdJEMY
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Take that EQ and throw it in the trash. Take your time and build a better system. We are here to help.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647-
    I have never in my 53 years heard or heard of Lucinda Williams. Thanks for the entertaining enlightenment. The was sublime. Somehow that helped ease the pain. Great soulful voice, and nailed my sentiment exactly.
    And Audioluvr,
    I'm taking it one step at a time, cause I'm definitely trying to avoid the 12 step program thing B)
  • But the twinkley lights on that eq were just so pretty.... I should have just plugged it in for a decoration and left well enough alone.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2022
    mhardy6647-
    I have never in my 53 years heard or heard of Lucinda Williams. Thanks for the entertaining enlightenment. The was sublime. Somehow that helped ease the pain. Great soulful voice, and nailed my sentiment exactly.
    And Audioluvr,
    I'm taking it one step at a time, cause I'm definitely trying to avoid the 12 step program thing B)

I feel really bad for you, in that case. ;)
    She's... something.
    I'm not really much of a twang-o-phile -- but I make an exception for Lucinda.

That album (Car Wheels on a Gravel Road) is her Meisterstuck.

You might know this song of hers, which was covered by a guy called Tom Petty.

https://youtu.be/fzFndt3YPFI

https://youtu.be/Zi4FbohLSjs
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Anyways...fyccjgq1osbt.jpg

That's actually kind of cool and better than I imagined. However... you're not going to get the SDA performance with them toed in. Aside from that, placement looks about perfect.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Yes, we lost a good one that day. "Even the Losers" is always hanging around the top of my recent play lists. Sounded a bit like he was channeling his inner Mick Jagger on a few notes there.
  • Maybe from "Far away eyes" on the legendary Some Girls. The Stones were like a Phoenix from the ashes with that one.
  • Yes sir Mr msg,
    Those pics were from last night. They are now towed in just ever so slightly. I actually listened to about half a song today without the sda cable hooked up, just to gauge the difference in sound. And that's why it was only half a song. That was all I needed to hear before reconnecting it. Had a good friend who enjoys audio stop by today. He was impressed, to put it mildly. Got a text from him about 2 hours after he left. It was a picture of some sda 2's on f.b. marketplace with the caption
    "Hmmm"
  • I was driving home, early Sunday morning through Bakersfield, listening to Gospel music on the colored radio station(Mick's lyrics), and the preacher said "you know you always have the Lord by your side. I was so pleased to be informed of this that ran 20 red lights in his honor. Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord...
    Yeah, you know what kind of eyes she had.
  • That *I* ran.
    Darn proof reading.
  • And no, the sub is not hooked up.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    That *I* ran.
    Darn proof reading.

Iran. Great place to get a tan.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Ha. It gave me a Flock of Seagulls flashback. Not really my cup of tea musically but inescapable when it came out in the 80s.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Never toe in SDA speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• And by slightly, I mean like 1/2" or less. (I made some adjustments after my pic was posted, if that is what you are refering to F1, Idk if you saw my previous post) My listening area dictates a seating position 5' in front of the speakers. I think the teeny toe in helps a little on-axis detail make it to my ears, rather than shooting off into space. It hasn't seemed to degrade the sda effect in a big way. Imho, and thank you all for any type of info or suggestions. Keep em coming.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited February 2022
    Properly set up movements of an 1/8 make huge differences. You do not have the proper environment for those. If you're enjoying them, fine. Understand that they need room to breathe.
  • 10-4. I'll try to keep my ears exactly parallel, within 1/8", as I sit.
  • P.s. there pitdogg2, you do realize that in most humans, one ear is larger than the other. I have a surgeon that will make them perfectly equal for the best listening experience. I'm also working on a device similar to the Hans safety harness used in nascar that will hold your head in perfect relationship with your speakers (within 1/16"). It'll be value priced- MSRP $3,650.00ish. It's still in the testing phase. Shall I put you on the very exclusive waiting list for purchase, once it's ready to ship?