5jr front port vs R100/R200

Options
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I was just curious to know what peoples thoughts have been of the 5jr compared to the newer "Reserve" line that is out. Is the Reserve line an upgrade or a side grade in your estimation?

I have done the crossover update and have secured the magnets. They do sound phenomenal but I was just curious if there was any significant increase in performance with the newer design over the older 5jr? Thanks

Comments

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    I have the R200 and 5jr. No mods to 5jr.
    Did a layman's comparison. Different amps, source and placement.

**FWIW, I don't know all the terminology analyzing speakers, nor is my room perfectly setup.

My ears do tell me the R200 outshine on imaging, bass and presentation.
    I moved them all around the room, the sound stage the 200's consistently delivered is better than the 5's did.

The 200's do better with more power you feed them. The 5's do ok but seemed not be as clear, probably due to being stock among other variables.

The feedback I get from friends is they can't believe the sound is from a bookie speaker.

I got mine on sale and thought I'd never pay full price for a set but as time has passed, I've changed my thinking somewhat on that as they sound really good to me.

Polk offers 60 days for a return.
    Crutchfield also has them and offers a 60-day trial period to decide which I've taken advantage of many times, having no issue's returning for something else.

FYI, Polk has in the past not always had the best feedback on returns "not a dig at Polk", hopefully
    they have that corrected.

The best judge is your ears.

• Sigfried
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »

**FWIW, I don't know all the terminology analyzing speakers, nor is my room perfectly setup.

I moved them all around the room, the sound stage the 200's consistently delivered is better than the 5's did.

The 200's do better with more power you feed them. The 5's do ok but seemed not be as clear, probably due to being stock among other variables.

The feedback I get from friends is they can't believe the sound is from a bookie speaker.

I got mine on sale and thought I'd never pay full price for a set but as time has passed, I've changed my thinking somewhat on that as they sound really good to me.

Crutchfield also has them and offers a 60-day trial period to decide which I've taken advantage of many times, having no issue's returning for something else.

FYI, Polk has in the past not always had the best feedback on returns "not a dig at Polk", hopefully

Thank you! I really appreciate your input on that. I have continually read on these forums that Polk offers discounts to this forums members. How exactly does that work? Do you just call them and tell them that you are a forum member and order the speakers directly from them? Confused about that obviously.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Used to be when you signed up with Polk for their newsletter, they would offer a 10% off coupon for purchases. Not sure if they do that anymore.
    Call them and see if they do the 10% thing, all they can say is no.

Used to be a guy named @CarlJacobson_POLK, might contact him although I've not seen much of him here for a while.

Back when they rolled out the Legend/Reserve series, they had some 50% off promotions.
    Not sure if they will ever run that promotion again.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Sigfried wrote: »

Thank you! I really appreciate your input on that. I have continually read on these forums that Polk offers discounts to this forums members. How exactly does that work? Do you just call them and tell them that you are a forum member and order the speakers directly from them? Confused about that obviously.

Polk will from time to time offer deals to the members. There are no deals at this time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Sigfried
    Options
    Used to be when you signed up with Polk for their newsletter, they would offer a 10% off coupon for purchases. Not sure if they do that anymore.
    Call them and see if they do the 10% thing, all they can say is no.

Used to be a guy named @CarlJacobson_POLK, might contact him although I've not seen much of him here for a while.

Back when they rolled out the Legend/Reserve series, they had some 50% off promotions.
    Not sure if they will ever run that promotion again.

Thank you! Appreciate the information.
  • Sigfried
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Sigfried wrote: »

Polk will from time to time offer deals to the members. There are no deals at this time.

Thanks for letting me know!