HT Subwoofer Opinions

2»

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Thanks for the feedback so far.

Maybe because the older PC Ultra was a cylinder sub with 3 ports it had better real world performance in my room?

In my first post, I said 4,000 cu ft, but after measuring again it’s closer to 4,700.

The 15” Mono v1 of course went out of stock in the past couple days. I got on an alert list if they happen to bring it back.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • vader540is
    vader540is Posts: 177
    edited January 2022
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback so far.

Maybe because the older PC Ultra was a cylinder sub with 3 ports it had better real world performance in my room?

In my first post, I said 4,000 cu ft, but after measuring again it’s closer to 4,700.

The 15” Mono v1 of course went out of stock in the past couple days. I got on an alert list if they happen to bring it back.

Sounds like you are sitting in a null. I would highly recommend buying a Umik-1 and getting the free REW software and see what is going on in your room before you return those subs.

Two PB2000 should be very good as long as you have realistic expectations for those two in your room.

IMHO You do have a massive room.

My living room is 16x14x9 with two wide open door ways and I used to have two PB12NSD and I upgraded a bunch of times. Here are some subs.

PB4000
    PB16 Ultra

Rythmik FV15HP

Power Sound Audio TV1512

And now I'm currently content with a Power Sound Audio TV1812

Here is a sweep with ZERO EQ and I love how much headroom I have. I'll buy a 2nd one to fix the nulls I have.

I already bought a Mini-DSP-HD and I'll be learning how to utilize it soon. 1j1f1dx858kv.jpeg

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2022
    This right here!>>>
    vader540is wrote: »
    Sounds like you are sitting in a null. I would highly recommend buying a Umik-1 and getting the free REW software and see what is going on in your room before you return those subs.

Two PB2000 should be very good as long as you have realistic expectations for those two in your room.

My living room is 16x14x9 with two wide open door ways and I used to have two PB12NSD and I upgraded a bunch of times. Here are some subs.

PB4000
    PB16 Ultra

Rythmik FV15HP

Power Sound Audio TV1512

Here is a sweep with ZERO EQ and I love how much headroom I have. I'll buy a 2nd one to fix the nulls I have.

I already bought a Mini-DSP-HD and I'll be learning how to utilize it soon. 1j1f1dx858kv.jpeg

That is a HUGE ROOM you have. It might be worth it to get measurement equipment. A very well known subwoofer guru / manufacture was having response issue with a mega buck installation. After measuring he found where the problem was and the fix was to reverse the phase of one sub!

A big bad 15", 18", 22", 24" sub/s are what you need! I see that you were thinking DIY at one time, have you given up on that idea?

Two of these $199.95 18" monsters in a couple of large ported enclosures powered by a $300 Behringer NX3000 900W/Ch @ 4 Ohm pro amp should rock the house! https://stereointegrity.com/product/ht-18-v3/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K71-KqcJZXs&t=3s
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Those HT18 are a great value.

If you're not comfortable cutting wood etc...you can buy flat packs from GSG & Part express.
  • hochpt21
    edited January 2022
    WLDock wrote: »
    This right here!>>>
    vader540is wrote: »

PB4000
    PB16 Ultra

Rythmik FV15HP

Power Sound Audio TV1512

That is a HUGE ROOM you have. It might be worth it to get measurement equipment. A very well known subwoofer guru / manufacture was having response issue with a mega buck installation. After measuring he found where the problem was and the fix was to reverse the phase of one sub!

A big bad 15", 18", 22", 24" sub/s are what you need! I see that you were thinking DIY at one time, have you given up on that idea?

I still have that Dayton 15” driver, but to be honest, I just don’t (and won’t) have the time for that project.

I may look into the mini dsp and the software, but time and knowledge are problems there as well.

I am wondering in one big sub where the old one was would be better. (I did a sub crawl and had pretty good output from that location.) Just got an email and there are no more Mono 15 v1’s left at the $1,100 price, so it would be $1,500 for the V2.

I may just put one sub where the old one was and see how that compares as a baseline and the go from there.

Thanks for the continued input everyone.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • WLDock
    I may just put one sub where the old one was and see how that compares as a baseline and the go from there.

For sure, most definitely do that. Once you get a baseline of a single 2000 playing at its potential, add the second. Either right next to it, or stacked. See if there is a perceived increase from the coupling effect.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • hochpt21
    WLDock wrote: »

For sure, most definitely do that. Once you get a baseline of a single 2000 playing at its potential, add the second. Either right next to it, or stacked. See if there is a perceived increase from the coupling effect.

The spot is on the left side wall…Can it be set parallel to the wall with the ports pointing to the front of the room? or does it need to point out in the room?
  • WLDock
    The wavelength is pretty long, either front or towards the room is fine. Pointing too close towards a wall should be avoided if possible. Also, getting the ports of both subs close to each other is good, then again the wavelength is so long that its not a big deal. They should still couple to each other.
  • hochpt21
    edited January 2022
    Well I just spent about 2 hours and finally think I’ve solved my issue…placement.

Now I might have a new issue when my wife gets home…placement. :D

These things are absolutely hammering right now. Better output than the old PC Ultra by a slight to fair margin, better overall room coverage, and more difficult to locate with my ears. About what I expected.

Wow, what a difference from when I first tried them up front between my fronts. I mean, very significant.

My room could definitely accommodate bigger subs, but this is what I was looking for as far as size and output for now.

I used the opening scenes from Spectre and the bazooka/bat-bike scene from Dark Night. I don’t want to speak too soon, but I am extremely happy at the moment.

Thank you all for you input thus far and if I have additional issues/questions I will of course bring them to the table.
  • hochpt21
    jj571o7ygy40.jpeg
    dfkw0qr83vd1.jpeg
    7ampopoxii5d.jpeg
  • Awesome! I knew it was a null.

Some ways to get rid of them is move the sub/subs around or get more/bigger subs.